New European TopoActive 2020.10 Map Causing Map Lag on Fenix 6 Series and Tactix Delta

Former Member
Former Member

I installed the new map as well. After updating it took a very long time untill the watchface appeared, installing the map. I made some routes but when i choose one i only get a white screen when zooming out i only see a basemap no details. When i use Around Me i onley see the watchr spinnig endlessly.  I did a hard and soft reset but it took about  2.30 minutes to only  load the maps after reboot, it had never been so slow before.

Then I did a reinstallation of  the Europe Topo maps through GE  but again the time after restart  was as before.

Then i did a Master Reset (delete all user settings). Again sync watch (but not reinstall maps). Hard and soft reset. Now duration for loading maps after reboot  is about 40 to 50 seconds, shorter than before but again too long.... 

I don't know if that's normal for this update....

Today I did a base run everything was OK. I seem a little laggy at  zoom map and I haven't  tried Around Me.

So maybe  there’s definitely  wrong with the map update or I miss something or Garmin???

• I'm still on 9.0 but have the problems. Not FW related. 

• The Topo maps will work just not the golf or ski maps. You could probably get away with leaving the ski map enabled. I think the issue is somehow related the the sup maps & dem1 interaction 

• I haven't dem1 file on my device because it cause an issue with elevation plot, so it's not the cause.

• @garmin Is there confirmation for this issue. It seems to be a reproducible problem?

• I found the solution that works for me in another thread: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/224749/6-series-map-file-details/1061305#1061305

The problem is not in Europe Topo map but the combination of Golf CourseView Maps (gmapsup1, gmapsup2, gmapsup3) and Golf CourseView DEM map (gmapdem1).
    The problem occurs when you install/update second CourseView map with Garmin Express, because GE overwrite existing DEM files (gmapdem1.img, gmapdem1.gma).

1. delete (or move to another folder that is not under GARMIN) all golf CourseView maps:
          a) gmapsup1.img + .gma (CourseView Intermediate Americas 6.20)
          b) gmapsup2.img + .gma (CourseView Int Europe Middle East & Africa 5.80)
          c) gmapsup3.img + .gma (CourseView Intermediate Pacific 5.30)
    2. delete (or move) Golf CourseView Worldwide DEM map (gmapdem1.img and gmapdem1.gma)
    3. using Garmin Express install first CourseView Map, for example Europe Middle East & Africa (gmapsup2). GE also "create" gmapdem1.img and gmapdem1.gma
    4. if you don't need golf courses in Americas and Pacific then go to step 8.
    5. Backup gmapdem1.img and gmapdem1.gma somewhere.
    6. Using GE install other CorseView maps
    7. Overwrite gmapdem1.img and gmapdem1.gma with backup copy from step 5.
    8. Disconnect from USB and soft reset.

• @bodya I totally agree with you, Garmin should at least acknowledge the issue and tell the users that there is an issue and they are working on it. Would make it much easier for us and actually this is a key functionality for the Fenix Pro series watches. Without navigation one of the core Pro features is gone... Currently maps are not really usable...

• Thanks for these pointers. I just copied all img and gma files to my PC for safety/backup, deleted the lot from the watch and then reinstalled just the Topoactive Europe map(s) as I don't play golf or ski.

First boot, even hard reset boot, was lightning quick and navigation options are also running as if on steroids.

• Are you sure on the step #3 map which should be installed is named CourseView? My GE shows only Coverage of Europe, Middle East & Africa 5.80, there is no map named CourseView.

• Yes, I am sure, "Coverage of Europe, Middle East & Africa 5.80" is Golf Course View map for Europe, Middle East & Africa and the file name is gmapsup2.img (and .gma).
    If you have some kind of binary file viewer you can check up yourself - there is map name in every IMG file near the beginning of file.

Here is the file names and map descriptions:

gmapsup1.* - Golf course view Americas
    gmapsup2.* - Golf course view Europe, Middle East & Africa
    gmapsup3.* - Golf course view Pacific
    gmapdem1.* - DEM (Digital Elevation Model) map for golf course view Worldwide

gmapprom.* - Topo active Europe North East
    D6185080B.* - Topo active Europe South West
    gmapdem.* - Europe DEM (Digital Elevation Model) map

gmapbmap.* - Worldwide base map

gmaptz.* - Time zone map
    gmaprda.* - Road drawing accelerator
    gmapski.* - Ski map

Edit: you can also rename those file names, but you have to change the corresponding XML tags in GarminDevice.xml file also. There could be problems with next maps updates. I wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you are doing.