Stryd is not all it's cut out to be...maybe

This morning I ran twice with one watch hooked up to a Stryd and set to Always use for Pace and Distance and another just on GPS. In both cases the Stryd came up with a longer distance. First up was a trail run that we've been running for years so we know it is close to 9km. Stryd returned 9.31 where my GPS Trail Run gave 8.99 and my wife's 945 8.97km. Next up was parkrun. For those who don't know, parkrun is always 5km. Our parkrun has been accurately measured using a calibrated wheel so we know it's 5.04km from the wheel. And every GPS run we've done has been 5km +/-20m or so. This morning Stryd gave 5.24km while the GPS watches gave 5.02 and 5.01 respectively.

This wasn't the first time out with the Stryd. Several runs on a 400m track and a couple of other trails runs should have seen it calibrated by now. I haven't looked over earlier runs as I did want to make sure I had a number of different runs with the Stryd.

Let's see how things progress. I have done a couple of runs on a 400m track but not sure if I had the Stryd set up properly so can't comment on that except to say the watches gave the same distance. However, I now have the Stryd where I want it so can. and will, do some more comparison runs to see how this plays out.

• I have the feeling that the distance is changing with the temperature and humidity out there. Have you checked this? Honestly I am very unhappy with the device. It seems there Are a lot of influencers out there to support the hoax device Rofl

• why are you not using Track Run here? Track Run is far better than normal run mode or Stryd on a track.

• I have known Gus, the cofounder of Stryd, for a few years now and we have had many many conversations about the accuracy or not of his footpod. It is generally regarded that for any footpod a margin of error of 2% is acceptable. The problem comes when you actually look at what 2% means in real terms. That's a whole 200 metres in a 10km race, which could be a couple of minutes in time for some people. In a marathon 2% is 840 metres! Not far off a whole kilometre!

• You guys should all come and join my Facebook group, UNOFFICIAL Stryd Users! We set it up primarily because the official forum is so ridiculously moderated and controlled. Half the things submitted never get posted. So feel free to join and make your points about the Stryd on that page.

• That’s absolutely my experience. Crazy. The first time I was using Stryd on my marathon I had a 40.x k. Crazy. I never had this before. If I would have known this I would have never bought this device. 2% is not accurate at all. Especially on long distance my error using GPS is usually +-1 % without any impact on the shoes I am using.

This makes me even more angry. Rage

• Stryd measures the step length for the foot with the Stryd. I am guessing here but the error will probably be in mm. It also  measures the duration of the foot movement. This gives the pace This could probably give a decent pace approximation. The error of the distance between two GPS samples is probably in decimeters or meters. This needs some work to be usable as a source for pace.

Distance is a totally different story. I guess Stryd could be somewhat repeatable but probably not better  than +-1% (which I personnaly think is extremely good). GPS could probably be better if conditions are good but can certainly be worse off if conditions are bad.

Since the body weight is known, the pace gives (something that can be used as) the power. It is similar but not equal to the numbers that e.g. Coros and Garmin produces. Stryd has the advantage of sitting on a foot that is planted every other step whereas the other two is sitting on a wrist or on the upper body.

I think a Stryd is usable but far from perfect. Whatever you use, you need to known the limitations and adjust you expectations after that.

• In real world Stryd is off way more than 1%.

Yes there are advantages and disadvantages of those ideas (wrist / foot).

But what I learned (and expensive lesson) is that Stryd is NOT the gold standard. It’s one way to give you some power numbers. Others do the same. Stryd has issues with changing shoes. Others have issues when GPS is bad. You are only exchanging one problem with other ones.

in addition to that you always have to make sure that you laces are really tight. That’s bad for a ultramarathon or even a marathon runner. Because the foot is getting bigger during the race. It is hurting if you would do that. With Stryd and not tight laces: Bad results. Way worse than GPS

• There are definitely people who have bad Stryd units, and there does seem to be variability between units. However, in general the people with problems are going to be more vocal than the people whose devices are functioning as advertised. I'm in the latter camp... I ran on a certified track to fine-tune the calibration of my Stryd, following their instructions as closely as I could (most important: lacing the unit snugly through 5 shoelaces). In the end the calibration factor I would need is 100.1, which is an order of magnitude better than GPS.

Again, I am not saying that other people do not have legitimate problems with Stryd, I'm saying that one cannot simply state "In real world Stryd is off way more than 1%". The reality is more complicated, and more data from more people would be valuable.

• It's funny how some people are furious about fenix 6 gps, others are about stryd.

I've had my issues to start but I'd say it's a learning curve.

I now get very consistent distance, almost identical to strava's fixed distance (which is gps snapped to roads)

My issue I think was that my stryd wasn't fixed securely enough.

Need to do more running though to verify the variation is gone and had to calibrate it.

So gps isn't all, stryd isn't either, pick your medicine but I wouldn't classify both as bad or unusable for me, but as we can all see from this forum on both fenix gps and stryd, ymmv.

• I think a Stryd is usable but far from perfect. Whatever you use, you need to known the limitations and adjust you expectations after that.

Yep! Couldn’t agree more.