New European TopoActive 2020.10 Map Causing Map Lag on Fenix 6 Series and Tactix Delta

Former Member
Former Member

I installed the new map as well. After updating it took a very long time untill the watchface appeared, installing the map. I made some routes but when i choose one i only get a white screen when zooming out i only see a basemap no details. When i use Around Me i onley see the watchr spinnig endlessly.  I did a hard and soft reset but it took about  2.30 minutes to only  load the maps after reboot, it had never been so slow before.

Then I did a reinstallation of  the Europe Topo maps through GE  but again the time after restart  was as before.

Then i did a Master Reset (delete all user settings). Again sync watch (but not reinstall maps). Hard and soft reset. Now duration for loading maps after reboot  is about 40 to 50 seconds, shorter than before but again too long.... 

I don't know if that's normal for this update....

Today I did a base run everything was OK. I seem a little laggy at  zoom map and I haven't  tried Around Me.

So maybe  there’s definitely  wrong with the map update or I miss something or Garmin???

• The map file names listed by tono1020 above have been confirmed by multi users, if anyone who has a non EU 6X model is able to view their map files and post the names of them Ill add them to the overall document that details current map file names for everyone's use. Previously the issue concerned the gmapdem1 file. When I deleted it, and all the golf course maps, it reverted to lightening quick load and render speeds. I dont have a lag issue with the latest EU topo maps as they wont load for me via GE so I cant test it but would suggest if you ARE suffering from lag examine the DEM files as the first likely culprit

• Thanks for the input. Tried it out with one difference. As I do skiing I kept the ski map. This means that gmapdem1.img and gmapdem1.gma is not installed (maybe this is the one causing problems). Perfect results. Around me and POI super fast. Never seen this before........ Completely happy now.

• big thank you for explanation!

Now it is clear Coverage of Europe, Middle East & Africa 5.80" is Golf Course View map for Europe, Middle East & Africa. And it is displayed in GE for mac as Coverage of ...  

I did exactly what suggested: by steps: 1 - 3, then switched to 8 as "4. if you don't need golf courses in Americas and Pacific then go to step 8"
    8. Disconnect from USB and soft reset.

Just not sure how to do step 8 properly, have found soft reset procedure described as connect power supply and keep light button pressed for 30 sec, then press it again to switch on, what I did.

As result I got Loading map for ages when using Map app (built in). Probably cos of not properly performed step #8?

• No, that is not the problem. With Soft Reset I meant as you did: pressed light button for 30 sec and then power on the watch.
    I guess the problem is with wrong gmapdem1.img (or maybe only .gma) file

Try this:
    - delete all supplementary Golf Course View Map files gmapsup1.*, gmapsup2.*, gmapsup3.* and gmapdem1.*.
    - Disconnect from USB and Soft Reset the watch
    - try Map app

If that does not solve the issue then:
    - delete Europe Topo files also (gmapprom.*, D6185080B.* and gmapdem.*),
    - With Garmin Express reinstall Europe Topo Map

If that does not solve the issue then it is beyond my knowledge.

If Map App works normal and you can use "Around me" feature then you are finished unless you need golf courses:
    - in Garmin Express Install desired Coverage Map (Europe, Middle East & Africa I guess)

If you won't play golf on another continent, then you are finished. If you will, then
    - you have to backup gmapdem1.img and gmapdem1.gma somewhere on computer (or watch, but not under Garmin folder)
    - in Garmin Express install another Coverage Map(s)
    - restore gmapdem1.img and gmapdem1.gma from backup location

I hope this is explanatory enough.

• me too after the map update slowed down ... moreover when I loaded it the watch was no longer detected by the pc .. did it happen to someone else ..? .. may be due to some map bug ..? ... done soft reset and the pc has detected the fenix

• Recently I also noticed an unresponsiveness when connecting the watch via USB. The device (fenix 6X Sapphire) is visible in Windows Explorer, but when you click on it, the Explorer becomes unresponsive.

At first I thought the problem was in the USB hub, but then I found that the connection takes a very long time to established, about 5-6 minutes. After that Windows Explorer become responsive again and Garmin Express indicates that the watch is connected. 

It looks almost as if the computer is performing some sort of "disk" check.

I've been noticing this problem for quite some time, so I'm not sure if it's related to map upgrade issues.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

After more than a week since Garmin can't deal with the mess with the new maps, why not just give users the opportunity to install the old maps, that we used without a problem???

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Former Member

Interesting... about the problem with the ANT/BLE/BT Hub in the FW beta version of Garmin made statement and there is a possibility to install a previous version of ANT/BLE/BT.... About Maps???

• question: as i have the same problem with lagging map and "around me" always has been extreeeemly slow (so i never use it) i would like to ask, how long "around me" loads on your fenix, after deleting the golf maps?

yesterday i deleted the golf maps and "around me" still loads about 60 seconds and calculating a 400m route takes more than 60 seconds as well.

• Hard to tell exactly. It depends on GPS reception and number of POI/Cities around you, In my case it is 8 - 20 seconds.

With "corrupt" golf maps (gmapdem1) "around me" loads forever - I waited 30 minutes and then gave up.