Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Possible to also add an option for the top field to select to either display time or Lap number?
  • Update
    - Reduce memory usage
    - Fenix 3, D2 Bravo and 920XT:
    Add metrics: Efficiency Factor, Efficiency Index and Power/HR. All watches have these metrics now

- 735XT, 935 and Fenix 5
    Add zone-based power alerts. All watches that support alerts also support zone alerts, now.

- Add option to display clock or lap number in the header.
    - Fenix 3, 920XT and D2 Bravo always show the lap number

- The "fancy metric" quota for Fenix 5, FR935, 735XT is:
    Two of:
    - NP/NP Zone (only counted once)
    - 30-second metrics
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've updated the field in the store for large memory watches: Fenix 5X, 5+, D2 Charlie, D2 Delta, Descent MK1

Now you can specify power alerts by zone, for the whole activity or for your laps, in a separate setting (Power Alerts - Zones)

e.g. Use zone 2 for whole activity: 2
    Use zone 2 for lap 1 and zone 4 for lap 3: 2, 0, 4

As before, 0 means "no alert".

Leave that setting blank to use the high/low alert settings.

Thanks for adding the Lap number option. Have been using the app for a couple of runs now and its working great.
    One very minor request. I noticed the timer field when it gets to 4 digits, the fonts size decrease to much smaller size to fit into the field I assume. I know you mentioned there are technical limitations to increasing the font sizes so not sure if it's possible to increase the fonts of maybe only first 2 digits when it reaches 4 digits.
  • jtsang no worries.

What watch are you using? The way it works is that the app will try to use the biggest numbers possible that will fit in the field.

The middle row fields should be able to fit "9:59:59" without shrinking, which is why I put the timer there. The top and bottom rows should be able to fit "9:59" without shrinking the numbers (good for pace). If not, that's a problem I have to look into.

Did you move the timer to the top or bottom row?

The thing I mentioned was about zone numbers with letters like "1a". Letters will be printed smaller on Garmin watches, because the big fonts only have numbers (to save space on the watch). So it shouldn't apply in this case.
  • jtsang no worries.

What watch are you using? The way it works is that the app will try to use the biggest numbers possible that will fit in the field.

The middle row fields should be able to fit "9:59:59" without shrinking, which is why I put the timer there. The top and bottom rows should be able to fit "9:59" without shrinking the numbers (good for pace). If not, that's a problem I have to look into.

Did you move the timer to the top or bottom row?

The thing I mentioned was about zone numbers with letters like "1a". Letters will be printed smaller on Garmin watches, because the big fonts only have numbers (to save space on the watch). So it shouldn't apply in this case.

I see. I have the Garmin Fenix 5 plus and I was using the timer on the upper left field. I was used to having the timer and distance fields on top screen. Makes sense now. I'll keep the timer and distance in the middle row since they won't shrink the numbers.
  • jtsang, yeah sorry. With the 6 field layout, you have to pick your spots strategically. I went with 6 because I think most people who use this kind of field want more than the 4 that Garmin offers, but I'd like to hear what all of you think.
  • Update 3.0
    - Add support for recording power to FIT file (Fenix 5+/5X, D2 Charlie/Bravo, 645M)

- EXPERIMENTAL: Add support for 645M. 645M users will have to set the ANT ID of their power meter in the app settings.

- EXPERIMENTAL: Add support for connecting to power meter using ANT ID. I don't own a power meter, so I can't test this. Please let me know if it doesn't work!

For Stryd users, the ANT ID can be found be connecting Stryd as a cadence foot pod:

https://support.stryd.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000949753-Garmin-FR-230-235-630-735-with-Stryd
  • Update 3.1
    - Fix 645M crash. Improve recording behaviour when power data unavailable
  • Update 4.0
    - EXPERIMENTAL: Add support for Vivoactive 3, 3M, HR; Approach S60; 645
    Like 645M, these watches require you to enter the ANT ID of your power meter. These watches do not support rolling average metrics or normalized power.

- Fix crash with HR zone on some watches

I need your help!

Anyone who has a Vivoactive 3/3M/HR, 645/645M or Approach S60: Please let me know if the field works. I know it doesn't crash in the simulator, but what I can't test is whether it will work with your power meter. (Although I have no reason to believe it won't).
  • jtsang, yeah sorry. With the 6 field layout, you have to pick your spots strategically. I went with 6 because I think most people who use this kind of field want more than the 4 that Garmin offers, but I'd like to hear what all of you think.

Looks like any of the top or bottom two fields if you use pace, timer or any metric that have move than 4 digits, it will shrink the font. Not sure if you have looked at the datafield DataRun Premium 7, the layout of screen seems to support all the data metrics without shrinking any of the fonts. I think only shrinks some of the digits on the time field when it gets to the hours.