Temps - Widget to show internal temperature as well as data from a Tempe!

It's in the store waiting for approval, so this link may not work for a day or two, and this is the support thread.
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/17580ca9-816e-4203-a6a5-002eb543c04a

It's only for devices that allow Connect IQ to access the internal temperature history. With the Tempe, it can take a minute or more to get data, so that data is cached, so you can see the last reading while waiting (the default is after 30 minutes, it goes "stale", but can be set between 0 (never go state) to 240 minutes (4 hours). App settings also allows setting colors. The "Temperature Units" in the watch settings is used for C/F.

• Nice one. Really like it. Working fine on my 5x. So I can check the temperature outside with tempe sensor and inside (not wearing the watch) my room/tent...

It gets tempe data faster than the preinstalled garmin temperature widget.

Great work!
  • Btw: would it be possible to develop a widget which can read the temperature data from 2 tempe sensors? It lasts a long time, until the internal temperature drops down (not wearing the watch) near to real ambient temperature.

regards

Volker
  • I access the Tempe as a native Sensor (I'm not doing my own Ant+), so it's one at a time, unless the FW itself will connect to two at the same time (which I doubt).

For the inside/outside bit, you may run into a range problem, in that I'm not sure the Tempe has the same range as other sensors (it transmits 24/7, so may be a bit reduced in power to save battery.) In addition to this, I have "Time and Tempe", which looks like a watch face, and displays just the Tempe data. If you look on my facebook page, back in mid feb, I posted a picture of how I have the tempe set up so it's easy to attach to about anything.
  • Nice app, and like others have mentioned, gets the Tempe temperature much more quickly than the native widget. I'm on a fenix 3 HR and so far - I've only been playing with it a few minutes so far - I'm getting "Not Available" for the fenix's internal temperature sensor. I have turned the Tempe "off" via the watch, and continue to get the Not Available for the internal sensor. The native widget is showing the internal sensor and its graph. And for what it's worth, I set the "stale" period to 5 minutes and waited longer than that and still see the Not Available for the internal sensor. To be clear, I'm not complaining, just passing it along to you for your information. I'm not one to gripe about apps that were developed through a lot of effort (and you've done a lot of them) and offered to the community at no charge - please know your efforts have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated!
  • On the f3 (and other Connect IQ 1.x watches that have an internal temp sensor) the widget can't access the internal temperature data. I added support for those watches as the widget will still work fine with the Tempe.

For the widget to show internal temperature data, it's got to have Connect IQ 2.x and an internal temperature sensor.

I just added info about this in the app description in the store. I forgot to do it when I added support for 1.x devices. That's for the reminder!

The "stale" time is only for the Tempe. On watches with an internal sensor I can access, it never goes state.
  • Gotcha, thanks (and if I missed that somewhere, I'm sorry.) I still really like the quick acquisition of the Tempe data.
  • Gotcha, thanks (and if I missed that somewhere, I'm sorry.) I still really like the quick acquisition of the Tempe data.

I was just updating my last post, as I'd forgotten to note it in the app description, but it's there now!
  • Another nice Tempe app!

Does the paired Tempe sensor need to be enabled too?
    I paired my Tempe but disabled it (so that I could still see internal reading & graph on the Garmin temperature widget on the FR935 - enabling a tempe loses this, as it only displays the tempe data then), but the your Temps widget then says "(connecting)" at the bottom, underneath the Tempe data ("--"). I suspect it isn't actually connecting though (certainly I gave it a while but it didn't connect until I enabled the sensor), is that right?

For quirks and suggestions: pressing the start-stop button to access the internal sensor graph works slightly differently to most other widgets. Most widget use a start-stop press to go into more detail, like this, but require the back button to step back to the main page of the widget (and then allow scrolling to other widgets). With your widget, the start-stop button toggles the graph without entering this sort of 'more detail mode', so pressing the back button goes right back to the watch face. Obviously I keep doing this out of habit with other widgets. Have you settled on this behaviour for a reason, or do you think it would make more sense to follow the back button method?

Thanks!
  • I actually hadn't considered the back button (it would require a second view so I can catch it and not just exit.) As far as the disabled bit, I can see why it woulldn't connect.

The (connecting) message is just that the tempe is paired (I can see that), but not if it's been disabled.
  • Got a few questions:

1. I use a va-hr (I don't think this has a temp sensor?). If it doesn't have a sensor, what is internal temp displaying?
    2. For the temperature reading functions, how is this different/same as the Temperature and Pressure app on va-hr?
    3. Unrelated to app: does anyone know if it's possible to calibrate the tempe?

Thanks in advance!