Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• I just came across this app, and it appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm about to buy either a Stryd or Garmin power meter to measure run power. I saw at the beginning of the thread that Garmin Running Power is not supported. Does that mean that the Garmin Running Dynamics pod isn't supported, so that I'd need the Stryd power meter instead?

Thanks!

Patrick
  • patvaughn that's correct. Stryd can connect as a standard power meter, but the Garmin Run Pod cannot. Nobody but Garmin knows for sure, but it's 99.999% likely that the Power calculations for RD-Pod and HRM-Run are done in the Garmin Running Power app itself, unlike Stryd which does calculations in the Stryd pod. So no one else will be able to support Garmin Running Power unless they can guess Garmin's exact algorithm, or if Garmin publishes it. You would also lose certain benefits by not using the RD-Pod the "normal way", so I'm not sure if we'll see this supported by 3rd party devs in the future.

Also, I don't have personal experience from Stryd, but my understanding is that the instant pace is excellent and much better than what you get from GPS or Garmin footpod. And there's no calibration required afaik.
  • To the user who sent me a support request today, if you're reading this, I am unable to respond to support requests without an email. (Unfortunately Garmin does not make this clear on the form).

I'd like to help you resolve your problem, but I'll need you to contact me again and provide your email address.

Thanks!

• Update 8.2.1

Fix crash when power value is greater than 2000.

I introduced this bug recently -- sorry for the inconvenience! And thanks to the user who reported it and sent me a crash log.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Btw, the power spike bug is fixed with latest beta firmware. But probably worth keeping this feature until the final release is out.
  • JTH9 thanks for the update.

I don't see the harm in leaving it in forever, unless someone actually needs power > 2000....
  • Hi ...

The datafield is awesome as it is.... Nevertheless, I would suggest another feature: to force the backlight on as long as the activity lasts. I find this useful at sunset and night. My eyesight is not that good anymore. :)

It would also be great to have an exact copy of Run Power in the Connect IQ Store, and thus be able to switch datafield settings instantly depending on the environment conditions without being force to use Garmin Mobile App.

Thanks.

• I have updated the wishlist and moved it to the wiki:
    https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Wishlist

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Update 8.3

- Attempt to avoid crash on 235 (and other T0 devices) by making app a bit smaller
    - Rearrange codebase to build clones

---

Run Power (B) (clone)

On that note, I have uploaded a clone of Run Power to the store. When it is approved in 1 to 3 days, it will be available here:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/3...4-97793de0d64d

Quick personal note:
    I am not a fan of data field clones. Just my personal opinion. I've noticed that most "flexible data fields" seem to generate requests for clones. Not that it should matter to anyone here, but I now have 14 clones for 5 apps in the store, which seems insane to me.

While I'm amenable to doing so because users want it (*), I think the fact that they're necessary at all points a deficiency in the Garmin ecosystem. I've never seen any other app store in my life where apps are regularly cloned two to four times just so users can make the most out of them.

While clones are useful, I think they're a ridiculous workaround and they also clutter up the store needlessly, and increase dev workload needlessly as well.

(*) That's why I code Garmin apps, after all.

Keeping that in mind, if you feel like all of your useful data field apps need clones, could you please ask Garmin to build this into the app ecosystem?
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

In other words, wouldn't it be great if you could just use the same data field app twice, with different settings? Much like two different native activities can have different settings.

TL;DR Please ask Garmin to support multiple instances/settings for data field apps. This makes perfect sense due to the way they are used in activities, and due to the fact people keep asking for clones.
  • update 8.3

- attempt to avoid crash on 235 (and other t0 devices) by making app a bit smaller
    - rearrange codebase to build clones

---

run power (b) (clone)

on that note, i have uploaded a clone of run power to the store. When it is approved in 1 to 3 days, it will be available here:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-us/apps/3...4-97793de0d64d

quick personal note:
    i am not a fan of data field clones. Just my personal opinion. i've noticed that most "flexible data fields" seem to generate requests for clones. Not that it should matter to anyone here, but i now have 14 clones for 5 apps in the store, which seems insane to me.

While i'm amenable to doing so because users want it (*), i think the fact that they're necessary at all points a deficiency in the garmin ecosystem. I've never seen any other app store in my life where apps are regularly cloned two to four times just so users can make the most out of them.

While clones are useful, i think they're a ridiculous workaround and they also clutter up the store needlessly, and increase dev workload needlessly as well.

(*) that's why i code garmin apps, after all.

keeping that in mind, if you feel like all of your useful data field apps need clones, could you please ask garmin to build this into the app ecosystem?
    https://www.garmin.com/en-us/forms/ideas/

in other words, wouldn't it be great if you could just use the same data field app twice, with different settings? Much like two different native activities can have different settings.

tl;dr please ask garmin to support multiple instances/settings for data field apps. this makes perfect sense due to the way they are used in activities, and due to the fact people keep asking for clones.

hi flow,
    i've problems with the app.
    While the avg 3s power is show ok compared to stryd power data field, lap np and la if aren't ok.
    Both numbers are too low, i set my ftp trought gc and while appbuilder show if 0.85, run power show a lower valeu like 0.01 and a np like 12-13 (just examples).
    Can you check that?
    Thank you