Awful GPS track, any fix incoming?

Based on a few weeks of observations, GPS track on the Fenix 6 Pro is absolutely horrendous, probably the worst I have had on any device. Yet, surprisingly the total distance displayed is about right.

Case in point, I recently I ran a marathon in mostly open/forested area in Maine. Most other GPS devices had no issues, it was easy reception. Check out the traces, I picked a dozen or so other runners around me in Strava flyby; the 6 Pro is the black line

https://imgur.com/a/Lkw6ooH

It's not just these three areas, during the entire 26 miles it was almost always the outlier. It is BY FAR the WORST GPS track of all of them. The guy I was running with had an ancient TomTom and his trace was pretty much the entire time on the road, spot on. Yet, this brand new, premium priced device from the market leader MISERABLY FAILS in the one thing it should do well, GPS tracking. It’s sad and I feel like a fool for purchasing it.

Are we aware of any incoming fixes for this? I have a few more days before I have to return this to REI.

• Can you tell me from my half marathon yesterday if my tracks are normal for this device? I have a Fenix 6S Sapphire. The out and back sections look like the tracks diverge a lot, and often show me running through people's houses or just generally running wobbly and not in a straight line. It gets the final distance spot on but the tracks aren't very accurate. I use GPS + Galileo / 1 sec.

Strava link to run here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2784792929

• Personally.  My opinion only.  I think the tracks are on par with the F3 - F6 series.  Quite regularly there will be some wobbly nature in a track  like that.  Distance. Glad it was close for you. I've come to learn and not expect distance to match with any wrist based GPS.  Footpods are known to get very accurate pacing and distance info if thats critically important. (its not for me so I dont have one).

DC Rainmaker has some lengthy posts about wrist based GPS and distance. Especially how difficult it is to get accurate distance during road races.  It comes down to people do not run the shortest path in which they measure the course.  And each time you make a turn, you introduce more added distance.

• Those are ok tracks. If I had tracks anywhere close to that I would not have made the post. 

It is slowly dawning on me that I have a defective device.

• Here Is a GPS track in which I would say me F5x went a bit bonkers on me (I didnt have the 6X yet).   Some people maybe be infuriated, pissed off mad about it.  Perhaps justified.  I've had enough GPS devices to know that every once in awhile you get a crap track.  You'll know it happened when you run a route you are familiar with and you start notice alerts at new times.   As you can see I ran a number of 5k-ish loops.  On one of the loops its like something just got mixed up, and the entire loop the Y-axis was shifted.  

if a watch did this every time, I would return it.  But in my experience its rare.  And the worse times it could possible happen is during a race.  We all like to see spot on exact tracks.  IMHO thats just rare.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2532691131

• Let me finish with the official Garmin stance:

This is a consumer device and Garmin considers consumer devices deviations of 15m on one side or another as within specs. That is, being on the same spot on runs back-and-forth, the tracks can deviate up to 30m off center. They looked at it and said that my Fenix 6 Pro was just within that. 

So here we have it. It's not "3m" as someone suggested, "normal" for Garmin Fenix 6 / 6 Pro devices is 15m in either direction.

There also was a strong suggestion going with a Garmin 945 instead for running activities as the plastic case will yield better results in comparison with any device with a metal bezel.

So there we have it. If you are satisfied with 15m deviation, then the Fenix 6 is ok. Personally, this is not within a reasonable spec for premium devices in 2019. That said I am grateful for Garmin support coming clean on this.

•  my opinion is that this is not a correct statement from Garmin, then the track should also have  a deviation of 30 meters. when using with biking , but then the track is almost perfect on spot. The issue appears only with running and swimming. 

• IDK. That's what Garmin support said. We don't know all the interactions and engineering that goes into this statement. 

To say this again: 15m accuracy is pretty ***, but at least I know that that's what the product does. It's pretty ***, no other way to say this. Defending Garmin or the device won't make the accuracy any better. And apparently I should not expect any software fixes either. 

Strangely, I appreciate support coming out with this more than I thought I would. At least I know.

• I think that's a little disingenuous. Yes consumer GPS accuracy is up to +/- 15m but in reality we tend to generally achieve much better, well at least I do. Even on some of the gnarly trail runs in the bush that I have done, I have tended to get closer to +/- 5m. However, it does change. Some days are better than others. But If I can look at the track and see that it generally follows the path I took then I am happy. I won't bother to zoom in unless I am aware of an issue. Of more importance to me is distance and pace. 

As notes, sometimes you get a crap track, most times you do not. Well I don't.

• My 6X is definitely getting much better than 15m accuracy.

I'd say 95% of the time, it's more like 2-3m accuracy. Even the other 5% of the time, it's never worse than about 6m accuracy.

At any rate, it's not worth arguing about. One person's opinion about a track being *** isn't the same as another's. No point bickering. I hope you find whatever watch you're looking for.

• And that's great and I am envious. Unfortunately, I get crap tracks nearly all the time.