This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Usability Problems With New Garmin Connect Web Courses Page

TLDR: With the list of courses on the left hand side, you cannot CTRL-Click to open into a new browser tab (or Right Click and select 'Open in New Tab'). This makes it SUPER ANNOYING when planning out what Ride/Run course I want to follow. #GarminPleaseFixThis

So I've got almost 600 courses saved in my Garmin Connect Courses.

My usual workflow is to: Open MyCourses list, then filter by Type e.g. 'Road Cycling', then add a distance filter e.g '50-80 Km'
   (* Props admittedly due to the Devs for the very useful new 'Course Name' filter and actually functional distance filters!)

I would then scroll through the list and open the Courses I was thinking about riding into New Tabs (so that I could look at the routes in more detail)

With the new UI (v4.65.2.0, 23.7.6.0) it does look better, but it has BROKEN the ability to open the separate courses into new tabs (NO Ctrl-Click or Right-Click)

If you click on a Course it loads the full Course Details page (which you could duplicate the tab), but then when you go back it has lost the Filters and you have to apply them again.

This makes looking at or comparing multiple courses almost impossible, thus making the new UI absolutely useless!
[Tested on Windows 11, Firefox v112.0 + Chrome v112.0.5615.86]

GARMIN DEVS... can this please be fixed ASAP (and if anyone knows a way of temporarily going back to the old UI, that would be really helpful!

Cheers, Derek 

• All my courses are in Europe, but since about a week, Garmin Connect Web defaults to a USA location. And while in the process of making the course, when I switch from map view to satellite image view or vice versa, the map centers on the USA every time. Changing location permissions in the browser does not help. Does anyone know how to keep the location when switching views?

• I've joined your post to the ongoing pinned thread.

• I like to create courses and then use them in navigation mode. With the old web, the device would only notify in the correct place on the Course Points if the course was defined as Custom Routing and Freehand routing. With the new website, whatever the definition of the course, the created fit is wrong and when it is sent to the device, it does not notify about the Course Points.

Cheers, Javier

• Exactly the usability issues I have too. This UI update is incredibly user unfriendly (or at least the bugs/problems are more persistent than any new features currently). I'm switching to Strava for creating courses for the time being

• Yeah, I'm also working out how to switch over to RideWithGPS (the best course creation and management platform out there, IMHO)

If this is the kind of buggy 'downgrades' that Garmin are going to be launching now (plus not responding to my support ticket in over 6 days)... then I may as well start planning for my next bike computer to be a Wahoo (assuming of course that they become completely insolvent, of course Stuck out tongue)

• Same issue.  I got around it by downloading the gpx file, converting it to .fit using GPSBabel, then copying to device.  

• I've just heard back from Garmin Support...

They replied like I had sent them a feature request... not a bug report for a feature that has been broken following the UI update #BloodyInfuriating Angry

Don't get me wrong, I know web-dev is hard work, especially when dealing with the many millions of users that Garmin Connect has.

But combined with all the other little Bugs and 'Usability Downgrades' (no search in Course Create, No Zoom Scale in Couse Create, Map resetting to start when changing layers, Elevation selection colour now dark blue over a blue course making it harder to see, etc)... it's almost like the big UI change didn't go through a proper testing process with A/B functionality checking.

Does no-one in Garmin even use the Courses feature (and need to compare different courses side by side)... I can't be the only one surely??? Angry

• After the latest update the course editor is not usable. Im in Australia and seems the routing model is being used if the north-american one

• There is the Share icon for each course on the list, which should display URL - does it work for you?

If no, then this could be reported as a bug.