Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Update 6.5.2

Cutting-edge watches - 645M, Fenix 5X, Fenix 5+ (all), Descent MK1, D2 Charlie/Delta:

Add HR/Power/Cadence field coloring. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/services.garmin.com\/appsLibraryBusinessServices_v0\/rest\/apps\/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1\/screenshots\/0e758934-eedc-4618-bd1d-6e4fc7ffabbd"}[/IMG2]

The colors are as follows:

Cadence

Same as Garmin Connect:

Purple: > 183 spm
    Blue: 174-183
    Green: 164-173
    Orange: 153-163
    Red: < 153

HR and Power

- 5 Zones (HR and Power):
    (This matches Garmin's HR gauge except for zone 0)
    Zone 0: No color
    Zone 1: Grey
    Zone 2: Blue
    Zone 3: Green
    Zone 4: Orange
    Zone 5+: Red

- 6 Zones (Power):
    (This matches Garmin's Bike Power gauge)
    Zone 0: Grey
    Zone 1: Purple
    Zone 2: Blue
    Zone 3: Green
    Zone 4: Yellow
    Zone 5: Orange
    Zone 6+: Red

- 7 Zones (Power)
    (I made this up by changing the 6 zone system slightly)
    Zone 0: No color
    Zone 1: Grey
    Zone 2: Purple
    Zone 3: Blue
    Zone 4: Green
    Zone 5: Yellow
    Zone 6: Orange
    Zone 7+: Red

More than 7 zones: Run Power assumes you are using the 10 zone Palladino system. It uses the following table to convert your zone out of 10 into a zone out of 7, and uses the colours for 7 zones.
    0 = 0
    1 = 1a
    2 = 1b
    3 = 1c
    4 = 2
    5 = 3a
    6 = 3b
    7 = 4
    8 = 5
    9 = 6
    10 = 7
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Regarding running power meters, I think Stryd is currently the only one allowing connecting as a power meter. I read from Runscribe forum they used to have this, but removed it in some of their firmware updates. There was actually one user requesting them to add it back after finding about your app :)

Runscribe AFAIK doesn't have an altimeter. Even Stryd have been trying to incorporate a model that doesn't rely on altimeter for some time now (for example to use with treadmill running incline). But as of now it's still the altimeter and accurate pace / distance calculation that's still the deciding winning point of Stryd compared to other solutions. I think I demonstrated this quite well with the AppBuilder test.

As for their power model, I think it's pretty accurate uphill. The Strava GAP model on other hand seems to slightly underestimate uphill effort, but on downhills it seems much closer and allows adjustability that I lack with Stryd.

So I think (at least for me) the ideal solution would be to use Stryd as is, but to add slight correction curve for downhill grades. I think I'll try this with AppBuilder next, using the poor altimeter of my F5+ :)
  • Thanks for the update. Tried to use it this morning but had an IQ! Error.

Let me know if you need any files off my watch to help debug.

• wvernon hey, sorry, I introduced another crash which I have recently fixed. Please update from the store and let me know if it happens again.

I've also added cadence colouring (see a couple of posts back on the last page.)
  • Update 5.6

Add 5 field layout: 2 large, 2 small, 1 large with no label.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.postimg.cc\/G3v1hsq0\/5.png"}[/IMG2]

Gallery:
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/2imt4jk4o/
  • Former Member
    Hope you don't mind I introduced your data field also on Stryd forum. I even suggested they send you a Stryd, since I know they've done this in the past. Of course depends whether they see value in this or not.

Hopefully this will spark some interest. I know a lot of the features have been requested earlier there and your data field basically addresses most of them already.
  • JTH9, thanks that's much appreciated. I won't hold my breath, but it'll be interesting to see if there's any kind of response.

Looking at the app objectively:
    - It might be a bit too flexible (but I'm not willing to compromise on that front, at least as far as selecting metrics goes.)
    - It doesn't look amazing or anything. (I'll keep what I think about the aesthetics of some of the other single run fields to myself, tho.)
    - Too many of the good features are only available on more expensive watches. (I'm not willing to make 253 different versions of the app with every possible combo of feature, tho. You can see how even just the one app is tough to maintain.)

Plus if Garmin decides to allow power in run mode tomorrow, it'll be useless, unless you like combining metrics or typing in formulas.
  • JTH9, BTW what features did ppl want which haven't been addressed (by Run Power or any other app)?
  • Former Member
    TBH, can't think of any currently. I just said most, just in case I had missed something. You even added the possibility to connect non power meter compatible watches, which is kind of superb for owners of those watches, even though the features are more limited.

• wvernon hey, sorry, I introduced another crash which I have recently fixed. Please update from the store and let me know if it happens again.

Not been for another run with the updated version but left the watch running an activity and no crashes so I would say it worked. Thanks for the quick fix.

JTH9, BTW what features did ppl want which haven't been addressed (by Run Power or any other app)?

My 645m will not natively connect to a power meter in run mode so I am unable to make use of other power fields which would otherwise be a good companion to yours. In particular I could see a use for a display similar to Drew's Power Zones (https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/865ec780-c945-446b-8b69-f17ae1059011)

Have you thought about something similar to that using your method of connecting to a Stryd for watches like the 645? If not, have other designers asked you about how they can implement support for watches without native running power?

Final one - I'm loving the 5 field display and with the 6 and 4 it gives good flexibility to vary views. A clone of your field would allow different set-ups to be installed and switched around without having to re-enter all the settings.