This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill distance way off, calibration making things even worse.

So, of course, you can never know if a treadmill is counting the distance perfectly. But the ones I've been using for years have reported distances consistantly, and on par with my outdoor running distance/time. And my FR 235 did a good job estimating Treadmill distance, consistently reporting around 0,95 km per 1 km on the teadmill.

The FR 945 is a completely different story. It started of recording about 1,4 km per 1 km on the treadmill on my standard 5 km @ 4:30 min/km. Using the Calibrate after saving function doesn't make things any better, actually they are getting worse! Today (fw 2.80 on the watch) every 1 km on the treadmill was more than 2 km on the watch, resulting in a world record over 10k at 21:19 min - WOHOOO!  Disappointed

As I understand the concept of calibrating, the watch should take the distance I put in when calibrating, and use it together with the number of steps measured for the same workout to get a new stride length for better treadmill distance calculation in the future? Or does the calibration feature only edit the distance for that specific run? 

The only setting that I've found that could mess things up is the optional manual stride length for walking in Garmin connect app, but I have that one of, and it shouldnt be relevant for tredmill running nayway?

This problem seems widesperad on the FR245, is it equally bad for everyone on FR 945?

• My first Garmin 945 would let me adjust the distance to correct it, but my replacement after first one died is all over the place and won't let me change it.

• I can confirm with 3.30 firmware and Garmin Foot Pod my treadmill runs record distance correctly. 

• Good evening, when will this issue be fixed? What date? It is not very good publicity to have one of your main sports watches functioning like this.

• I actually had use my 935xt for the treadmill, very poor GARMIN, very poor indeed.

• Fenix 5x plus FIXED!!!  I updated from software V9.10 to beta V9.72.  After one 2 mile calibration run on the treadmill, the next run was very accurate.  This is the first time my watch matched the treadmill almost exactly.  I would assume the forerunner has a similar beta available so be on the lookout! Grinning

• I did my first treadmill run today with 3.3. before, the difference was about 20%. Now in the first run, it was only 1%. The Fenix 5 and 5+ were overall between 3-5%. 

All without a footpod or HRM Run, all at similar paces. 

• Has this issue been resolved? I’ve even tried doing 2 runs outside and it didn’t help. I ran a marathon and my treadmill calibration is still way off. 

• According to Blake an update is coming mid November for this issue. (BTW: mine is dead on with a Garmin foot pod). The Fenix 6’s have a new beta firmware that fixed the treadmill issue. (Just came out) Us Forerunner 945’s have to wait it out a bit longer. 

• I have a Garmin forerunner 645. it started sensing speeds to be way slower than actual when in treadmill. For example, a 8:50 min/ mile would be displayed as 13:00 min/mile. This started happening in my last 3 runs in the last 2 weeks. My device is using a 6.20 version. I hope Garmin will fix this soon and will stay fixed as 2 versions ago, there was a treadmill calibration  update. 

• It seems it solved for th FR945 with the firmtware 3.30. 

I had this problem and yesterday my watch updated the firmware from 2.80 to 3.30  I did 3 run sessions of 15 min each. After the first I calibrated but not the sufficient since the watch did not allow me to adjust the distance by such a big diference. (It was over the double) Second session I calibrate to the exact distance and the 3r session it gave me on the treadmill 2.6 km and the watch gave me 2.65. Its more than enough for me. So the 3.30 solved it!

Best