Data Field: Peter's (Hi Vis) Pacer

Description
Peter's (Hi Vis) Pacer helps you to ride/run the perfect race.
This is a spinoff project from Peter's (Race) Pacer, while it has many similarities it took me a while to create as it's a completely seperate code base.
It's different in the following ways:
  • high visibility less data is shown on the screen, which means that it is easier to read - eg for people with bad eye sight.
  • it can be used in non-single field mode, this means you can put it on the same page with other datafields of your choice!
  • It's also optimized to run on Edge devices, this means you can just as well use this field to pace your bike races just as your running races....
Adjusting the race distance
In a race when you are next to the race marker press the LAP button, the distance will now be corrected to the nearest lap position - eg 5.08 will correct to 5, 8.8 will correct to 9. After pressing the lap button the distance will be adjusted and all averages will be recalculated against this new distance figure.
When you miss a lap marker do not worry: do not press LAP and go for the next lap marker.
When you press the LAP marker by mistake you can undo the (last) correction by pressing the LAP button again - within a 30 second window

Donations
The data field is fully functional as is, yet donations are encouraged on the watch by an encouragement text.

Download
Download link: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/5...4-e3afdd10eddf
  • Before you reset your whole watch to factory defaults, you could try resetting the activity profile first.

Activity Profile (e.g. Run) > Menu (hold UP) > Run Settings > Restore Defaults

I've def seen bugs like that in the past relating to CIQ data fields.

• That did the trick, working correctly now. Thanks for your suggestion

• Peter:

First, I love your apps and appreciate your hard work. I may have discovered either a conflict or a bug. 

I’m using one of the Garmin coach-guided training plans and had a run scheduled on my plan today. I had a 5k race today. I used the Hi-Vis Pacer for my race. Unfortunately, during my race, my watch prompted me to do the events of the training run, not the race I had set up in the pacer. 

For context, when I first installed the Hi-Vis Pacer, I copied the Run activity on my watch, renamed it to “Race” and modified it to use the pacer data fields. At the start of the race, I pressed the upper right button to bring up the fitness activities, scrolled down to “Race” and hit start. 

any insight into how to avoid this in the future would be helpful since I occasionally use races as training runs.

• The coach guided running plans are based on garmin workouts. They create new lap markers after each workout step. Each lap marker triggers a distance correction.

Long story short don 't use the hi vis pacer app in combination with a guided workout plan / garmin workout.

Normally you should be able to choose not to do the workout at the start of your race 

I think in your activity profile "race" you created there might also be an option to not have being presented the guided workout plan. Explore the settings of the activity profile.

• Peter, thank you.  It's entirely possible that I may have pushed through the "do workout" selection at the beginning of the race.  I may do a test at home to see if that is likely.  

I'm using a 935 and can't find where I can modify the profile to exclude training plans.  Do you (or anyone else) happen to know where that is located?

• not sure if it exists on the 935, but If there's a setting I would expect it in the settings of the activity profile

• Hi Peter,

Due to my appalling eyesite I love the Hi-Viz pacer. I've zero chance of reading the 2 smaller fields, but the main Red, Green or Blue Ahead/Behind says it all with a glance on my Fenix3! If I squint for a few seconds sometimes I can make out the numbers too!

I used it to pace a 1/2-marathon yesterday and it was good even though I messed up with the settings - I still had Auto-Lap enabled and I was manually pressing Lap as I passed the course markers. I incorrectly had Lap Size set to 1000 instead of 1609 (I run in miles) so between Auto-Lap and manual Lap I was occassionally cancelling corrections, etc. But it still worked well until the end.

So, the problem was that at 12.76 miles due to GPS and/or messed up Lap Corrections due to my incorrect setup, it PAUSED the activity because it thought I'd reached the 13.1 miles. My Fenix3 did a lot of buzzing and the display seemed to flash (remember I can't see without glasses!) but I didn't realise it has actually paused until I was 100m from the finish line and glanced at my watch again and could make out it was on the pause screen with "RESUME" option.

I would assume a Data Field wouldn't pause an activity in this way? That it would just continue to allow the activity to go on and either stop updating the numbers or maybe go negative.

Kind regards,

Peter aka Nedrued

PS. I've donated €19 EUR cos this app is just perfect for me!

• hi Peter,

it's indeed recommended to disable auto-lap (or to set at least auto lap size the same as the internal lap size)

the data field will not autopause, it will even continue guiding you even when you have passed your goal distance (based on the expected average goal pace and the distance you currently are at, for example if you set the pacer to run 10k in 1 hour, the pacer will show green when you're at 12k in 1hour12', it'll show red if you're slower at that point ).

• I couldn't find any mention of it auto-pausing in this discussion, so guessed it shouldn't do that, but so weird that it did. Totally my fault setting the wrong lap settings etc., so amazing it actually worked so well! Will take it for some more test runs up to and beyond whatever target I set.

Thanks for the super quick response too!

• Hi all!

Really enjoying the datafield! One problem. A few weeks ago garmin connect stopped showing the pacer's fit-file in garmin connect. I dont know why. The box is checked in the data field settings and the data field works really well during workouts. Is there a solution? Thank you in advance!

Arjen