This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

(RESOLVED) - GPS Accuracy Issues Starting January 1st 2021

Fenix 6X Pro - s/w 13.10

My last 2 walking routes seem to be way off the mark when viewed on a map, whether in Garmin Connect or Strava. One had me starting 5 miles away.

Any reason for this? Is the GPS accuracy really bad? Are there any tips to improve accuracy?

Thanks for any assistance.

• The long GPS soak before all Outdoor activities will workaround the CPE being Expired and should improve your GPS tracking

Hi Chris, I ask you again this to understand if I am doing correctly. 

Hi Chris, "with no movement" means that the accelerator sensor have to detect no movement so it is better to put it leaning somewhere instead weared  in our wrist? 

We have to start the activity or the watch have to be with GPS on but without push start button?

Here they said that we have to record activity for example but I would like to have an official answer, please. 

there might be a workaround to leave your device stationary and recording in a space open to satellites for 15 minutes. this 'forces' an update of the satellite positions on your watch
  • The issue was resolved very quickly and shortly after it was reported. You should be able to connect to GPS satellites like normal prior to the issue that forced a longer acquisition prior to each Outdoor activity.

Please note, even after you connect to the GPS satellites, it is always recommended you GPS soak. Meaning, wait another 2-3 minutes after satellite acquisition for the best GPS performance.

• Is there a difference in accuracy between waiting 2-3 minutes BEFORE starting an activity and the device self correcting DURING the first 2-3 minutes of an activity?

I other words, should the device be equally as accurate after 2-3 minutes regardless of what you do?

• The self correction may not always be needed if you choose to acquire GPS and start recording/moving right away. You will know if your best practice is an issue or not for you when you view your recorded course in Garmin Connect.

• I other words, should the device be equally as accurate after 2-3 minutes regardless of what you do?

I would think after 2-3 mins the accuracy would be roughly equal, but why would you start an activity immediately if there's a chance the GPS didn't get a good fix?  Then you might have an activity that started off terrible, but eventually got on track.  Too many people do this now and then post how terrible GPS is in Garmin's watches.  Other than the New Year's issue that I don't fault Garmin for, I always 'soak' my GPS for a couple of mins before starting an activity while I'm stretching.  I've been doing this with different Garmin watches for years and I never have issues.

• Because I really don’t want to give all my friends a 2, 3, 4, 5 minute head start each time we do an activity together. Its actually quite embarrassing to make them wait around because I need to soak my expensive watch. I’ve been using Edge 500, 510, 530 (with the same Sony chip) devices for 10 years and never once had to stand around waiting. I don’t need to wait when using my car gps, or google maps on my phone, or Strava on my phone, or Strava on my Samsung Galaxy watch, why is the fenix 6 so special?

• why is the fenix 6 so special?

It's not special. It's just like any other watch by any other manufacturer. Sometimes you get a good GPS fix right off the bat, other times it needs a minute or two. 

(with the same Sony chip) devices for 10 years

No. You may have been using Sony chipsets for the last 10 years, but it's not the same chipset in the Fenix 6.  It was a new chipset designed by Sony within the last couple years specifically designed to use less battery. The 745 has the latest Sony chipset. Did you notice it was the only watch that didn't have New Year's problem? 

I don’t need to wait when using my car gps, or google maps on my phone, or Strava on my phone

Different devices, bigger antennas, faster GPS fix. 

I really don’t want to give all my friends a 2, 3, 4, 5 minute head start each time we do an activity together. Its actually quite embarrassing to make them wait around

Seriously? You all meet at the same time and immediately go?  There's no time for a 2 min soak prior to starting?  C'mon. 

• The Edge 500 and 510 have different chipsets, only the 530 (released in 2019) has the Sony GPS chip. I didn’t use the 530 over New Years, although didn’t see any complaints on the 530 forum either, so maybe they are different Sony chips (DC Rainmaker did specifically mention the 530 in his his article about the Jan 1 issue though) so would seem unlikely.

• It was a new chipset designed by Sony within the last couple years specifically designed to use less battery

What do you think. That the new chipset for free uses less battery? or there is a compromise that, for example, can result in so many negative posts about GPS in fenix 6

• On Marq the issue is still there.