Rowing App for Waterrower

I think that a lot of people are serching for a witged / datafield / app to record her training on garmin connect.

This was not possible because the Rower had no bluetooth module. But now there is such a module and it would be a phantastic thing if there would be a IQ App to record the rowing activity on the Watch. I think this could be a good Idea for a developer to make such app to get some money because there is nothing in this direction on the market.

What do you think?

• Great work so far. Hope you can get the data on the Fenix ​​6. I would pay a lot for such a finished, working tool!!!
  • Hey,

It is working with both at the same time ! It is even working with the Smartrow now !

Check the project out:

https://github.com/inonoob/pirowflo

The following is supported:

- Input is either S4 monitor or SmartRow
    - Output is via Bluetooth and ANT+ which means connection and sending data to Fenix 6 is working !

I've got a user with a Fenix 6 Sapphire which he does his workout all the time.

Best Regards

• I'm intrigued by this.  So, with S4 monitor and Fenix 6... 

It seems like their is a possibility for 2 data flows, or am I thinking incorrectly?

S4->PI(via USB)->Fenix 6(via Ant+)

or

S4->PI(via USB)->'Android Device'(via BT) 

I'm new to logging and looking to combine and capture data from both my fenix 6 and water rower s4.  What would you suggest is the best configuration?  

• You can have both at the same time !  The System grabs either S4 Monitor or SmartRow data and then broadcast those data via bluetooth AND ant+

The command is as follows for S4 Monitor:

python3 waterrowerthreads.py -i s4 -b -a

The command is as follows for SmartRow:

python3 waterrowerthreads.py -i sr -b -a

Best Regards

• I am building mine this week for my water rower.   But I also have a Sole exercise bike that outputs BT data, but doesnt support Ant+... now I am curious what it would take to take this project ( in the way it pulls data from the SmartRow BLE signal and converts it to Ant+...  I dont know anything about programming on this, but I am going to play wtih this a bit and see what I can find out Slight smile

• Hey,

I just check what a Sole bike is. And to be honest, it is not possible to take PiRowFlo and just change some little things.

First SmartRow uses a different bluetooth profile as all the gym equipements. I highly support that Sole bike uses the well defined Bluetooth fitness equipement profile. That must be implementend first in order to talk to your Sole bike. Then comes the part with Ant+. Ant+ also has for different fitness equipement, different profiles. I implemented the specific ant+ rowing profile.

So to recap what would you need to have your Sole work:

- Re-implement the part with bluetooth connecting as client to the Sole Bike
    - Re-implement the part for Ant+ where you need to implement the Ant+ Indoor biking profile.

I hope that helps

Best Regards

• Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.  I am going to take inspiration from your project and see what I can make happen. I know jack about Python coding, but I've found a few references and documents about people doing these kind of hacks on exercise bikes and such.

It's going to be a fun exercise Slight smile

• One more Q - I have the same setup I think you are running, the Pi Zero W + USB/Ethernet Hat + The Screen hat with the 3 buttons, OLED, and joystick.    I cant seem to get the screen code figured out.   Do you have the configs/files for that posted?  Only saw some JPGs  but nothing concrete. 

• Hey,
    I don't really understand what you mean by config/files. The source code for the screen is there:
    https://github.com/inonoob/pirowflo/tree/master/src/adapters/screen

And if you install the newest version then after the reboot you should see the screen for 10 sec then it goes of in order to protect the OLED screen from burning in effect.

• ahhh thats my bad :)  I was looking away when it would come up.  Figured there was more work to do on it or something.  I'm digging this.  I already had the Commodule, but I like where this project is going, once it can tie to ErgIQ it will be my everything. 

I am seeing all the data go into the Waterrower, or other BLE apps nicely and as expected.  On my Forerunner 945 the Garmin Rowing app doesnt seem to capture any data from the rower over Ant+ even though it shows as connected to the trainer.   Not sure if thats a garmin app issue or not.  The logs look clean though that it found the Ant+ Dongle  (Using a "Chileaf ANT310).   Not too worried at this point, its a project I am way OK waiting on any fixes :)