Fenix 6 Series - 20.42 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

This update does bring in a modification to the software update process: If you load 20.42 to your device, disconnect, and choose to install later, it will delay the installation 2 hours and you will then get a prompt and a 30 second countdown. This process is only available if you are updating from 20.41 to 20.42.

20.42 Change Log Notes:

• Improved robustness to nightly altitude calibration.
  • Fixed altitude flatline bug.
  • Fixed potential issue on device boot.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models)6.15
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• Could you check the barometer over the last 24 hours

I am not really convinced this is due to the barometer because the barometer on the black watch running 18.77b also changes  but altitude does not.

So I have seen a 8 foot drop since my last post 2 hours ago

20.42b baro 1019 alt 186 / 18.77b baro 1020 alt 192 

20.42b baro 1020 alt 177 / 18.77b baro 1021 alt 192 

So you can see on black F6 with 18.77b baro did change, but reported altitude did not.  192 as reported with the black watch is almost perfect for the official UK source for my location.

• Unfortunately the connection too my phone is not fixed after all. Whenever the watch looses "sight" of the phone, the digit code for pairing apears on the watch over and over again.

Is anyone else seeing this? 

• Why on my Fenix 6 Sapphire (20.41b) after two hours waiting I did not have prompt to update on 20.42b? I have marked autoupdate as active and below that I can "Install Now" 20.42b but I have to wait for the prompt either? 

• Had this on 20.30 beta, not on the release version thou. I am not beta testing any more, returned mine to 19.21, selling this nightmare watch.

• Beta updates you need to put the file in the Garmin folder and unplug the watch from your computer. Only then you will get the prompt. However, a beta will not allow you to have a direct update to the final release version once is out. You'll need to revert it to the latest release, e,g. 20.30 then, do the upgrade from there to 20.100 or whatever it will be. Its not worth the hassle, because you will lose settings and end up with data corruption sometimes.

• Argh !!! While reading this ... you gave me the worst news of the day ! It is written nowhere that having a beta I'm now outside the public release updates and I have to revert back to latest release and will lose settings ..damn !!! I only read this when decided to be a beta user "x. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, drop the gupdate.gcd file found in the System_Backdate_v*** folder in the \GARMIN directory NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults."

This does neither says nor implies it !

• Argh !!! While reading this ... you gave me the worst news of the day ! It is written nowhere that having a beta I'm now outside the public release updates and I have to revert back to latest release and will lose settings

You don't need to revert!- just wait until 20.60 / 20.70 or whatever is published here, manually update and then you will get automatic updates if you want after that.

Don't panic - just get the new official non-beta release that will appear on this forum in a few days.

• ah ! thanks..much better...sorry I never tried it before...

• Myself only know it by experience. I had 20.01 and .04 on my watch. Updates from beta to beta is working, however downgrade are not. I was trying to revert .04 to .01 when i started to experience major issues. Like my music control wasn't picked up the player on my phone any more. I've copied the .01 file to my watch, disconnected it.... and no prompt to "downgrade" or "upgrade" to 20.01 appeared. Connected my watch again and it just erased the update file silently from the garmin folder. Tried the same with the official 20.30, and it did exactly the same. Just the GUPDATE.GCD deleted itself. I had to revert it to 19.21 and do the update to 20.30 from there. Obviously my settings were erased, now my phone's Bluetooth has several Garmin Fenix 6 solar added to it. Because the idiot software cannot even remember the BT address of a watch that was paired to it before. Really bonkers.

• just get the new official non-beta release that will appear on this forum in a few days.

…or many days. Latest stable release is quite new for Garmin standards. Plus out Fenix 6 is not the latest line of watches. Fenix 7 and Epic Gen 2 will get more attentions.