Stryd is not all it's cut out to be...maybe

This morning I ran twice with one watch hooked up to a Stryd and set to Always use for Pace and Distance and another just on GPS. In both cases the Stryd came up with a longer distance. First up was a trail run that we've been running for years so we know it is close to 9km. Stryd returned 9.31 where my GPS Trail Run gave 8.99 and my wife's 945 8.97km. Next up was parkrun. For those who don't know, parkrun is always 5km. Our parkrun has been accurately measured using a calibrated wheel so we know it's 5.04km from the wheel. And every GPS run we've done has been 5km +/-20m or so. This morning Stryd gave 5.24km while the GPS watches gave 5.02 and 5.01 respectively.

This wasn't the first time out with the Stryd. Several runs on a 400m track and a couple of other trails runs should have seen it calibrated by now. I haven't looked over earlier runs as I did want to make sure I had a number of different runs with the Stryd.

Let's see how things progress. I have done a couple of runs on a 400m track but not sure if I had the Stryd set up properly so can't comment on that except to say the watches gave the same distance. However, I now have the Stryd where I want it so can. and will, do some more comparison runs to see how this plays out.

• The Stryd is a power meter. It is supposed to be used to measure your power during your runs. It is not and never has been accurate for distance and pace.

I don't understand.

Power is a physical quantity defined as
    power = force * speed
    where
    speed = 1 / pace

This means that if the speed is wrong, the power is also wrong.

• I've sent you another file from today's run.

• Great! Anything special you want to see in the graphs? I don't have time to look at it today but probably tomorrow.

• I'm quite curious about how GPS and Stryd pace look compared.  I suspect Stryd will be shorter than actual distance, if typical.

• I've got a few minutes over so here is the comparison. So, it seems like the GPS is reporting more distance (and faster Pace) in the first half of the run and then it evens out more and more at the end. 

• Total distance reported by the watch/Stryd was 16 296.56 meters
    • Total calculated distance by GPS (without 3D correction) was 16 480.10 meters
    • Total calculated distance by GPS (with 3D correction) was 16 503.94 meters

Blue lines is watch/Stryd data and green lines is GPS data.

• Thanks for doing that - I think Stryd has come up shorter %-wise this time around than the run I gave you a few days back. 

It seems for me at least, pace from Stryd and GPS doesn't really show much difference, the graphs seem to match up very well for the most part, given the received wisdom that GPS pace is bad, and Stryd is good....

• Yes, they seem to align up rather good. But be aware that the distance in the watch (without Stryd) for me always shows shorter distance than the calculated GPS distance. Due to that the accelerometer sometimes kicks in and gives faulty data. But I'm unsure if its the same for all users.

The green GPS pace line in your graph also has an 10 second rolling average.

• You might have noticed from the .FIT data I gave you that there was some extra power and cadence developer fields.

That because - being a sucker for punishment! - I wore 2 Stryds on this run. The power recorded by each device is quite different - if you look at the 1:09:42 mark the power differential is 29 watts. I don't really see the point in running power, but I find it interesting how the 2 devices can report such different power readings. The device reporting the lower power also tends to be even shorter distance-wise than the Stryd providing the pace for this run.

• I did not look so much at the data this time. I just processed the data needed for the graphs.

Funny that the two Stryds give so different data if they are mounted the same.

• Mine worked flawlessly for about a year. Distance was spot on with itself and more consistent than GPS. Then I started noticing it being more and more off. Not sure what's up, if the sensor is messed up or what but I haven't used it in a while. I should probably dust it off and try to update firmware and give it another try. I'd be more interested in it for pace now than overall distance.