NoFrills (watch face)

Support and feedback section for the NoFrills watchface

How to install and configure NoFrills

Please post any issues, questions and / or suggestions you have here and I will assist as best I can.

• Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Multiple Restarts when turning power on

Is anyone else experiencing multiple restarts when they power on their FR235?

I am prompted with the Garmin screen (beep/vibrate) 6 times before it actually turns on.
  • Is anyone else experiencing multiple restarts when they power on their FR235?

I am prompted with the Garmin screen (beep/vibrate) 6 times before it actually turns on.

Hi,

It is highly unlikely that NoFrills is the cause for the trouble you described.

What you could do is to delete all the apps and watchfaces that you have downloaded to your watch.
    If your watch starts up and is paired to a phone, you can uninstall everything from the Connect App.
    Or you could hook it up to a computer and in Garmin Express uninstall it.

If all else fails, you could just browse the USB drive that represents the watch while being connected to a computer, and delete all the files that end with a *.prg extension from this folder:

<USB DRIVE>\Garmin\Apps

USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
    I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT COULD GO WRONG HERE.

You could also clear out the *.SET and *.STR files from the folders

<USB DRIVE>\Garmin\Apps\Settings
    <USB DRIVE>\Garmin\Apps\Data

This will leave your watch clean from any installed apps and watchfaces and leftover settings and data, and you can start with a clean slate and troubleshoot which is the problematic app by installing each one at a time.
  • Change Log

v 4.5.0
    • Added a layout with clock in a smaller font. This enables the following: (can be selected in settings by ticking the check box "Show smaller clock?")
      • Seconds in high power mode (can be enabled in settings. Disabled by default)
      • Displays heart rate in bigger font (only on wrist HR models)
      • Displays date in bigger font
      • Displays step counter in bigger font

• Zero padding before hours if less than 10 hours. (Enable in settings. Disabled by default)
    • Hide am / pm indicator (Enable /disable in settings)
  • Show Sleep mode

I like this watchface a lot and use it exclusively. Simple clean and easy to read. Good job.

Is it possible to show if the watch thinks your asleep on the watchface?

Seems to be a bit of a bug with the Fenix 3 that it still thinks your asleep, even when exercising.

Then I would just nee to work out how to get the watch out of sleep mode.
  • I like this watchface a lot and use it exclusively. Simple clean and easy to read. Good job.

Thanks for the kind words and support!

Is it possible to show if the watch thinks your asleep on the watchface?

Seems to be a bit of a bug with the Fenix 3 that it still thinks your asleep, even when exercising.

Then I would just nee to work out how to get the watch out of sleep mode.

I know Garmin removed the option to manually put your watch in sleep mode, and then after many complaints they put in back in the fenix3's firmware.

I am not sure what the status of that feature is on the fenix3 as I don't own one myself.

One of my fellow developers figured a way to read the sleep period from a user's profile, but it requires a user's permission. Something I am reluctant to add as I don't want to overcomplicate the watch.
    If you see the sleep icon (half moon) on the fenix3, then I guess it is because you manually enabled sleep mode. Only way it will disappear is if you manually disable it again once you get out of bed. This should be somewhere in the watch's settings if it is still available in the firmware version on your watch.
    For the other watches that I know for sure the feature is not available, I removed the option to configure the sleep icon. It is still present in the settings for fenix3 for this watchface, but I am not sure if it should still be there or not.

Hope you can make out somthing of my lengthy reply? Let me know if you still have questions or don't understand.
  • Hour color and minutes color

i miss change the hour color ande minutes to make it different. I would like time size bigger.
  • i miss change the hour color ande minutes to make it different.

Hi,

I have seen your review and rating where you also expressed your wish for separate colors for the hours and minutes.

Unfortunately, after careful consideration, I have decided not to do that for now.

Let me explain:

A request like this will add more computational overhead to a watch face that has already been fine tuned and crafted to run as optimal as possible and conserve battery power.

Internally, the time is handled as a single string, and since it is displayed as one element on the screen, proper centering of the time is handled in the most simple way by the watch itself.

Splitting the hours and minutes into separate strings in order to draw them in different colors, requires more logic to ensure that it appears as a single centered string. This extra computational logic will consume more battery power, which is what I try to keep as minimal as possible.

Standing true to the name of the watch face, NoFrills, I have decided to keep things clean and simple and ensure that the watch still performs optimally while displaying this watch face.

I would like time size bigger.

I am not sure what you refer to? The original layout of the watch face shows the time in the biggest font possible and cannot be any bigger.
    Since version 4.5, a second layout was introduced with a slightly smaller font, making a little bit more room to show some other elements in a bigger font.
    Make sure that in the settings for this watch face, the option "Show smaller clock?" is disabled / unchecked. Disabling this option will ensure that the bigger time layout is displayed.
  • Update 4.6 Available!

Change log:

v4.6

• Made bluetooth icon bolder
    • Added configuration for date format
    • Added option to display distance and calories instead of step counter
    • Optimized code to improve efficiency and further decrease battery consumption
    • Fixed a bug where seconds don't display when activity tracking is disabled in watch face settings
    • Fixed a bug where tracking info is still displayed even when disabled in watch system settings
  • Hi,

I have seen your review and rating where you also expressed your wish for separate colors for the hours and minutes.

Unfortunately, after careful consideration, I have decided not to do that for now.

Let me explain:

A request like this will add more computational overhead to a watch face that has already been fine tuned and crafted to run as optimal as possible and conserve battery power.

Internally, the time is handled as a single string, and since it is displayed as one element on the screen, proper centering of the time is handled in the most simple way by the watch itself.

Splitting the hours and minutes into separate strings in order to draw them in different colors, requires more logic to ensure that it appears as a single centered string. This extra computational logic will consume more battery power, which is what I try to keep as minimal as possible.

Standing true to the name of the watch face, NoFrills, I have decided to keep things clean and simple and ensure that the watch still performs optimally while displaying this watch face.

I am not sure what you refer to? The original layout of the watch face shows the time in the biggest font possible and cannot be any bigger.
    Since version 4.5, a second layout was introduced with a slightly smaller font, making a little bit more room to show some other elements in a bigger font.
    Make sure that in the settings for this watch face, the option "Show smaller clock?" is disabled / unchecked. Disabling this option will ensure that the bigger time layout is displayed.

Sorry I just wrote a comment because I did not see your reply.
    I know your little problem with code but the watchface settings there is an option for change color hour as per move percent day. I think this option drain a little more the battery that change hour or minute color.
    So, I just ask for an option to change them. if option is enabled user will be able to modify colors else if option is not enabled the watchface will run as actually. Pleeeease your watchface is amazing!!
  • How often is the HR refreshed ? It seems like very rarely. Is it possible to customize that ?