This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Usability Problems With New Garmin Connect Web Courses Page

TLDR: With the list of courses on the left hand side, you cannot CTRL-Click to open into a new browser tab (or Right Click and select 'Open in New Tab'). This makes it SUPER ANNOYING when planning out what Ride/Run course I want to follow. #GarminPleaseFixThis

So I've got almost 600 courses saved in my Garmin Connect Courses.

My usual workflow is to: Open MyCourses list, then filter by Type e.g. 'Road Cycling', then add a distance filter e.g '50-80 Km'
   (* Props admittedly due to the Devs for the very useful new 'Course Name' filter and actually functional distance filters!)

I would then scroll through the list and open the Courses I was thinking about riding into New Tabs (so that I could look at the routes in more detail)

With the new UI (v4.65.2.0, 23.7.6.0) it does look better, but it has BROKEN the ability to open the separate courses into new tabs (NO Ctrl-Click or Right-Click)

If you click on a Course it loads the full Course Details page (which you could duplicate the tab), but then when you go back it has lost the Filters and you have to apply them again.

This makes looking at or comparing multiple courses almost impossible, thus making the new UI absolutely useless!
[Tested on Windows 11, Firefox v112.0 + Chrome v112.0.5615.86]

GARMIN DEVS... can this please be fixed ASAP (and if anyone knows a way of temporarily going back to the old UI, that would be really helpful!

Cheers, Derek 

• In the old version of the courses page would my own courses filtered acc. to the range of the map. I miss this function, because in the new web courses pages are all my courses shown. This is very unconfortable.

• The new web browser version of Garmin Connect has some issues.  Some of these I see are already reported, some maybe not.  I didn't feel like scrolling through tons of replies to see if they were or not.

1. "My Courses" always shows all of the courses, regardless of the map position.  I have 150+ courses near my home location.  If I zoom in to a specific area, I only want to see the courses that start in that area.  I don't want to see all of them both near me and all across the country.    This is removal of prior functionality. Not good.
    2. Can't open in new tab / copy link to a map from the list of maps.  I don't want to have to open the map, then open another browser tab and go back and open the next map that I want when I want to have more than one map open at a time.  Again, removal of prior functionality, not good. 
    3. Filters clear each time.  If I apply a filter, then click on a map to see the whole thing, then go back, the filter is cleared and I have to reapply it.  Since I can't open a map in a new tab, I'm going back and forth a lot and have to reapply the filter every dang time.  Waste of time.

And a feature request, that when I saw there was a new version, I was hoping would be included:

Add in the number of points that the course has.  Since at least some of the watches (I'm not sure if all or just some) have a 50 course point limit that they will display, it's a pain to draw a course, load it to the watch, load it up and see if it's over 50 points, then if so, go back and either re-draw something or split it in to two courses.  Tell me as I'm drawing the course how many points there are so I can make intelligent decisions while I'm drawing it, not have to go back later and change things.

Thanks!

• Likewise:

1. Yes

2. UK

• Exactly like my experience with the new version. It's just a frustrating mess. Where is Garmin, are they listening to users?

• Hey GUys, not sure if you have checked the course-creator recently, but I just noticed today, that some update must have been rolled out, as the problem described doesn't pop up anymore. Every time I change map provider or just a layer of it, the view zooms out to capture whole course, rather than jumping at Kansas City - nice thing!

• Personally, I've only seen the 'Map goes to Kansas' issue when on the Courses Overview page (not in the Course Editor!) and then only intermittently (it's like it goes to Kansas when it doesn't have any other base location, i.e. from a recently selected Course or using your Browsers Location)... I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

BUT I still think that the Course Editor has a serious bug... the fact that it Resets the Map Location to the Start Point, whenever you switch the 'Map Provider' or 'Map Type'. This makes it VERY annoying when trying to check some detail on your route, by e.g. switching back and forth between Satellite/Terrain, and having to repeatedly reposition the map back to where you were before Angry

• Agree the new courses interface is terrible. I'm not sure what Garmin was trying to fix, but they've made it worse. Here are my observations.

Is there a way to use the old Courses interface cause the new one is very terrible!!??

1. The new interface is terrible for finding my courses in a specific map location. To start, I have 324 courses. Some of these I’ve modified from other sources and customized to start at specific locations. The rest I have created from scratch. I frequently reuse courses by going to a map location and looking for courses I have in my library. Once there I want to see only MY courses that start on the map I am looking at. Once I find the course I want, I download it to my Garmin Edge and share with friends for our rides.
    2. In the old interface, I could zoom in on the map and select my course on the left and see only the start points for my courses on the map and the corresponding list on the left. Then, when I hoovered over the course on the left, it would highlight on the map. This is important because many of my course start at the same location so overlay on the map. Only the top course can be selected on the map.
    3. With the new interface, if I zoom to a map location and click “Nearby Courses”, I see everyone’s courses, 99% of which I am not interested in seeing. For example, I have roughly 70 courses mapped out on Mallorca. If I zoom to the island, my options are to see everyone’s courses, one of which crosses the Atlantic, ALL of my courses 324, most are not on Mallorca, or My Favorites, also a superset of ALL of my courses. In other words, I cannot see the list of my courses on the left that corresponds to the map on the right showing only MY courses!
    4. Also, when I use the filter, if I select a course so that its detailed map is brought up, there is no way to back to the prior list or even map. I’m sent back to my location, and I have to start over.
    5. The footer is way too big and takes up a good 20% of the screen. Not good. I can only see one or two maps on the left. The list of courses with titles and
    6. If I switch map types, from satellite to default or vice versa, while creating a course, I’m returned to the start of the course.
    7. With the new interface I have to save the course to save the name. Then I have to reopen the course then and edit.
    8. The “Favorite” star is now gray or clear instead of yellow. Is not filled in a favorite or is gray? It’s not obvious! Yellow was better?
  • Garmin-Sara and Garmin-Amy, several of us are having a similar discussion in this thread:  https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/330713/usability-problems-with-new-garmin-connect-web-courses-page#  I'd like to be added to the ticket for usability as well.  1) Yes you can email me, 2) USA.  

• You have been added, thank you.