Ticket Created
over 4 years ago

WERETECH-7119, WERETECH-7120, WERETECH-8181

Split issues in this thread into multiple issues.

MapView and MapTrackView classes are broken - even more on CIQ3.1

Hi, 

not only that CIQ 3.0 implementation of MapView and MapTrackView still have more issues than actual working features, CIQ 3.1 even made them worse. 

Newly, UI rendered by both classes can not be refreshed on CIQ 3.1 devices by calls from code after first initialisation - for example by setMapVisibleArea method as it is described here:

https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/discussion/191378/fenix-6-ciq-maps-implementation/932413#932413

I can summary also the older issues if it will help somebody to take care of them in one run. But some of them are already mentioned on various places of the forum without any positive reaction from CIQ team, so I don't want to waste time if nobody ask for them.   

Will there be please finally time to fix those important parts of CIQ after settling down dust from CIQ 3.1 public release? This is kind of things why Connect IQ is extremely hard to use for any more complex apps which should be perfectly doable according to documentation.  In my case I have to disable maps on all CIQ 3.1 devices until the problems will be solved leaving my users confused again. Disappointed

Parents
  • Ok, lets be little bit more helpful. There are some of mentioned older issues what I can recall now: 

- if users used maps in native apps before opening CIQ app - it may put MapView/MapTrackView to wrong states like showing UI for zooming while reporting MAP_MODE_PREVIEW. In this case it is imposible to do any workaround in app to return classes or map screens to proper states. 
    - similar things happening when using different map types before. User experience of CIQ app is then broken.
    - simulator and real devices have quite different behaviour, so development only with testing on sim is not possible for these classes. 
    - Map screens periodically go to blank screen for few seconds on real devices. 
    - Location arrow can't be hidden. Even when the GPS is off. It then show some weird movement based on last acquired heading not related to last known position - very confusing. 
    - view transitions from or to MapView/MapTrackView is not working properly. I spent days to make workarounds for this, can't remember full details now. 
    - it is not possible to get newly user defined zoom or position leaving whole MAP_MODE_BROWSE and its UI completely useless for any serious implementation. 

And now try anybody explain me again, that CIQ3.0 can be considered as stable version after one and half year when documentation still looks like there are no issues at all.. It still seems that these classes are there only to fill some internal checkbox and they are not meant for actual development. So again sorry for my negative tone here. 

Comment
  • Ok, lets be little bit more helpful. There are some of mentioned older issues what I can recall now: 

- if users used maps in native apps before opening CIQ app - it may put MapView/MapTrackView to wrong states like showing UI for zooming while reporting MAP_MODE_PREVIEW. In this case it is imposible to do any workaround in app to return classes or map screens to proper states. 
    - similar things happening when using different map types before. User experience of CIQ app is then broken.
    - simulator and real devices have quite different behaviour, so development only with testing on sim is not possible for these classes. 
    - Map screens periodically go to blank screen for few seconds on real devices. 
    - Location arrow can't be hidden. Even when the GPS is off. It then show some weird movement based on last acquired heading not related to last known position - very confusing. 
    - view transitions from or to MapView/MapTrackView is not working properly. I spent days to make workarounds for this, can't remember full details now. 
    - it is not possible to get newly user defined zoom or position leaving whole MAP_MODE_BROWSE and its UI completely useless for any serious implementation. 

And now try anybody explain me again, that CIQ3.0 can be considered as stable version after one and half year when documentation still looks like there are no issues at all.. It still seems that these classes are there only to fill some internal checkbox and they are not meant for actual development. So again sorry for my negative tone here. 

Children
  • Related to the issue where CIQ apps have no control over map states, if your last activity was golf on the F6, the maps you get in your CIQ map will be of golf courses.

Apps really need more control of the MapView settings.  You don't have the tools to get the current state, nor do you have the tools to set the current state.  This makes for a pretty poor user experience.

For my use, where I rolled all my own zoom in/out code so I could have it match my bread crumb map page, things were working pretty well with 3.0.  3.1 is definitely a step backwards and hopefully they can get it fixed quickly.