Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• muness Okay that's what I thought. Guess I got confused when you asked about structured workout targets.

In your example (1,2,4,2,4,2,1), are you saying you want:
    Lap 1 = zone 1
    Lap 2 = zone 2
    Lap 3 = zone 4
    Lap 4 = zone 2
    Lap 5 = zone 4
    Lap 6 = zone 2
    Lap 7 = zone 1

Yes, that is reasonable. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Yes, that's exactly what I have in mind. <3

I'll get you a review in the store as soon as I've had a chance to try it. ;) I am between plans right now but this is exciting enough to pick a workout to try out the data field. The lack of power based structured workout alerts comes up in the Stryd facebook group a couple of times a month, at least.

• jtsang the fonts are as big as possible. Even in a native four field layout they would be no bigger, unless you removed labels.

Re Pace metrics: every metric has three lists in the app settings. (3 lists of each of the six fields.)

The first two lists are “modifiers”
    - Lap, last lap, ...
    - Average, Min, Max, 3s, 10s, 30s,...

The third list has your "base metrics":
    - Pace, Time, Speed, Power, Cadence, HR, etc.

By combining the two modifiers with the third list, you have access to literally 100s of metrics. Want Last Lap Min Normalized Power? Sure why not.

I wish it could be more intuitive, but I’d rather not:
    - artificially limit your options, like Garmin which won’t even give you Last lap max hr
    - give you a single list of even 20–50 metrics, because the UX of long lists sucks

This way you have three lists that are very manageable. The third list of “base metrics” is less than twenty items.

Given the simplicity of the settings available on Garmin Connect, this is the best option I could think of.

I’m open to suggestions on how this can be made more intuitive. Right now it’s like building an English phrase. E.g.
    Lap, ..., Pace
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've updated the field in the store for large memory watches: Fenix 5X, 5+, D2 Charlie, D2 Delta, Descent MK1

Now you can specify power alerts by zone, for the whole activity or for your laps, in a separate setting (Power Alerts - Zones)

e.g. Use zone 2 for whole activity: 2
    Use zone 2 for lap 1 and zone 4 for lap 3: 2, 0, 4

As before, 0 means "no alert".

Leave that setting blank to use the high/low alert settings.
  • Latest update:

2.0 Large memory watches (Fenix 5X, 5+, D2 Charlie, D2 Delta, Descent MK1):

- Support for 10 zones
    - Support for calling zones whatever you want. e.g. Palladino: 1a, 1b, 1c, 2, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: if your zone has a letter in it (like "1b"), the text will be smaller, because non-numerical fonts are smaller on Garmin watches.

Note: you have to name all your zones, or your zone names will be ignored. If you have 5 zones, you need at least 5 zone names.
  • Latest update:

2.0 Large memory watches (Fenix 5X, 5+, D2 Charlie, D2 Delta, Descent MK1):

- Support for 10 zones
    - Support for calling zones whatever you want. e.g. Palladino: 1a, 1b, 1c, 2, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: if your zone has a letter in it (like "1b"), the text will be smaller, because non-numerical fonts are smaller on Garmin watches.

Nice! Any chance 10-zone support will make its way to lower memory watches like the 935?
  • alextran, I'll look into it. Right now lower memory watches are pretty much maxed out if you specify 30-second averages for all 6 fields. (I realize this is unrealistic.)

I would also like to leave some breathing room to add more metrics, depending on what people want in the future.
  • alextran, I'll look into it. Right now lower memory watches are pretty much maxed out if you specify 30-second averages for all 6 fields. (I realize this is unrealistic.)

I would also like to leave some breathing room to add more metrics, depending on what people want in the future.

Thanks for looking into it. Hopefully there's a reasonable compromise somewhere.
  • Update 2.1
    Smaller memory CIQ2 watches (Fenix 5, FR935, 735XT):
    - Support for 10 zones
    - Support for lap-based power alerts

Update 2.3
    - Show battery percentage (as text) in bottom area
    - Reduce memory usage.

Fenix 5, FR935, 735XT:
    To save memory and support newly added features, you have to choose between:
    - Both NP and NP Zone
    - A single 30-second metric (e.g. 30-second Power)
  • Update 2.4

All watches except Fenix 3, D2 Bravo and 920XT:
    - Add new metrics: Efficiency Factor, Efficiency Index and Power/HR.

735XT, 930 and Fenix 5:
    - Metric limits - If you select NP, you only get 2 fields with 3s metrics. (And no fields with 10s/30s metrics)
  • jtsang the fonts are as big as possible. Even in a native four field layout they would be no bigger, unless you removed labels.

Re Pace metrics: every metric has three lists in the app settings. (3 lists of each of the six fields.)

The first two lists are “modifiers”
    - Lap, last lap, ...
    - Average, Min, Max, 3s, 10s, 30s,...

The third list has your "base metrics":
    - Pace, Time, Speed, Power, Cadence, HR, etc.

By combining the two modifiers with the third list, you have access to literally 100s of metrics. Want Last Lap Min Normalized Power? Sure why not.

I wish it could be more intuitive, but I’d rather not:
    - artificially limit your options, like Garmin which won’t even give you Last lap max hr
    - give you a single list of even 20–50 metrics, because the UX of long lists sucks

This way you have three lists that are very manageable. The third list of “base metrics” is less than twenty items.

Given the simplicity of the settings available on Garmin Connect, this is the best option I could think of.

I’m open to suggestions on how this can be made more intuitive. Right now it’s like building an English phrase. E.g.
    Lap, ..., Pace

Thanks. I just noticed the lap options for pace after posting. Great app. Seems to be getting better and better with each new updates. Keep up the excellent work.