This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS Accuracy

Didn't find thread about the subject in 945 forum, so let's start. There was something about the GPS soak and best setting for UK.

What are your experiences and what GPS setting are you using?

I had been using 935 with GPS+Galileo and set the same to 945 and the accuracy seems to be worse.

Maybe I need to switch to GPS+GLONASS as it's what has been optimized more by Garmin atm, what I've understood.

• I would actually. Always nice to be better, but 2% is acceptable. There's good days, better days, and not-so-good days. And unless you have a known, accurately measured course, how do you know which one is right? Just because the one device you've used has always been consistent does not mean that the new device is wrong.

• As an interesting aside, I came across this in a 1978 documentary about space technology I was watching just now. This is a GPS receiver. Yes, the whole backpack. At the time it could provide a fix with an accuracy of about 10 meters. So next time you are upset that Garmin Connect shows you on the pavement on the wrong side of the road just remember what a marvel of technology you are carrying in a 50 gram package on your wrist.

• GPS really sucks. The GPS tracks looks as if I'm running after having too much beer.

•  Please post links to some tracks that you have recorded so we can see, and possibly assist.

• Start and finish in the same place. gps accuracy is very bad in the last 1.5 km. Bad day?

GPS+Glonass

• Just got the watch two weeks back and yes, the GPS accuracy is terrible and this is coming from a 920XT user.

• Agreed, coming from the 230 I'm not impressed with the GPS accuracy either, I'm hoping they can fine tune it somewhat with the software. It seems at least the time to connect to the signal has improved with the latest firmware 2.50

• Generally I think that this 945 has been the most disappointing new Garmin watch that I've bought. From history 405CX, 310XT, 920XT, 935 and now this 945.

There are some nice features, like the maps, route back to start is really nice and of course all the new firstbeat stuff.

But then it just disappoints with the GPS, the main thing of a GPS watch, today with HRM problems, lost HRM connection and didn't want to get it back, and I thought my battery died, changed it, lost the recorded HR data all to realize that 945 just needed reboot before it knew how to speak ANT. Hopefully that ANT/BLE/BT update fixed that also.

• my former watch, tomtom runner one, it work much much better than garmin watch (i have had fenix5 and fr945), gps accuracy perfect. if i compare tomtom and garmin in this aspect, garmin is an expensive bad toy. :-(

• There is a new beta of the GPS driver available:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14947#Instruct

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.42:

• Improved GPS performance and reported distance for open water swim activity.
    • Improved performance in GPS + GALILEO mode.
    • Improved GPS performance for auto-racing activity.
    • Other bug fixes and improvements.