Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• alextran, no worries. I'm not taking donations right now, although I do appreciate the thought. If you like, you can tell your friends about Run Power and also check out this stopwatch app that I'm kinda proud of:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/3...8-f45584b0a117

It's perfect for doing indoor intervals or for coaches as you can scroll through your laps quickly even while the timer is running. And it can also record your laps as an activity so you can review them later.
  • Update 5.1

Fix 645M crash on new lap
  • Many thanks for this.

I tried it this morning with a stryd pod on my 645m and things worked pretty well.

I had initially tried a previous version a few days ago and had a crash early in the run. The most recent version worked well throughout the 35min run this morning.

The initial connection to the power pod seemed a little hit and miss but once it connected it seemed very stable. I originally tried without the stryd data field but had no power data and strange pace readings despite the footpod showing as connected. I then added the stryd data field and it worked as expected. I then tried again without the stryd data field and it seemed to work. I did the entire run without the stryd data field and had your field write power to the file.

A few questions and suggestions if I may?

(1) the power data shows well during the run and also afterwards in garmin connect but didn’t sync to subsequent websites that are linked to my connect account (starva, runalyze). Is this because you are not able to write to the same bit of the fit file as these sites expect to find this data? If I use the stryd data field this syncs well with other sites so are stryd saving this data to a different area of the file? Ideally I would like to run without the stryd iq field so I can use yours and one other if field.

(2) is it possible to have some padding on figures so that the left column and right columns are not so close together when viewed on the watch? It is quite hard to read when the left 3 metrics are aligned right and the right 3 metrics aligned left but there is little space between them. I appreciate you have very little room. Would centring them work or does that just make things look weird?

(3) Is it possible to have different layouts? for instance a 5 field version with 1 or 2 bigger metrics and others smaller? It would be amazing to have 2 larger metrics on one side and 3 smaller on the other.

Once again, brilliant work on this, especially making it work for the 645 which doesn’t natively support power pods.

Thanks again
  • Hi wvernon Thanks for the feedback and the review! Yes, I had a crash with 645M that I fixed recently. Sorry about that!

What you're reporting with Stryd app versus without is strange. I wonder if connecting to the Stryd app puts the Stryd pod in a different mode or something? Unfortunately I have no Stryd to test with....

To answer your questions:

1) Recording should be syncing with other sites :(. I have not tested extensively (this is a one-man hobbyist effort), but based on user reports from a different app, Training Peaks should work.

I will also say that no 3rd-party Connect IQ app has the ability to record to the same part of the FIT file that native fields do, with regards to "native data" such as speed, power, etc. Developer fields such as "Run Power" have the ability to say their data is equivalent to native data like Power, but other sites are free to ignore it if they want. This is called "nativeNum" functionality.

On the other hand, Garmin Connect shows 3rd party "developer fields", but never overrides the native data. So if you used Run Power in a Bike activity on a 935 or Fenix 5, it would never override "real Power" in Garmin Connect. This is not an issue for you since the 645M doesn't support power natively.

After searching a few things up:
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/deve...ect-iq/144261-
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...age=2#comments
    - Strava does not work "developer fields" as of December 2018
    - Runalyze did not work in 2016, but support was planned

I'm not sure why Stryd works and Run Power doesn't, unless those sites are specifically looking for data from Stryd instead of using the generic nativeNum functionality.

When I get a chance, I will test with Strava and Runalyze. If you don't mind, could PM or post a FIT file from Stryd that works?

I can't guarantee that Run Power can or should do whatever Stryd is doing though, especially if it involves masquerading as the Stryd app in some way (which is not something I want to do.)

EDIT: I tried runalyze and Strava:
    - Runalyze shows power for a running FIT file created with Run Power (with power recorded by the app). I used a simulated 645M with fake data for this test.
    - Strava does not show power in the iOS app or desktop website, for the same FIT file as above. Then again, I tried to upload a Bike activity with native power, and power still didn't show up, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

According to user reports, Strava only shows running power (even for Stryd) in the Android app and website, although I am unable to test this personally:
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...rt-for-Running

I'm not sure why Runalyze isn't working for you.

2) Yes, I realize the 6 field layout is a little cramped and weird. And yes, centring things would make it look weirder. It's basically a compromise for:
    - Having six fields
    - Having longer labels ("Lap Avg Power", "LL Max Power")
    - Having things lined up (because centring the 6 field layout would look weird on a round watch)

I realize many other "single run" data fields don't have this problem, but none of them support the kind of flexible metrics that Run Power does, with longer labels.

