This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training Status separated when using two devices

I have a FR645 and an EDGE530, one for running (with chest strap) and one for cycling (chest strap and power meter).

Physio TrueUp is enabled on both devices, so I was expecting to see my cumulative training status, taking into consideration both runing and cycling.

But no, I have two different training status, one for each device:

FR645

EDGE530

My FR645 is telling me that I'm in a recovery period, but of corse it's not and I'm digging hard into cycling.

The only updated data is the recovery advisor, which on my everyday FR645 shows me correctly 42 hours, which is the recovery advice calculated by my EDGE 530, even if FR645 is still saying that I'm basically doing nothing (recovery...).

This is bad, because the whole point of choosing two devices of the same brand is to share information between the two, to be able to plan my next training session.

In my opinion Training Status must be a cumulative data, not divided by device but by sport: for example if I'm able to see only my running training status on Garmin Connect, I can adjust my schedule to compesate for imbalance between two my sports, but my overall training status is always the same, I'm not "recovery" if I'm overtraining with cycling!

• This is super annoying! Same for me. Both say optimal - am I overtraining?!

• Usually with devices is better to write to developers to report a bug. 

How to do it about Garmin Connect issues? 

Probably the best way is to send it to all beta e-mails? 

• @Garmin - When is this going to be fixed? Training status is athlete specific, not device specific, and Lordy one would expect 2 Garmin devices for 1 athlete, especially a watch and cycling computer which is such a common use case, should deliver A UNIFIED TRAINING STATUS ON GARMIN CONNECT!!

• New FR935 version 19.10 has been out of wild few weeks now, major upgrade from 15.xx according the version numbering anyway. Still no improvement with this issue as far I can see :(

I do not know if this problem is due cloud service layers or the firmware of device(s), but I suspect we can blame both maybe with some licensing issues. AFAIK the "Training Status" analytics is licensed from Firstbeat by Garmin - maybe Garmin struggles to bend the licensing terms to fit in proper TrueUp sync to their platform - otherwise, from the technical standpoint, it just can't take several years to fix this.If there are legal offices mixed here, then ... sigh.... couple of years is blink of eye.     

• I have been told it is technical. After nearly 6 months of back and forward I finally had that confirmed early in March by their "escalatation" support team.

A couple of weeks ago they asked me (for the 3rd time) for my Garmin folder and some diagnostics, including screenshots. In an email just this morning I was told that:

"At present we are continuing to look into this issue and there is no update at this time.

The reason we asked for the updated folders and information is to check whether you have experienced a change in the issue over time, for example, after a software update. 

We will continue to work at this and, once we have a fix, we will let you know."

Which I read as being "we hoped we would have accidentally fixed this because we are not capable to working out how to".

• It can"t be pure technical issue, they have divided Training Status to be displayed as per device basis. Thus is designed in purpose to show each device information as per device. There no effort fuse them on coherent athlete central information.

It seems more that they have not figured out how to combine Training Status algorithm results any other way than calculate that again by using combined activity history from each device. It means that they need to include Firstbeat secret sause to they platform code base, be that mobile app or website. I assume that Firstbeat would want some $$$ for that to enable Garmin to use they IP to be used outside device firmware - obviously Garmin beancounters and/or legal office think otherwise.

Software engineer can not just do it that in the platform level if they do not have that special algorithm to calculate Training Status. I bet that in the device firmware Firstbeat stuff is linked as binary blob making it impossible to be used outside device firmware without they involvement and we are back with licensing.

The situation resembles how the Android devices SoC firmware is delivered as such resulting that device makers are kept as hostages (to be able to update the device for new Android version need a new Linux kernel with new version of binary blobs) by chipmakers like Qualcomm (who are famous not to support their platforms outside it's hey day).

I think only hope to get this resolved relatively fast is that Garmin SW engineers figure out a way piping combined activity history through one device again and get somehow the device recalculate Training Status..Firstbeat might well have been built some guards against this like checking data origin within algorithm or something. Otherwise this issue should be resolved long ago.

We need to raise loud VoC to push marketing to push beancounters to push legal office to make a proper deal with FirstbeatBlush 

• Thus is designed in purpose to show each device information as per device.

Why are you sure about It if Garmin told him that they "are continuing to look into this issue"?

I think only hope to get this resolved relatively fast is that Garmin SW engineers figure out a way piping combined activity history through one device again and get somehow the device recalculate Training Status.

This already exist and it is related to Phisio TrueUp. Because the recente devices sync each other (through Garmin Connect) V02Max and recent activities, all new devices have all datas to show the same VO2Max and Training Status. If this is not happening means that there is an issue. Full stop. 

• You seem to have decided for yourself this is a legal issue and are determined to work back from that conclusion. What it’s based on, I’m not sure. I‘m telling you what Garmin have told me, though clearly they have a track record of lies and ***.

Take it or leave it; but I’m sure we can both agree that whether by design or not, this problem renders the feature useless for people who have spent thousands of euros, pounds, dollars or whatever on multiple Garmin devices. 

• A quick scan through this thread leaves me with one idea: uploading each device to Training Peaks and using the TSS. In addition, my 245 gives me a sense of recovery each morning (although not as detailed as Whoop). I agree, this is shabby from Garmin

• I have (had) the same two issues

1. Nothing sync across devices

2. Separate metrics

Training metrics not synchronised across devices etc. I followed the steps that users with only trueup (and not physio trueup) devices suggested. I.e. turn the fenix 5 off when i go out wit the edge 530 and then sync it after the Edge synced. Now my loads and metrics are syncing across device including the recovery times. So that  is better - at least it is syncing across devices. But, each device still has its own training load. Here is the link from the other posts (https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/vivomove-hr/150449/true-up-not-working-properly)

So syncing across devices at least happening now.

Syncing (or even thinking)  that the metrics are incorporated still not a feat Garmin can manage