Awful GPS track, any fix incoming?

Based on a few weeks of observations, GPS track on the Fenix 6 Pro is absolutely horrendous, probably the worst I have had on any device. Yet, surprisingly the total distance displayed is about right.

Case in point, I recently I ran a marathon in mostly open/forested area in Maine. Most other GPS devices had no issues, it was easy reception. Check out the traces, I picked a dozen or so other runners around me in Strava flyby; the 6 Pro is the black line

https://imgur.com/a/Lkw6ooH

It's not just these three areas, during the entire 26 miles it was almost always the outlier. It is BY FAR the WORST GPS track of all of them. The guy I was running with had an ancient TomTom and his trace was pretty much the entire time on the road, spot on. Yet, this brand new, premium priced device from the market leader MISERABLY FAILS in the one thing it should do well, GPS tracking. It’s sad and I feel like a fool for purchasing it.

Are we aware of any incoming fixes for this? I have a few more days before I have to return this to REI.

• Can Stryd be used natively ie, I use the existing Garmin apps and it registers are a footpod and power source, or do I have to use the Stryd app on the watch?

• You only need the app for power, speed and distance can be used natively.

I hope that Garmin will provide the functionality to create power based plans btw

• Same here on my 6st

I tried all gps settings /combinations and the track never follows the road or track, cuts huge corners, I run through canals, the other side of the block etc. But distance tracked is reasonably accurate. 

This needs fixing imho... 

• That's a really interesting read. I am going to try turning GLONASS off too.

Thanks for sharing

• You install the widget and then just add the power data field to any screen for that activity.  It will then record a bunch of metrics and they will show up in Garmin connect and Stryd power center.  It's really cool and just works like its a part of the watch once installed.  You set the watch to use Stryd for speed and distance always and it will use it (only if stryd is connectd).  Also, you turn off auto-calibration and set it 100.

• You wrote:  "I did let it soak in for 5 sec or so before the run, maybe too short"

Having got through half dozen iterations of the Forerunner series, then almost every Fenix (except Fenix 1).  I've come to learn that all garmin (and I've read similar for other  wrist based GPS devices). that  letting the GPS soak is almost always a great idea.  Not 5 seconds.  Minutes.
    And if you travel to even a slightly different area,  start an activity with the gps facing up and let it go for over 20 minutes (thats the cycle time to get data through all the satellites <-- there is a more technical name fit this )

Then when its 5 to 10 min before event start.  Let the device get a good solid soak. The bar turning green is NOT (repeat is NOT) indicator on full solid lock. It just means its got minimal info.  You might be off server meters or more in any dimension.   Thats when you can see tracks that may generally follow a trail, but are off a larger distance in one axis.

all the above said..  The Sony GPS chipset is still being improved on firmware wise by Garmin Suuntu and others using it.
    Its used primarily because its power requirements are quite lower than some others. There are hundreds of online thread and articles talking about it.

Sorry your marathon tracks were bad for you.      

• I agree with a Scott to the extent that in my experience the completely plastic watches (935, 245) have performed better for me w/r/t GPS tracks than the F5, F5+ or F6. 

There are other benefits to the Fenix line, but GPS tracking while running isn’t one of them. 

• In addition, I've found that different maps produce different results, regarding the track's placement on the map.  Some maps put my track ON the road, others off the road, depending on direction, generally, the E/W tracks are farther off than the N/S ones.

• could you please elaborate on that matter  (direction of maps, E/W vs N/S)?

never heard of it and couldn't find an explanation online. thanks!

• Here is one instance, clear skies, no trees or buildings close by.  Note the E/W track is more "off" than the "N/S? ones.  

That may be "my bad", I can't find the tracks that I was thinking of, or, if they were there, they would have been using an old Fenix 5x, and not my 5+.  I don't have a fenix 6, so that may have improved, although the below track (walking) seems to be pretty darn good, at least for my purposes.  I wonder if the F6 would improve on this?

However, this track seems to be pretty good. (Link) 

The "squiggles" are where I sat, and the GPS still was pinging, I don't like to use pause for a short stop.