Also, centring would only help the middle row. The top and bottom rows would barely change if you centred them, with 3-digit metrics.

3) On that note, multiple layouts are possible, for the current CIQ2 watches (645 / 935 / VA3 and better).

Currently I've added 2/4 layouts for the round CIQ2 watches.

Hope that addresses everything!
  • On the note of the field layout, how many people would prefer to see shorter labels like "L+Pwr" (currently "Lap Max Pwr") if it meant the layouts could look nicer and/or support longer metrics without shrinking the font?

I wanted to go with labels that were more or less intelligible English (but with short forms), but maybe that's not as important as a layout that's more usable with longer numbers and better spacing.

Go ahead and "like" this post if you want to see shorter labels, but a more usable layout.
  • Wow, good reply!

let me have play with regards to (1) as it might be my setup. I don’t think runalyze synced properly on my last run as other data looks strange. Thinking about the strava link, on reflection I think I might have previously also had stryd power centre connected to strava directly (which I have since removed as my thinking was this wasn’t needed if it could just get the info from garmin). Perhaps strava was pulling info from both websites and amalgamating it? I’ll try linking power centre on my next run to see if that changes things

The planned changes sound promising. Personally I would be happy with smaller labels for better readability of the figures.
  • My understanding is that Strava is not working with running power in any form currently. And even if it worked, there would be practically very little to do with it. For me it hasn't worked for some time now, even when using Stryd IQ field.

I can verify that power is showing up properly in SportTracks.mobi and TrainingPeaks when recoreded with AppBuilder. So should also work in these sites if the method Run Power uses is the same as AppBuilder uses (I believe it is). Both sites also show power from Garmin's own Running Power app. So apparently this is the same method Garmin uses too.

I can verify that power recorded with AppBuilder is not showing in Stryd Power center. It's also not showing up in SmashRun. So apparently these sites do something a bit differently. Probably they are looking specifically for Stryd IQ data and not generic nativeNum.

I haven't tried Runalyze for a while, so no idea about that.

Anyway personally I think this is great functionality and something none of the other 3rd party power data fields currently support. If you only need to record power data you can now save the other IQ slot for something else.
  • I have previously had power charts, max, avg. etc and time in zone data on strava and have used the stravistix plugin to analyse this so something must be passed over somewhere. This was all with my garmin, stryd and the free strava account.

I’ll have a look next time I’m at my desktop.
  • JTH9 thanks for the info! It's a lil hard developing this field without actually having a Stryd and/or "cutting-edge watch" sometimes.... Yes, Run Power recording uses "nativeNum" just like AppBuilder.

Update 5.2

Added 2/4 field layouts for most current round watches: 935, 645/M, VA3/M, Fenix 5/5X/5+, D2 Charlie/Delta, Descent MK1
    Not: Fenix 5S/Chronos

I'll look into 2/4 layouts for other "CIQ2" watches, but probably not any time soon. Those are just the layouts I had on hand.

Notes:
    - 2/4 field layouts prioritize metrics over labels, so your labels may be cut off
    - Header and footer not available for 2/4 layouts
    - 4 field layout has the same max font size as 6 field layout, but there may be room for slightly longer/wider numbers
    - 4 field layout is also less cramped, as everything is centred
    - 2 field layout features larger numbers, for those who wanted that

Other layouts, like "6 Field B" (?), will come at some unspecified time in the future, probably. Old "CIQ1" watches will never get new layouts tho. Sorry!

Cutting edge watches:
    Changed defaults for Custom Metrics A/B to "Work" and "Power / Weight", since EI and Power/HR are already available.
  • Re: Power in Strava / Stravistix

Did some more searching. Even though Stryd proudly says they support Strava, it looks like power is only supported when you record with the Stryd app, not when you record with a Garmin. Or at least that's what support tweeted a year ago.

I still see people complaining about it this month (December 2018).

(Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)

BTW Stravistix seems to be estimating your running power, not reading it from the file...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Strava/comm...in_strava_yet/

I tried it with my dev test file, and it showed completely different power than what I recorded. (It happened to be a 4000 mile run in 30 seconds, due to some hilarious recording quirks, so it should a really large negative number for power.)