This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

More FW rev 13.22 Battery Weirdness

So I started seeing excessive battery drain when I upgraded from 13.15 to 13.21 (see this post) and thought that 13.22 fixed it as I saw the battery drain return to 4-5%/day in smartwatch mode. That was Thursday 12/1. Last night  I noticed the battery had drained more than I thought it should have (3% vs 1-2% for the same time) but thought nothing of it. However this afternoon I checked the battery and am now seeing about a 1% drop every 1.5-2 hours. 

I don't expect the battery's discharge rate to be linear (currently at 55%). But that kind of jump is crazy!

So I have hard reset the 955 in hopes that whatever was running in the background has stopped. Will update this thread in a few hours.

• Hello, well if it were a consumption of 5/7% every 24 hours it would be right. In total, each top-up would last 15/20 days

• On one of the previous FWs I had 16 hours of walking/running (GPS Only)  and still more than 20% remaining battery. So "something" has definately changed.

• il mio 955 dopo averlo caricato al 100% per i primi giorni si scarica solo del 4/5% ogni 24 ore, poi sempre di più. Mi sembra che dopo aver registrato un'attività con il gps, le ore successive consumino ancora di più la batteria. L'ultima carica al 100% mi è durata 7 giorni con 6,5 ore di GPS (3 solo GPS e 3,5 tutti i sistemi) e smartwatch e cardio attivi 24 ore.

• Yes , its definitely using more battery. On all the previous versions it was consuming around .4% per hour where no activities are recorded and now it is averaging around .8% per hour again with no activities recorded. 

• misery likes company Stuck out tongue

: i hope you have seen this thread. it seems universally acknowledged that something happend with smart-watch, non-activity battery consumption starting with 13.21/13.22. i am confdient that this problem did not exist prior to this recent release. 13.15beta was using the same battery amount as prior version, but this latest update is using appreciably more power.

are Garmin engineering aware of this? i'm happy to share info/logs if that helps. just send me an email.

• Yes, Garmin, please look into this.

Whoever is responsible for quality control at Garmin‘s dev department needs more resources.  I find it depressing that I buy such a high-end watch and get obvious system level bugs months after release/purchase.

• I am on 13.25 now.

It is about 0.45% per hour.

BT = ON, WIFI = OFF, SPO2 = sleep, no activity

Roughly in line with previous versions.

• What version do you have? 13.22 or 13.25?

The most current is 13.22 right? 

• Yes! Whatever I can do to help as well. In my case, resetting (soft/Hard) doesn't seem to help. Nor does turning any connectivity off. I can also confirm that 3.15 did not exibit any of this and seemed pretty rock solid

I have also noticed, in my case, times where the 955 goes into a mode where it is draining a normal 1% every 4-5 hours. Then the watch will go back up to 1% every 2 hours (referring to smart watch mode). So, I think, some process(es) are running in the background that may be causing this.... Maybe telemetry??

• I tried the following things to workaround the issue:

- soft and hard reset

- sync with Garmin Express

- turn on in aeroplane mode

- re-pair with the phone and add to Garmin connect from scratch

- disable headphones and HRM strap in the "sensors and accessories" settings

Nothing helped, not even temporarily as far as I know. It would be great if Garmin can fix it. I was already very happy with the battery life, but such a significant regression is disappointing.