This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

More FW rev 13.22 Battery Weirdness

So I started seeing excessive battery drain when I upgraded from 13.15 to 13.21 (see this post) and thought that 13.22 fixed it as I saw the battery drain return to 4-5%/day in smartwatch mode. That was Thursday 12/1. Last night  I noticed the battery had drained more than I thought it should have (3% vs 1-2% for the same time) but thought nothing of it. However this afternoon I checked the battery and am now seeing about a 1% drop every 1.5-2 hours. 

I don't expect the battery's discharge rate to be linear (currently at 55%). But that kind of jump is crazy!

So I have hard reset the 955 in hopes that whatever was running in the background has stopped. Will update this thread in a few hours.

• Well I was hoping with 13.23 my battery issues, along with this post could sink into the abyss. But after about 3 days, My smart watch mode battery drain went from 0.2 - 0.3%/ hour to 0.5%/hour. Resetting the 955 and swinging the magical chicken overhead seemed to fix it for about 24 hours. But then back to 0.5% (or 1% every 2 hours) battery drain.

I don't believe this is a hardware issue as this seems to happen at random times during the battery drain curve.

I sure hope this gets fixed soon as I am approaching 6 days of battery life with my normal training program and was seeing 8-10 days prior to version 13.21. 

• i can confirm it is (most likely) not a hardware issue.

i got a replacement watch fro garmin due to this and other issues experienced since v13.22. unfortunately i forgot to disable auto-updates so i could confirm that issues were not present on the old FW it came with but this new wath is suffering all the same issues with 13.22.

unfortunately the v14 beta release notes suggest there is no fix for any of my issues coming there either

• Too bad. I didn't see this with13.5 in the 2+ weeks I had it. So I know it can be done

• I'm also about 0.5% per hour now.

• Hmmm, it seems that the "drain trigger" could be the "Sleep Mode"? Almost all of you, guys, fix the drain issue for a day after resetting the watch, but it comes back. 

It could be that the night mode changes some features and then they get stuck. Have you tried NOT setting or configuring sleep mode?

• I too experience fast discharge rates. I don't know what triggers it, but sometimes it is okay, sometimes it is abnormal. E.g., a few days ago it went from 100% to 99% in one night, which is okay I guess. However, last night it went from 84% to 65%, which is more like abnormal. It was in the exact same state (night mode on, airplane mode on, PulseOx off) in both cases. And in the last few hours it continued this rate. Now it is at 58%. Oh, and it just decided to turn off by itself right now while I am writing these lines! :O What is going on with my watch? FW version 13.23. I start loosing my trust in this device. What if it decides to turn off during a race or in the woods?! It never happened to my FR945. 

• Actually, this in not my experience. I've seen these spikes occur in the middle of the day, at night, and in the morning. The timing, for me anyway, seems somewhat random. For 13.21 and 13.22 resetting the 955 didn't always alleviate the problem. For 13.23 it seems that it does. Hopefully 14.08 fixes it?? But we'll see. I've seen the watch "behave" for 1-2 days before exhibiting the problem. So I'll be convinced it's been fixed after a week of consistency .

Fingers crossed 

• I have an injury induced week of no sports. Still I average 0.48% battery usage per hour with message notifications turned off. 

Sigh…

• Same problem here. Sometimes during night (8h spo2 ON and night mode ON) it drains more than 30%, it's unacceptable.

• 30% is really crazy.

Oh 1 tip.

Try to disable the touchscreen during sleep. You guys may accidentally go into 1 of the glances and trigger the drain like in compass.