This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Usability Problems With New Garmin Connect Web Courses Page

TLDR: With the list of courses on the left hand side, you cannot CTRL-Click to open into a new browser tab (or Right Click and select 'Open in New Tab'). This makes it SUPER ANNOYING when planning out what Ride/Run course I want to follow. #GarminPleaseFixThis

So I've got almost 600 courses saved in my Garmin Connect Courses.

My usual workflow is to: Open MyCourses list, then filter by Type e.g. 'Road Cycling', then add a distance filter e.g '50-80 Km'
   (* Props admittedly due to the Devs for the very useful new 'Course Name' filter and actually functional distance filters!)

I would then scroll through the list and open the Courses I was thinking about riding into New Tabs (so that I could look at the routes in more detail)

With the new UI (v4.65.2.0, 23.7.6.0) it does look better, but it has BROKEN the ability to open the separate courses into new tabs (NO Ctrl-Click or Right-Click)

If you click on a Course it loads the full Course Details page (which you could duplicate the tab), but then when you go back it has lost the Filters and you have to apply them again.

This makes looking at or comparing multiple courses almost impossible, thus making the new UI absolutely useless!
[Tested on Windows 11, Firefox v112.0 + Chrome v112.0.5615.86]

GARMIN DEVS... can this please be fixed ASAP (and if anyone knows a way of temporarily going back to the old UI, that would be really helpful!

Cheers, Derek 

• It works fine for them: Garmin International, Inc., 1200 E. 151st St., Olathe, Kansas 66062, USA.

For other users not so much, overall it's very old issue with Courses' and Segments' maps.

Currently it happens also when changing a map background.

• Ouch!  I see what you mean.  I do like to right click and open in a new tab.

The new Courses view is unhelpful.  The course previews cause an unnecessary amount of scrolling, but worse, the "Recently Created" sort puts the oldest courses first, not the most recently created.  These are the ones I have recently created because I want to ride them.  I've sent that feedback as a suggestion through the customer support page.  Hoping that posting here will prompt them to fix all these problems.

• the "Recently Created" sort puts the oldest courses first, not the most recently created.

Hm, strange, I get the newest courses at the top

Hoping that posting here will prompt them to fix all these problems.

Most probably not. They do not really monitor the user forums closely. It is always safer contacting the Support directly.

• Same thing happens if you link a GPS activity to a Calendar event.

And it worked fine until the last week or so.

• This new web courses UX functionality is pretty terrible compared to the just replaced version. It's making me ponder investigating alternates.

• Defaults to Kansas constantly
    • Doesn't filter/refresh the listed "My Courses" when you move the map to a specific area
    • Can only see 1 1/2 entries in the list now they've decided it needed a mini-map in the list - it worked fine for me having a text only list and hovering over an entry would draw it on the map. I'd rather see a dozen text entries.
    • Can't right click open in new tab any longer from the list or the map - so all you can do is open a single entry and when you close it you're back in Kansas
  • I haven't had this problem with the Course location resetting to 'Kansas' (I'm in the UK if that matter).. But I have noticed one Major and several Minor Bugs following the new Course page UI update a few days ago.

A) The biggest issue I've found so far (which for me really breaks how I select which ride/run I'm going to do Sob) is that on the Courses page, with the list of courses on the left side, you can no longer quickly open different courses in New Tabs (by Ctrl-Clicking or Right-Clicking and selecting 'Open in New Tab')
    I've created a post with example pictures on the Garmin Forum, just for this issue!
    https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/330203/serious-usability-problem-in-new-garmin-connect-web-courses-page---no-way-to-open-courses-into-new-tabs-v4-65-2-0-23-7-6-0

I also emailed Garmin Support about the above, but I haven't heard anything back after a few days!

I've also noticed several other irritating 'bugs' with the viewing & editing of Courses:

1) Changing the Map Type or Map Layer very annoyingly resets the zoom + map focus to the start (Not back to Kansas)
    2) Highlighting a section of the Elevation profile, shows on the map in a really similar colour (Darker Blue over Blue )
    3) Difficulties Moving/Deleting course Dots / Course-Points
    4) Not able to follow a track over some Popularity Data (Purple) Lines.
    5) Error Message shown briefly, when switching into Edit Mode
    6 On a 'Nearby Course' that I 'Duplicated' so I could edit and save in my account. After a Save/Reload/Edit, it seems to have stopped allowing me to actually making any changes.

• Agreed, the inability to open in a new tab is a PITA - I had it as my last bullet :D

I haven't even tried creating a new course since the update. It's so hard to see what courses I've already got now.

edit: Given the complete lack of testing which seems to have occurred, one might hope they'll roll back to the old version for a while...

• Not that it helps you much @7823482, but just to say that I'm getting the correct sorting order when I select "Sort By: Recently Created".
    This is true when I'm on "My Courses" and "StarFavourites", both with NO filters selected and Filters Enabled.

(Not to say that you are not seeing a different bug!)

• Sort order works for me, but I can only see 1 1/2 entries in the list on my screen now they've put the pointless mini-map in there.

• Weirdly, the sort order was wrong on two different PCs, until after trux's post, and is OK now.  The pointless previews and inability to open a specific course on a new tab are still a problem