This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill distance way off, calibration making things even worse.

So, of course, you can never know if a treadmill is counting the distance perfectly. But the ones I've been using for years have reported distances consistantly, and on par with my outdoor running distance/time. And my FR 235 did a good job estimating Treadmill distance, consistently reporting around 0,95 km per 1 km on the teadmill.

The FR 945 is a completely different story. It started of recording about 1,4 km per 1 km on the treadmill on my standard 5 km @ 4:30 min/km. Using the Calibrate after saving function doesn't make things any better, actually they are getting worse! Today (fw 2.80 on the watch) every 1 km on the treadmill was more than 2 km on the watch, resulting in a world record over 10k at 21:19 min - WOHOOO!  Disappointed

As I understand the concept of calibrating, the watch should take the distance I put in when calibrating, and use it together with the number of steps measured for the same workout to get a new stride length for better treadmill distance calculation in the future? Or does the calibration feature only edit the distance for that specific run? 

The only setting that I've found that could mess things up is the optional manual stride length for walking in Garmin connect app, but I have that one of, and it shouldnt be relevant for tredmill running nayway?

This problem seems widesperad on the FR245, is it equally bad for everyone on FR 945?

• Another one getting a little bit frustrated after every treadmill run... Weary

In my case, the distance given by the watch is consistently around 50% of the real (as given by the treadmill) distance covered. When I try to manually enter the real distance run (after. every. single. treadmill. run), things only get more frustrating because most of the times it is not possible to enter every distance! For example, I run 10.52 miles (on the treadmill display) but the watch only allows me to manually enter 0 to 8 miles and say, .00 to .40 miles.

With winter coming and more and more people heading to the treadmill... Garmin, please, put some more energy/people into this! As others have commented below, this issues is affecting other functions of the watch and proper recording of activity/training efforts.

Come on, you got it! Wink

• This is a problem for me with the Vivoactive 3 (no music) and footpod, also.  Middle paces seem to be okaY (8.5 - 9.0 km/hr) but walks are registering slower, and higher paced running registering even higher.  Is this being addressed as well?

• This is the single annoying thing with my Fenix 5 watch. And you are right on the spot. Mine is acutally, even if Im calibrating after every run, only getting worse. I now have an easy run pace at 3:30/km. I really wish that was the true pace, but its actually closer to 5:30/km.

This is messing up my strava miles. Its no way of changing it. Please Garmin, just fix so you use the laste stride lenght, and send that not only to Garmin connect (the totals are correct there), but also to Strava. My connections there think Im going for the sub 2 hour marathon soon.

• Please remember the Fenix 5 as well. I will be so happy when that is fixed. Thank you!

• Hi. I have exactly the same problem with my new FR 945. If I go on a 5 min per k pace on the treadmill the watch marks 2.5 min km. Around the double of the speed. I calibrate many times but did not change anything which is strange. I had a fénix 3 that did not had the option to calibrate after the run. It never gave me more that 5% error. But 100% its to much. And what is interesting is that the error is exactly the double. 
    anyone has a solution?

• Same problem here when doing treadmill with Fénix 5 + HRM-TRI strap.

I have outdoor runs. It worked well till 7th of October. It was not precise but was much more close to the real distance. 

Since then it getting more off. Now it approximately doubles the stride length. 

I do calibrate after every treadmill session. Doesn't make it any better. 

Now I also manually set the stride length. Doesn't matter.

All the parameters look good but not the stride length. 

• Same problem here when doing treadmill with Fénix 5 + HRM-TRI strap.

I had outdoor runs, stride length was calculated correctly. Treadmill distances was OK, it worked well till 7th of October. It was not precise but was much more close to the real distance. The actual and calculated distance difference was under 5%.

Since then it getting more off. Now it approximately doubles the stride length. 

I do calibrate after every treadmill session. Doesn't make it any better. 

Now I also manually set the stride length. Doesn't matter.

All the parameters look good but not the stride length. 

• I actually had fewer km. Ran 12km and my watch said that I've run 10k!

Craaaazy... total disaster Garmin.... spent 600$ on that

• Exactly same problem now with my 945fr

• Exactly the same problem with my FR945.