This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill distance way off, calibration making things even worse.

So, of course, you can never know if a treadmill is counting the distance perfectly. But the ones I've been using for years have reported distances consistantly, and on par with my outdoor running distance/time. And my FR 235 did a good job estimating Treadmill distance, consistently reporting around 0,95 km per 1 km on the teadmill.

The FR 945 is a completely different story. It started of recording about 1,4 km per 1 km on the treadmill on my standard 5 km @ 4:30 min/km. Using the Calibrate after saving function doesn't make things any better, actually they are getting worse! Today (fw 2.80 on the watch) every 1 km on the treadmill was more than 2 km on the watch, resulting in a world record over 10k at 21:19 min - WOHOOO!  Disappointed

As I understand the concept of calibrating, the watch should take the distance I put in when calibrating, and use it together with the number of steps measured for the same workout to get a new stride length for better treadmill distance calculation in the future? Or does the calibration feature only edit the distance for that specific run? 

The only setting that I've found that could mess things up is the optional manual stride length for walking in Garmin connect app, but I have that one of, and it shouldnt be relevant for tredmill running nayway?

This problem seems widesperad on the FR245, is it equally bad for everyone on FR 945?

• Same exact issue.  Treadmill mode has me running approximately double the speed I am running.  Have calibrated and saved after each run but it has no impact on my future runs.  Very frustrating and an easy fix on their part.

• Check the 245 forum, I have a post there. I managed to fix mine. Try to reset to factory defaults, don’t install any app, face or widget. Run once on TM more than 2km, calibrate and save, the run again, and the distance is absolutely correct. I can’t tell you why this time worked, because I’ve tried this in the past twice (to reset)  and it didn’t work. I guess I also upgraded to the latest SW version meanwhile. I don’t know if by installing apps or faces or widgets from third party from Connect IQ will cause the issue to reappear, but I have the feeling that somehow one of the apps I installed caused the issue

• We are actively working on a fix for treadmill calibration issues on the 945. There have been multiple reports with slightly different symptoms. I do not have a timeline for a permanent fix but this will be addressed. We thank you all for your patience in the meantime. 

• Mr. Blake, what about the 245M is still there a similar problem there too?

• Without going in code level, by symptoms appear the issue has to do aggregation or calculation of  data and count while running on TM realtime.  I let the watch battery to totally depleted, charge from zero, then run one hour on TM. As result, shows miles run close to realistic or expected number. Stil need to run several time to draw conclusion, but the first run seems to be working.

• I've been having the same issue on my Fenix 5. It started maybe a month ago. I started after I went for an outdoor run (GPS) and now I've only been running Treadmill runs. After each Treadmill run I do the Calibrate and Save and it still is off by a large amount. The amount it is off has never gotten closer after calibrating it each time.

• Same issue on FR 645 M...

• I did this, hard reset my FR945. Need to spare some times to re-setup my setting. The problem solved right away, had 2 round of treadmill session, the accuracy was excellent. Gone back to the road, had another 2 outdoor road running, came back to treadmill today, the problem starts back. Did re-calibration for 3 times, the pace/distance still gone haywire. 

• It should be your top priority. I'm one of other thousands frustrated users having this issue.

• . This is quite ridiculous Garmin engineers are not able to fix an issue if this is a software issue.

I managed to return my watch. I will stop buying Garmin for a while