Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Update 9.0

Hopefully fixed issue with being unable to reconnect to the power sensor (e.g. Stryd) (via ANT+ ID).

I can't test this, so if anyone still has this issue, please let me know.

Thanks to the folks at Stryd for this fix!

Update 9.1

Limit the previous fix to T4 and T5 devices, due to memory constraints.

• The workaround I've been using is to download my runs using the Stryd app directly from the Stryd pod rather than through Garmin Connect. I use a Humon Hex so I have no choice but to go with RunPower and the Humon data field. 

Then they show up in PowerCenter. They won't have the GPS data on them but that doesn't bother me. 

Maybe one day Garmin will allow >2 data fields and native running power structured workouts, but until then RunPower is the best we've got and recording power is an important part of the data field, at least for me. 

• Fenix 3HR. FlowState RunPower datafield. Stryd Power in Run Mode datafield.

No actual Stryd (yet).

Playing around with this combo. Have both datafields loaded into the Run app, have field 1 of RunPower be "power".

Twice in my last three runs my Fenix 3HR has crashed and frozen on the boot screen mid-run. After a forced power off and back on my only datafield is "Timer" BUT the watch is convinced I'm using 2/2 Connect IQ datafields and won't let me change. I thus need to uninstall both datafields and reinstall to get anything other than "Timer" working again.

I don't know if this hard crash is FlowState's fault  or Stryd's datafield fault (I posted in their support forum as well). I know it seems silly to have the datafields installed an in use before the Stryd arrives, but I both wanted to get used to the new screen layout and make sure my F3HR was actually up to the task.

Any thoughts?

TIA.

EDIT:  Stryd got back with me quickly and said that they believe the crash is due to their "Power in Run Mode" datafield.  They said that when it isn't paired it gets aggressive in searching and unstable.

• Also, Feature request:

I understand the limitations of the F3HR memory.

On the wiki it says that older watches get a single layout which is similar to 6 field A.  This would be wonderful.

However on my F3HR the layout is more like 6 field B.  This is less wonderful.  

What I do not like about the F3HR layout is that the data text is justified towards the center of the screen like 6 field B.  This makes the various fields harder to differentiate at a quick glance, I like the center of the field justification of 6 field A much better.

Also I really wish the time of day displayed at the top of the screen instead of "Lap 1"

Thanks!

• Just wanted to pass along this official response from Stryd, with regards to the question of "which apps will Stryd PowerCenter accept data from?"

"We will only accept data from the Stryd Power and Stryd Zones data fields until Garmin provides native integration."

• I just double-checked Run Power on Fenix 3 (in the simulator), and it indeed uses 6 Field B. Believe it or not, 6 Field A takes a bit more memory than 6 Field B, because it's got some smarts for dynamic changing the middle-field layout when the content gets too wide, and it just couldn't fit on Fenix 3 (which has a bit less available memory than some of the other older watches). The 235 does use 6 Field A, which I'm sure isn't much consolation to you.

Sorry about that! If I get a chance I might update the docs with a note.

Right now I am not actively developing Run Power, as I've gotten a lot more busy.

• does this mean, when i import a training via Training Peaks like this one:

the app can give me all the intervall informations on the watch like:

how i have to run? and tell me, i am to fast to slow?
  • Thank you for the reply.  I guess I need to set up a build environment for ConnectIQ!

• Any chance of releasing a fenix 6 version?

• +1

Could we have slightly bigger numbers in the slightly bigger screen of Fenix6pro ?