6 Series map file details

Following an update to V 9.0 and a map update via Garmin Express Ive seen a hike in battery consumption and a long load time for maps on starting the watch. Id like to delete the map and associated files not pertinent to my area (UK/Europe).

1. Could someone kindly let me know which Disc Images relate to which maps? I recognise that gmaptz is the time zone map and gmapski is the ski map but the others Im not sure of.

2. Should you delete the corresponding GMA file when deleting the image file?

3. I seem to have a GMA file with no corresponding image file: 0933045096.GMA any idea why that should be 

• I have the same problem. Don't know which file corresponds which map.

• I think there was already a post some where about this.

What you can also do is install Basecamp connect your watch and after a long while of laoding it will show you which file belongs to which map.

• I deleted all the map files and uploaded only my region.

• The basemap (gmapbmap) and the time zone map (gmaptz) should be installed anywayWink

• 2020-Garmin Maps Inventory.pdf

I already asked myself the same question. 

Here I provide a raw, as is amd uncommented snap shot of the information I collected up to now.

Beyond the originally installed maps, a OSM and a City Navigator map have been installed.

Basecamp, Watch and GC differ in their opinions on what maps they "see".

• So the GMAPSUP1,2 and 3 are the golf course maps by the looks of things

• I recognized the same issue. Even when opening the maps it takes ages for it to be shown.

today I made 80km ride on my roadbike. Navigation calculated for approx 8 minutes! Changing the scale from 200m to 800m did not happen faster than 3 minutes while riding. What is wrong?? :-( 

• Yes it's a bug (very long loading of maps after installing the latest versions of coverage maps (CourseView Maps) ...)

During their installation, each new coverage map installs the GMAPDEM1.img file and the GMAPDEM1.GMA files. If one of the coverage maps was already present the installation process of the new map overwrites the GMAPDEM1.img and GMAPDEM1.GMA files. I checked the checksum is in fact only the content of the GMAPDEM1.GMA file seems to change.

It is from this moment that I observe the problems of loading time of the maps.

I did several tests. By erasing all the files of the coverage maps there is no more problem. From this moment if I reinstall only one of the 3 coverage maps from Garmin Express it still works, there is no bug (no problems of very long loading times of the maps).. It is from the installation of the second coverage map that the bug appears because the GMAPDEM1.img and GMAPDEM1.GMA files overwrites.

If manually under windows explorer I paste the first GMAPDEM1.img and GMAPDEM1.GMA files (those of the first installation) all come back in order. Similarly, instead of installing the other coverage maps with garmin express, I manually paste the files of the other two maps under Windows Explorer (for example gmapsup2.gma; gmapsup2.img; gmapsup3.gma; gmapsup3. Img). there is no bug and I have the 3 coverage maps installed without any slowdown when loading maps.

• The coverage maps simply seem to be the maps of golf courses in the world.
    - gmapsup2.gma gmapsup2.img these are the maps of golf courses in europe, middle east & africa
    - gmapsup1.gma gmapsup1.img these are the golf course maps of north and south america
    - gmapsup3.gma gmapsup3.img these are the maps of the golf courses of pacific
    -gmapdem1.img gmapdem1.gma it must be the topometric data of golf maps in the world.

However, if they are properly installed there is no additional slowdown

• Other than free disk space, do we gain something if we delete what we don't need? More battery life?