Fenix 6 Series - 20.42 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

This update does bring in a modification to the software update process: If you load 20.42 to your device, disconnect, and choose to install later, it will delay the installation 2 hours and you will then get a prompt and a 30 second countdown. This process is only available if you are updating from 20.41 to 20.42.

20.42 Change Log Notes:

• Improved robustness to nightly altitude calibration.
  • Fixed altitude flatline bug.
  • Fixed potential issue on device boot.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models)6.15
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• …or many days. Latest stable release is quite new for Garmin standards.

probably 21.xx will delver some Fenix 7 features but they do not seem very interesting.

I think at this stage, keeping a good known stable release with auto-update off might be sensible rather than compulsively upgrading for few tangible gains.

• on 18.77b 1hPa increase is associated to weather change

on 20.42b the 1hPa increase seems partially associated to altitude decrease +1hPa is roughly -8 meters, in your case around 3 meters.

This is what I noticed in my case.

• I really can't wait to see what they bring in 21.x. After all these struggles with the latest updates it feels somehow bitter that they'd just conserve Fenix 6 at some stable firmware and move on.

The only one feature, I'm really craving from F7 is up ahead. I actually wrote a very similar idea to their "ideas box" some time ago. And to be fair I'd expect 700$ watches to get something more than just about an year of bug fixes. 

And I can't justify myself paying another 700$ for a software feature.

• now my phone's Bluetooth has several Garmin Fenix 6 solar added to it. Because the idiot software cannot even remember the BT address of a watch that was paired to it before. Really bonkers

nice, keep one and sell the rest ;)

• You can have either great software quality (AW) or great battery life (Fenix), but currently not both. Slight smile

• Exactly, and it feels so absurd that Garmin is the one who's selling software features. 

Even few years old AW will get some new software goodies every year. 

I don't expect Garmin to magically fix all of Fenix' problems in a blink of an eye. I just think that I'd be more okay with having some bugs here and there, knowing that I'll still get some software goodies from time to time. 

And Up Ahead is exactly this type of a goodie I'd expect them to bring us. People were screaming about navigation issues for ages here on the forum. And it's not like the watch needs to compute some wild metric, or use some newest sensor. It's just a list of points it already has preloaded in the course.  

• The point is while Apple can't fix the battery that's by now a "physical" issue....Garmin can improve the software quality that's "soft"...ware. So... 

• Would like to present a different anecdote here... Before and after installing the beta 4 days ago my altimeter (F6 Pro) has been functioning properly (with acceptable accuracy, no external sensors being used and no phone connection) through constantly fluctuating height and weather including during different recorded activities, when indoors and when outdoors. This behaviour is also observed with and without auto calibrate on. Calibration is also possible using DEM when not connected to my phone. Performed a full reset on my device I think after installing the 20.30 firmware.

• Garmin can improve the software quality

Yep, sure. That’s what they do best Smiley

• ..another physical issue of the AW and a matter of taste of course, but the Fenix just looks SO much better!

I'm happy with 20.42. Altimeter had a bit of a rough time with a storm passing, but that's always (before 19.20) been that way and I have no issue with it.