New European TopoActive 2020.10 Map Causing Map Lag on Fenix 6 Series and Tactix Delta

Former Member
Former Member

I installed the new map as well. After updating it took a very long time untill the watchface appeared, installing the map. I made some routes but when i choose one i only get a white screen when zooming out i only see a basemap no details. When i use Around Me i onley see the watchr spinnig endlessly.  I did a hard and soft reset but it took about  2.30 minutes to only  load the maps after reboot, it had never been so slow before.

Then I did a reinstallation of  the Europe Topo maps through GE  but again the time after restart  was as before.

Then i did a Master Reset (delete all user settings). Again sync watch (but not reinstall maps). Hard and soft reset. Now duration for loading maps after reboot  is about 40 to 50 seconds, shorter than before but again too long.... 

I don't know if that's normal for this update....

Today I did a base run everything was OK. I seem a little laggy at  zoom map and I haven't  tried Around Me.

So maybe  there’s definitely  wrong with the map update or I miss something or Garmin???

• If you deleted all IMG and GMA maps then I would recommend next steps:

1. soft reboot the watch (power off, power on) so you can check booting time.
    2. connect the watch, run Garmin Express and install TopoActive Europe 2020.10. The following files will be copied to Garmin folder:
    - gmapbmap.*: Worldwide Basemap
    - gmaptz.*: Time Zone Map
    - gmapprom.*: TopoActive Europe 2020.10, North East
    - D6185080B.*: TopoActive Europe 2020.10, South West
    - gmaprda.*: TopoActive Europe 2020.10 Roads Data?
    - gmapdem.*: Europe DEM (Data Elevation Model) 2017.20
    3. Disconnect the watch, soft reboot, check boot time, "Around me" feature, Pan/Zoom responsiveness, ...
    4. Connect the watch, run GE and install ONLY Coverage of Europe, Middle East & Africa 5.80 map. This is golf courses map. The following files will be copied to Garmin folder:
    - gmapsup2.*: CourseView Int Europe Middle East & Africa 5.80
    - gmapdem1.*: CourseView Worldwide DEM (Digital Elevation Model)
    5. Disconnect the watch, soft reboot and check times.
    If you need golf courses map in Americas and/or Pacific then you have to backup gmapdem1.* somewhere, because instaling another golf map seems to copy "corrupted" gmapdem1.* files.
    In that case:
    6. Connect the watch and using for example Windows Explorer copy gmapdem1.* to disk drive or another folder in watch (not under Garmin folder)
    7. Using GE install another golf course map, for example Coverage of Pacific 5.30
    8. overwrite gmapdem1.* in Garmin folder with backup copy from step 6.
    9. Disconnect the watch, soft reboot and check times.

Be aware that each additional map means slower navigation operations even if you turn off maps in Configure Maps, so I recommend installing only the essential maps.
    These are just my experiences. But I would expect some response from Garmin, not that users are trying to figure out what is causing the problems and what to do to get around them.

• If I delete all these files and install my own osm map the watch will funtional normally without battery drain or any other problems?

• I don't know what you mean with "my own osm map", but you can of course try it. You can allways install another map or delete your own if you encounter some problems.

At that moment I only have Europe Topo map and watch is snappy.

BTW: as of yesterday there is new version of Garmin Express (7.0.1.0) so maybe the problem is already solved.

• from the changelog at least the update is addressing something else

• Fixed an issue that prevented users from being able to redeem voucher codes for maps.
    • Fixed an issue that prevented users from selecting View Details for a map update if their device was disconnected.
  • I did a reinstall of my maps with GE 7.0.1.0. and it did not solve the problem. "Around me" is still annoying slowly.

I also then deleted all map files and did a reinstall of Topo Europe only. Map view is ok, but the Around me issue remains.  

• On my Fenix 6X Sapphire with only Europe Topo map and beta FW 9.94 Around me takes 4-5 seconds to show map when GPS signal is good.

I suggest you to contact Chris from Garmin. Maybe he knows the workaround until engineers solve this issues.

• I deleted all the gmap files and I reloaded the maps via Garmin Connect and I no longer have the problem. This often happens to me when reading maps for me, it's not the software but the download that should be a problem.

• This worked for me - thanks! 

• hi . this is how long you wait after clicking around me