This app requires an update of your fenix 3. Please use Garmin Express to update your

Supposedly fixed 4 months ago what gives?
  • This is something at isn't uncommon when someone gets a new device.

The FW is old when it's set up, and even if there is new FW delivered to the watch when it's being set up, the app store doesn't know if that FW was actually installed.

A common fix is to just re-sync with Garmin Express or re-install GCM after the new FW has been installed, so the store knows the FW has been updated.  It make take a few minutes after this for the store to see it. 

• Same fo me, I just bought a fenix 5 plus, upgraded the FW but my connect IQ indicates that the app requires an update of the fenix 5.

• See the post right above yours.  What can happen with new devices is it's set up with old FW. and you are sent an update soon after.  But the app store doesn't know if you actually installed the new FW or ignored it.

After installing, if you do as I suggest, the app store knows what FW you are actually running.

• There is much more than this, still. I've made a firmware update a few weeks ago to v10.10 on my fenix 6X pro because I could not install my own watchface's update anymore - afterwards it worked again. But I just checked the garmin store - some apps do still show me that my watch needs an update...

I own my watch for 2.5 months now and had this issue 4 times already - although I only really needed to make an update once. This is something that makes a high end / high price watch look really bad to the end user imho... (if I compare it to a 100$ phone running android that will normally never have any system based issues at all in it's lifetime) - this thing is especially annoying if a user asks me why he can't install my watchface and I have to explain this to him...

In my case removing and readding my watch from/to the garmin app solves the issue but this means I have to redo the initial setup which is annoying.