This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill distance way off, calibration making things even worse.

So, of course, you can never know if a treadmill is counting the distance perfectly. But the ones I've been using for years have reported distances consistantly, and on par with my outdoor running distance/time. And my FR 235 did a good job estimating Treadmill distance, consistently reporting around 0,95 km per 1 km on the teadmill.

The FR 945 is a completely different story. It started of recording about 1,4 km per 1 km on the treadmill on my standard 5 km @ 4:30 min/km. Using the Calibrate after saving function doesn't make things any better, actually they are getting worse! Today (fw 2.80 on the watch) every 1 km on the treadmill was more than 2 km on the watch, resulting in a world record over 10k at 21:19 min - WOHOOO!  Disappointed

As I understand the concept of calibrating, the watch should take the distance I put in when calibrating, and use it together with the number of steps measured for the same workout to get a new stride length for better treadmill distance calculation in the future? Or does the calibration feature only edit the distance for that specific run? 

The only setting that I've found that could mess things up is the optional manual stride length for walking in Garmin connect app, but I have that one of, and it shouldnt be relevant for tredmill running nayway?

This problem seems widesperad on the FR245, is it equally bad for everyone on FR 945?

• 3.30 did not really solved the treadmill calibration issue in my Forerunner 945... 

Before 3.30: distance was off in every treadmill run, even after calibrating it after a run.

3.30: treadmill calibration works! As long as you only run on the treadmill... as soon as I run outdoors, and go back to the treadmill, the calibration is off.

This wasn't happening some months ago... this wasn't happening in my 935... this is getting more and more frustrating as the weather is getting worse and worse, Garmin... Confounded  

Fingers crossed the 3.77 fixes this forever (I will also wait for the public release – done enough testing!)

• I have the same issue with my 245. Yesterday I did an easy treadmill run at 9:30 min/mile and it was reporting 24min/mile pace. Today, I did some intervals at 8:00 min/mile and it has me hitting 4:00 min/mile pace. Really ridiculous.

• Same for my 5x. I calibrate after every treadmill run, but the measured distance stays at approximately double of what I ran. 

• Hopefully some good news as I am cautiously optimistic. Yesterday I put on my fenix 5x, no foot pod,  and my watch said it updated to software version 15.0. I did a short easy run on the treadmill. Similar to every other run over the last 4 months the 5x only measured half the distance I actually ran. I  calibrated as always at the end but as everyone knows it totally throws your stats off. I figured the update did nothing to fix our problem. Jump on the treadmill today, no foot pod, and ran 6 miles and my 5x registered 5.8! Whoo hoo! Seems like after my calibration yesterday my watch remembered as it once did. Could it be fixed? Hoping my next run will be even closer. 

• What’s going on. When will this be fixed?

• When will this be fixed?

Soon after Open Water Swimming and Live Auto Track. ;-)

As Garmin Blake wrote THREE months ago:

"We are actively working on a fix for treadmill calibration issues on the 945."

Took one release to destroy the functionality, takes half a year to bring it back to working again. Ridiculous. 

• Latest firmware (got it this morning -3.90) includes a new calibration feature, haven't tried it yet.

• I'm having this exact same issue on my VA4S so frustrating! 

• Did you solved with 3.90?