Fenix 6 CIQ Maps implementation

Hi,

I got reports from my users, that CIQ Map views capabilities in my apps are quite broken on Fenix 6 models. 

As I don't have any F6 device with me for tests right now and I am unable to provide any technical details from my side yet, I wanted to ask whether there aren't already some known details about this which can be shared on forum with everyone. Or is there some change log related to this? 

I must admit I had to do lots of workarounds even for CIQ 3.0 Map implementation in the past to have it at least on some acceptable level of usability, so maybe this can be causing issues in my case.

What others experiences on F6?  

Thanks Jan

Top Replies

All Replies

• So it does seems so far to me, that MapView isn't able to update itself with repeating call of setMapVisibleArea after first initialisation. Same thing for repeated call of setMapMarker. The map responds to new configuration (updated location etc) only after reinitialisation of MapView. 

All is working fine on simulator - the issue is only on real device (F6X Solar), which I don't have in my hands now, but I am assuming this from provided videos of my app behaviour. 

Can somebody else confirm this please? There will not be probably much devs who are using it like this. :-/

• MapView or MapTrackView?

For things where the map is static, I use MapView, but for this like displaying a map in an activity, I use MapTrackView.  The map centers on the current location without any interaction, and the track is shown without a need for a polyline.  I also only do setMapvisibleArea in initialize.

With the same build of your app, are you hearing of problems from users with other devices with onboard maps (the f5+, etc) and you may want to check the version of the CIQ VM on those devices, as i could be something specific to a 3.1.x VM  (users can see this in "About"), or could be something specific to the f6.

• Hi Jim, it is MapView. I wasn't able to use MapTrackView for several reasons (some mentioned here ) . 

So far I was able to do tests only with 3.0 CIQ devices where it is working as before, so not sure if it is F6 related or CIQ3.1 related yet.  I will try to find out. 

BTW, track polyline is automatically rendered also in MapView, not only MapTrackView on real devices.

• Yes, I forgot the track is shown in MapView.  As I said, I only use that where the map is static.

• You are correct.  MapView and MapTrackView - doesn't matter, really aren't working on the Fenix 6 or the 945.  They work great for static setup, but once you start updating the polylines or markers, things quickly go south.  You should contact Garmin with this issue.  I already have.  

Everything draws properly if I leave the MapTrackView page and come back, ie create a new MapTrackView and then reset these fields.

I've actually disabled them by default on my Dog Tracker Plus app with a menu setting for users to turn them back on.

• changing the viewport after the initial setup also doesn't work.  I manually control the zoom in/out which no longer works until you come back to the map page.

• Thanks . Great, so as expected - it is already known but on public portals there is no relevant information forcing the devs to find it out from complaints of their users and create duplicate reports. I don't want to comment what I think about this again. :(

Anyway, it is exactly my findings, so it affects whole CIQ 3.1 then. Ok, I will create relevant thread in bug forum at least for others...