Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• FlowState no problem. It's a bit difficult trying to figure what works with what. Only after you added the feature to AppBuilder I understood it's actually the same method Garmin uses. Probably why it gives lap and avg summaries in Garmin Connect too, and Stryd IQ doesn't.

As for Stravistix it used to work with Stryd before, but I believe even they had to switch to calculating power with their own formulas after Strava totally pulled power for running activities.
    This was the last time I checked though as I don't currently have the plugin installed.
  • JTH9 or anyone else with a Smashrun Pro subscription:

Attached is a small FIT file with power recorded in a slightly different way (a different internal field name than before, which should match what Stryd uses).

Want to upload it to your smashrun and see if power is there? In the desktop web site, hover over the gear icon and click Import from File (or whatever).

It's a 13 second run with an average pace of less than 2:30/mile, so I hope it doesn't mess up your stats. The recorded power should be 123 (both current and average).

• Re: Power in Strava / Stravistix

BTW Stravistix seems to be estimating your running power, not reading it from the file...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Strava/comm...in_strava_yet/

That explains a lot. I hadn't accurately cross checked the numbers but they were in the right ball park so didn't think anything of it. Thanks for taking the time to research.

On the recording point from earlier, Runalyze is now showing power after a manual import of the FIT file so apologies for that. Looks like a bad/partial sync. For what I need this now means I can get rid of the stryd IQ field and use yours to record power.

Quick work on making a 4 and 2 field versions available. I have just tried to change the settings very quickly using garmin connect mobile but the field remained at 6 metrics. I'll try garmin express when back at my PC.

Thanks again
  • wvernon sorry the layout code wasn't working for certain watches, like 645M and F5+/X. That's what happens when you do things too quickly....

I've fixed the app and updated it in the store.

You should never have to use Garmin Express for anything settings-related.

Thanks again

No worries!
  • FlowState no problem. It's a bit difficult trying to figure what works with what. Only after you added the feature to AppBuilder I understood it's actually the same method Garmin uses. Probably why it gives lap and avg summaries in Garmin Connect too, and Stryd IQ doesn't.

I won't speculate (too much) on why Stryd doesn't support this, but I can tell you that:
    - Supporting average and max for lap and summary requires you to create four additional FIT fields for every metric you want to record. Of course, the app has to calculate the values itself.
    - It's not how you write the data, it's what you write (the additional 4 fields above)

So:
    - Memory may be too constrained, especially on older watches, to add all those additional fields
    - Or it may not have been worth doing, since Stryd Power Center could easily calculate those values in post-processing

In fact, any lap/summary avg/max metric could be calculated in post-processing (e.g. runalyze). It's kind of funny that the "Garmin way" is that activities have to calculate and record this redundant data, which takes up precious memory, especially on older watches. Kind of backwards, if you think about it.

Furthermore, there's no way for data fields to write more than 32 bytes of data to the record/lap/summary data. I see that Stryd records 7 things things normally, not including distance and speed. If you add distance and speed, that's 9. Depending on how each value was represented, Stryd would have to pick and choose what to omit from the lap/summary data. For example, if they wanted to use decimals for every value, each value would take 4 bytes, and they wouldn't be able to record both max and average. Then again, running power without decimals would only take 2 bytes. But I don't know if all of those other metrics support decimals or not.

So maybe they have a good reason for not recording all that data.
  • JTH9 or anyone else with a Smashrun Pro subscription:

Attached is a small FIT file with power recorded in a slightly different way (a different internal field name than before, which should match what Stryd uses).

Want to upload it to your smashrun and see if power is there? In the desktop web site, hover over the gear icon and click Import from File (or whatever).

It's a 13 second run with an average pace of less than 2:30/mile, so I hope it doesn't mess up your stats. The recorded power should be 123 (both current and average).

Sure, I don't even use Smashrun that much anymore so the stats won't matter anyway, but still have a bit Pro subscription left to test it out.

And as of right now, seems it worked. I got 13 secs of flat 123W power graph.

And, it even worked in Stryd Powercenter. :)
  • JTH9, thanks! Ha so they're basically looking at the internal field name of "Power". Which is pretty much the only other thing they could've done besides using nativeNum.

Okay, that's an easy fix to push to the store....

---

Update 5.3
    Recording: add support for Stryd Powercenter and Smashrun

---

- In the future it might be possible to add the other native metrics that Stryd supports, such as Cadence, Ground Time, and Vertical Oscillation. It might also be possible to add the non-native metrics, like elevation, form power and leg spring stiffness. But I'd like to hear if anyone wants this....
  • Would it be possible to get elevation from Stryd? Could allow more accurate grade adjusted pace calculation. Or Grade adjusted power :rolleyes:

Currently they only seem to record it at one meter resolution though for some debug purposes. Or so it seems with their own data field. If that is the case then it's not much of help sadly...

Also might be I'm the only person actually interested in this :o
  • JTH9 well, I should have been clear that it wouldn't be a trivial thing to implement. Unlike standard power or HR, I can't read a spec sheet to implement Stryd-specific stuff. I assume they broadcast their own data over ANT+ in addition to the standard stuff. I would need to build a debug version of the field to log some of that data, then reverse-engineer it by comparing that ANT+ data to the FIT data. This is further complicated by the fact that logging all that data could make the field (and watch) unusably slow.

Not impossible to do, but would take some time and effort. And I don't have a Stryd so I would need a volunteer.

Then of course we have to worry about Stryd suing us (I mean me) for reverse-engineering their product....

Probably not something I would do in the near future (like tomorrow or next week).
  • Those metrics are not important to me mid run and if it will be a lot of work or would take away from other potential improvements then I would vote to not bother. If you do go down that route though I’m more than happy to help where I can, especially if you are not accepting donations at this time.

My preference for this field would be visual/layout improvements. For instance colour coded banners/backgrounds based on zone or different layouts with a mix of smaller and larger fields. For me, time and distance are not important during a run but I do like them on my main screen. However, pace, hr, and now power are what I tend to glance at. A perfect field for me would visually make these more prominent.

EDIT - BTW, stryd should be paying you for doing this not you worrying about being sued for plugging the gaps in their IQ field!