This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Beta - Forerunner 945 5.09 now available!

Download

Notes:

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.09:

• Added support for Daily Suggested Workouts, which are recommended based on previous activities. You can disable this from activity settings. (Run/Bike > Menu > Training > Workouts > Today's Suggestion.)
  • Added support for the Track Run activity, which allows you to record outdoor track data, including lap splits and distance in meters, on a standard shape 400m track.
  • Added support for Improved Recovery Time, which takes your stress, sleep, relaxation, and physical activity into consideration.
  • Added support for Bouldering and Indoor Climb activity profiles.
  • Added support for Grit and Flow features for mountain biking activities. Grit measures the overall difficulty of a ride, and Flow measures how well you maintain your speed throughout the ride.
  • Improved optical heart rate performance.
  • Updated the look of the Alarm screen.
  • Updated the main workout data screen to indicate High, Low, or In Range for the current target.
  • Various other improvements and bug fixes.

Installation Instructions

1. Connect your Forerunner 945 to your computer using the USB cable.
  2. Download and unzip Forerunner945_509Beta.zip. Place the GUPDATE.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder of your device's internal storage drive.
  3. From the RemoteSW folder in the unzipped download, copy the GUP3114.GCD and 006B310705.GCD into the \GARMIN\RemoteSW folder on your device.
  4. Disconnect your device from the computer, approve the update on the watch, and wait for the update to finish.
  5. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, place the GUPDATE-500.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder. Rename GUPDATE-500.GCD to GUPDATE.GCD before disconnecting your device. NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.
  6. To downgrade your peripheral software, place the GUP3114-604.GCD and the 006B310705-440.GCD from the RemoteSW\Downgrades folder into your device's \GARMIN\RemoteSW folder.
  • For one, the new suggested workouts feature could be power based for running like it is for cycling. 

• To me oHR seems to work worse than on 5.00 too. I did one run today and HR is all over the place. I've been on an easy run and HR is wonky all over the time; there spikes up to 168bpm coming from 143 on a flat street course. 143 seemed reasonable for my pace.

• I don't see any changes to the alarm screen - anyone know what changed?

• It would give you full compatibility with TrainingPeaks for example. You could plan with power and import automatically.

• But GPS data has no relation to the other functionalities like sleep or HR tracking of the watch.

So I don't understand why is there a need to separate the versions?

• Got you. I dont use Training Peaks. I use the Stryd plans and use the CIQ app. It works just fine. The only thing that I am missing from the CIQ app, which to me is a big deal, is that you cannot plan on distance. Just time. I asked the Stryd team a couple weeks ago and they said that there was no solution and they were not planing to get one in the close future.

• Frankly, I don't understand why they don't support an open platform for the foot pods.  There's a definite market need for it, ESPECIALLY this  year when you have so many running inside on treadmills, plus trail  running...  if Garmin's not going to make their own state of the art footpod, why not bake in support for others?  I bought a Stryd and ended up returning it, because it didn't seem like it really did much to help make my trail runs more accurate. 

• First, there is a ANT standard for foot pods. Garmin does make one wich is still state of the art. But: you dont mean "foot pod" but running with power (coming from special pods wich do way more than foot pods). Footpods are mostly legacy stuff.

I dont think its only on Garmins side. Stryd could also accelerate the game if they would start to standardize running power (broadcast). They dont have to agree on how to calculate things, but only on how to transmit power data. If there is a ANT protocol, changes that Garmin will support it are much higher.

• IMO, if power is not a metric of interest for you then the improvements provided by Stryd in tracking pace and distance justify to keep the pod. This is significantly better than any GPS watch.

My Stryd pod is the only device that I would immediately replace if I were going to lose/break it.

• Can confirm the ast paragraph - today during "real" heartrate 100-120 watches showed 160-165 (activity cardio). After watches restart OHR showed "normal" values.

Otherwise for "serious" activities I use chest HR monitor. This activity was taken during kids sports games just for fun and for observing the OHR behaviour after sw update.