Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Stefe thank you for the feedback, the testing and the kind words. I'm glad you like the app.

1 and 3) Sorry, recording is not coming to any platform less advanced than 645 Music. There is just not enough memory. Perhaps this makes Power / Weight less useful for you. In GC, you can see your weight for every day, so you will always be able to reconstruct that data in the future. Perhaps you can make a suggestion to a platform like https://www.runalyze.com to calculate and display this for you automatically? Only problem is it doesn't sync your weight from GC. So I think the manual calculation will have to be sufficient for now.

2) Speed and distance from footpod is very interesting, but it would be a tough fit on anything less advanced than 645 Music tho. Even if I could fit it on VA3, it would not be recorded. Even if I recorded it (on 645 Music and up), it would not override native speed / distance in Garmin Connect, as Garmin refuses to override data such as speed, distance and power from CIQ data fields.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • I am not sure about one thing. I have a Vivoactive 3, and it works.

Howver, I am rereading the app description:

• (****) Records power to activity FIT file, so can look at your stats later. Records graph, lap avg/max and activity avg/max

The four stars mean the newer watches: does this mean that without hte Stryd Power datafield, I would see Power on the watch, but it would not be recorded?

stephen
  • First of all, thank you FlowState for "Run Power". The best datafield I've seen for Garmin (AppBuilder5+ second best!) . Adding Efficiency Index and Running Effectiveness and colored zones was most useful.

I still have a question about using both "Stryd Power" IQ datafield and "Run Power"....... I have a Fenix 5X Plus.... If I remove the "Stryd Power" data field from my garmin running app, ¿would I be still able to record the Stryd power data into my .FIT file using "Run Power" so that TrainingPeaks and Garmin Connect can read power and all other metrics normally?

To be able to read error-free data in TrainingPeaks is very important to me, since it's the plaftform used by my coach to analyze my drills.

Thanks a lot!!!! :)
  • cortizovizcaino yes, on Fenix 5+, Run Power can record power so it’s visible in Training Peaks and GC. Just check “Record Power Data to FIT” in the settings.
  • Stefe thank you for the feedback, the testing and the kind words. I'm glad you like the app.

1 and 3) Sorry, recording is not coming to any platform less advanced than 645 Music. There is just not enough memory. Perhaps this makes Power / Weight less useful for you. In GC, you can see your weight for every day, so you will always be able to reconstruct that data in the future. Perhaps you can make a suggestion to a platform like https://www.runalyze.com to calculate and display this for you automatically? Only problem is it doesn't sync your weight from GC. So I think the manual calculation will have to be sufficient for now.

2) Speed and distance from footpod is very interesting, but it would be a tough fit on anything less advanced than 645 Music tho. Even if I could fit it on VA3, it would not be recorded. Even if I recorded it (on 645 Music and up), it would not override native speed / distance in Garmin Connect, as Garmin refuses to override data such as speed, distance and power from CIQ data fields.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Flowstate

thanks, pity about the recording. I am still a novice runner, cannot justify a 645. Besides, it is a bit unfair from garmin not to give specific details regarding some models: i would not have thought that even the 645 cannot connect to stryd natively!

regaring distance from footpod, maybe it could be renamed? Eg FOOTPOD_Distance? And recorded like that?

out of curiosity, does the VA3 music offer more memory?

thanks

stefe

• Stefe, the name of the footpod distance in the recording is not the issue, just that most devices won’t have enough memory to record it in Run Power, and GC will never treat it as native for its stats. With all the features that Run Power offers, there is just not enough room on most watches for everything I would like to put in. You can imagine that Garmin can also maintain an advantage by reserving native speed / distance from footpod for the expensive watches, too. I would not be surprised if that’s one reason they will not let apps override native metrics in GC.

The VA3 Music does not offer more memory for data field apps than VA3. The 645 Music does offer twice as much memory than the 645, for data field apps. The 645, VA3, VA3 Music, Fenix 5 and 935 all have the same amount of memory for apps. The Run Power feature set is different for some of them only because some must connect to the Stryd directly, which takes memory.
  • jtsang thanks for the bug report, I've fixed that problem as well as a VA3 crash. The store has been updated.

Re: alerts. As explained in the thread and on the store page Q & A, Run Power basically does the same thing as the current 935 behaviour:
    When you are outside of your target zone:
    - You get alerts every 30 seconds, up to three times
    - The first alert comes at 30 seconds
    - The 30-second timer and "3 times" counter are reset if you go back to your target zone

This may not be perfect, but it seems like a lot of people hated the old 230 behaviour where it just alerted you instantly and an indefinite number of times. This way smooths out a lot of the issues with data that fluctuates, for example.

First of all I would like to thank you for your awesome work.
    I've tested your datafield with my F5X and works flawlessly.
    With regards to the power alerts 30 sec delay is perfect for a race, long run, etc. But for interval sessions I believe that is too long. For example for a 2 min interval lap, 30 secs are too much to be out of power range (I would prefer to be 3-5 secs). Personally I prefer to concentrate at my running and don't look at my watch. Therefore, power alerts are very useful.
    Is it possible to add a delay selection at the app settings?
    Thank you in advance.
  • kdelios that's a great idea, and something that I sort of thought would be requested.

I'll look into it and probably make an update in maybe 2 weeks or so. The issue isn't so much the code itself (which is not very complicated), but that fact that there's so many "families" of devices to update and test. For example, I would like to add this feature for all devices that support alerts, but that includes 935 and Fenix 5, where memory is tight. So I would have to make the change in a way that the code would not crash. Maybe I would add this feature but also add a new restriction on rolling average metric for 935, for example. Or maybe I would find that I just can't add that feature for 935. But it takes time to test.

But that's def something that will go at the top of the todo list.
  • Sorry, this post is a lil off-topic.

--

Stefe I have a favour to ask. Since you have a VA3, would you mind testing my stopwatch widget? I have some users who say that it doesn't work on their VA3, and others who say it works just fine. The problem is that pressing KEY does not work for some people (it's supposed to start the timer).

If you don't mind, the widget is here:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/3d610a3b-5f4b-4e14-8a30-a7dc7bdc72b8

If you are able to see the same problem, then I would like to ask you to load a debug version of app so I would be able to solve the problem once and for all.

Thanks in advance!