Awful GPS track, any fix incoming?

Based on a few weeks of observations, GPS track on the Fenix 6 Pro is absolutely horrendous, probably the worst I have had on any device. Yet, surprisingly the total distance displayed is about right.

Case in point, I recently I ran a marathon in mostly open/forested area in Maine. Most other GPS devices had no issues, it was easy reception. Check out the traces, I picked a dozen or so other runners around me in Strava flyby; the 6 Pro is the black line

https://imgur.com/a/Lkw6ooH

It's not just these three areas, during the entire 26 miles it was almost always the outlier. It is BY FAR the WORST GPS track of all of them. The guy I was running with had an ancient TomTom and his trace was pretty much the entire time on the road, spot on. Yet, this brand new, premium priced device from the market leader MISERABLY FAILS in the one thing it should do well, GPS tracking. It’s sad and I feel like a fool for purchasing it.

Are we aware of any incoming fixes for this? I have a few more days before I have to return this to REI.

• GPS + GLONASS is not the best choice fellrnr.com/.../GPS_Accuracy

That's kind of an old article, though. None of the tested devices used a Sony chip, and the most recent Fenix model tested was the Fenix 3.

The fact is, there is no "one size fits all" answer for what the best GPS setting is for this watch. Some people get the best tracks with Glonass, some with Galileo, some with GPS only. And sometimes people get better tracks on some days with one setting, and better tracks different days with a different setting.

The only right answer is to try each setting a few times, and decide for yourself which mode works best for you.

• It's hard to tell from the Imgur images posted by OP, because there is no scale on the pictures, but it seems like the track is never off by more than about 20 feet or so.

So, I find it funny that he refers to it as "total crap". Why is sub-1-meter accuracy so critical for you? The distance seems to be measuring right, so... is it just an OCD thing, where it causes you anxiety if you the line doesn't stay perfectly on the path?

For most people, we only care whether the track shows a good representation of where we were. We're not using the track to draw a pirate map to buried treasure. For most people, 20-foot accuracy is fine. If you need it to be more accurate, then perhaps a wrist-watch GPS isn't the right product for you.

• 20ft on one side, 20ft on another, pretty soon we are talking 40ft. Actually it's probably more than that. What is annoying is that 1) a $149 6-year old TomTom seems to be nailing this;  2) my old FR935 was far far better;  3) People who think this is the state of the art for $700;  4) Garmin thinking this is ok.

• Same here on my 6st

I tried all gps settings /combinations and the track never follows the road or track, cuts huge corners, I run through canals, the other side of the block etc. But distance tracked is reasonably accurate. 

This needs fixing imho... 

• This is not a bad observation. The metal case definitely must have some impact on GPS signals that are incredibly weak. Hands down my best GPS was a Suunto Ambit 2R. It had an external antena that essentially a plastic notch on the bottom of the watch extending into the band. Positioned as is, it was always turned toward the sky when running.

All this makes me sad. I see very little hope of this getting fixed. 

I called Garmin and all they said was delete a folder so an EPO file gets recreated (basically a listing of satellites and their locations so the watch knows what frequencies to look for in a given day/place)

• Same here on my 6st

I tried all gps settings /combinations and the track never follows the road or track, cuts huge corners, I run through canals, the other side of the block etc. But distance tracked is reasonably accurate. 

• Indeed, Running and swimming tracks are very very bad and unaccurate. Bike tracks are perfect. I have uploaded a picture from the same run session, recoded with my fenix6Pro and with my android phone with the strava app. Find the difference ;)
    I have tried all the GPS settings , always same issue. This is my second fenix6pro, already replaced at the shop as the first had the same issue. Now i'm thinken to send back and refund my money, but I like the design, quality and for sure the very good battery performance, so I think I will keep it, but Garmin please, release an update to solve this issue, this is a high-end watch and should work perfectly
    http://chiefz.be/fenix/fenix6pro.jpg

• Same here on my 6st

• This is EXACTLY what I am seeing. Saying "this is state of the art" is complete BS. Other devices can produce much better results, including past Garmin devices. They released a subpar product knowingly. I feel like a fool.

• 3 chipsets: 

Fenix 6 = Sony.  Sony got panned on the new Suunto.

Fenix 1-5= Mediatek.  Not great at all.

310XT, Polar 800, Suunto, Etc. and older = SIRF chips (now owned by Braodcom)

SIRF was great.

MediaTek is not so great.

Sony is TBD with bad starts with other manufactures.  Since Broadcom took SIRF out as an option, they have been struggling on accuracy.

Best option IMHO:

Garmin 5X+, 6... combined with Stryd and Garmin speed sensor.  You get average tracks with great distance accuracy.