This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS Accuracy

Didn't find thread about the subject in 945 forum, so let's start. There was something about the GPS soak and best setting for UK.

What are your experiences and what GPS setting are you using?

I had been using 935 with GPS+Galileo and set the same to 945 and the accuracy seems to be worse.

Maybe I need to switch to GPS+GLONASS as it's what has been optimized more by Garmin atm, what I've understood.

• Oooh! Installing now ;)

• Hope this improves GPS performance overall (mine is set to GPS + GLOSNASS)

• Let's try. How did you find it? :D It's not listed on https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-02063-00

Which still says that there's 2.48 Beta.

• DC Rainmaker twittered it. So nothing magic from my sideGrinning

• Just a tip: check the MARQ updates, it was there as well in one of the latest updates....

BTW: it's exact the same file there - 100% identical, which makes sense due to the same hardware in these models.

• So first test with the Beta GPS firmware. Promising! Not as good as 935 still, but not miles away either. Both logged very similar distances, but if I do close ups, 945 is more often wrong than 935. Under passages especially seems to be hard for 945. GPS lock time was much better with 935, but might have something to do with first GPS lock with new firmware. Tried to get CPE updated.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3747540379
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3747521325

945 - Green, 935 - Blue.

1. The old trusty football field. Now these are pretty good. No complains! Points: 1-1

2. Under the motorway. 935 struggles in side the underpassage but 945 skips long way and then has a spike. Points to 935, 1-2.

3.Visit to stop. Paused the watches. Even waited some time to give 945 more opportunity to match 935, but no, cuts straight line, so points again to 935, 1-3. 

4. Last meters with underpassage. 935 is really spot on, some errors in the last small ramps, 945 not bad, as I have something to compare, points again to 935, 1-4.

So all in all. The new GPS firmware seems to have made significant improvements to GPS+Galileo. Distance wise the difference is really minimal and if this trend keeps up, good. GPS trackwise, it leaves room for improvements and is not as good as 935, but the difference is not so annoying anymore.

• Oh and GPS+Galileo for both.

• Moving from a 645M it seems the track accuracy has improved (both GPS + Galileo), except for one specific run. I never had a 935 so can't comment on that, but can say that the 645M was a huge disappointment in terms of accuracy compared to my previous 630. Both the 645M and the 945 don't deal well with passings under bridges - which is something I never had issues with before the 645M and the 945.

• Today was a day I looked forward since I bought the 945, a trail-run with a friend who owns a V800. Of course I was also happy to meet him again :-)

SW-Germany, deep forest trails, many single-trails with curves, climbs etc. (20k in total)

To make it short: our km-laps came within a few steps!  In open sky parts (not that many though ;-) ) the tracks overlap. Under the deep tree-covers the V800 was more "straight", the 945 sometimes was a bit more going left/right than the V800.

All in all: maybe the tracks could be more beautiful but distance-wise I just can't find a reason to complain.

I never tried it in cities though (I hate running in cities, so this will take some time until I see results there ;-)

GPS+Glonass with the just released beta GPS firmware

• Today tested Swimrun with the beta firmware, using GPS+Galileo, which I saw improvements on running.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3763939343

So the problem persist with open water swimming. "Three" first swims worked (one is just 1s, didn't remember I changed the sport already:) and latter three is blank.