App: Hike2

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

The next generation of the Hike app. With additional memory and sensors on the vivoactive HR, all be looking at adding new stuff. Right now, it makes use of the hardware compass and barometric Altimeter!

Like Hike, it's stats up and once it gets GPS, press start to begin the recording. There are then a number of screens you can swipe through to see data, like time-distance, pace-speed, altitude data, lat/lon data, and a chart that shows your hike so far. Pressing the back button while recording marks a waypoint, and pressing start pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

To learn about some of the basic functionaly here, see the thread for the initial version:

http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking

Please post questions and problems here.
  • Trackback feature

Is there a trackback feature available on the vivoactive HR?
  • By trackback, if you mean to go back the way you came, between the waypoint screen and the chart screen you should be able to do that. On the chart, you can see where you were and how you got there, so just follow it back, and with the waypoint page, you see the heading and distance to things that may not be the closest waypoint.
  • Trackback feature

What I meant was something like what the fenix3 has. It vibrates if you go off-track when you hit the trackback. Is there something like this on the hike2 app?
  • What I meant was something like what the fenix3 has. It vibrates if you go off-track when you hit the trackback. Is there something like this on the hike2 app?

No, there's not. I've never used an f3, but that may be more of a navigation thing your describing.
  • Trackback feature

I agree the trackback is more of a navigation thing. Was just wondering if it was in the roadmap for the future of the app :) Also is there a way to see the track in a more zoomed in way? The reason i ask is, it is easier to navigate back if it is possible to see the map a little zoomed in.

Thanks,
    Sindhu
  • I'm considering some navigation features. I've also considered some zooming options, but haven't really done much with either.

Hike had pretty much maxed out memory for the va and older semi-round forerunners, so I split off Hike2 a bit ago to allow for new stuff on the va-hr and 735.
  • Trackback feature

Sounds good! Will be happy to see new stuff!
  • New features I'm adding!

This isn't in the store, but I'm working on a new version!

Things I've done so far -

-There will be up to 50 waypoints. But there is much more to this story! Part of the reason is because you'll be able to save your current waypoints when you start and just see those within a certain distance (up to 10 miles/km from your current location right now). Now with many more waypoints, I've added "waypoint number" to the chart screen, that can be toggled on or off. While I was added this, I added toggling the background between white and back, along with a menu to pick a few things at startup.

-Some general cleanup of the code. More important to me than to most people, but it will make it easier to add new stuff :)

If you have any suggestions of things you want to see added, now is a good time to post them!
  • As far as the GPS, it just uses the standard GPS (and Glonass if that's on).

How do I turn Glonass on for the Hike2 app? On my VAHR, GPS/Glonass setting is per app. For example, I can set Glonass on for the built-in Run app but keep it off for the Walk app. I don't see any setting to turn Glonass on for all apps.
  • MADTJ. If you're using a va-hr, that's a known problem with the watch firmware and has been reported to Garmin. I've not heard when it may be fixed.

Is this bug fixed in firmware 2.80?