This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS Accuracy

Didn't find thread about the subject in 945 forum, so let's start. There was something about the GPS soak and best setting for UK.

What are your experiences and what GPS setting are you using?

I had been using 935 with GPS+Galileo and set the same to 945 and the accuracy seems to be worse.

Maybe I need to switch to GPS+GLONASS as it's what has been optimized more by Garmin atm, what I've understood.

• I had the same experience with the 945 and GPS + Galileo, I was not too happy about the results so I switched to GPS + GLONASS and the track looked spot on to me, at least as good as the 935. I used my 935 in GPS + Galileo and was happy with the results.

SA

• I've had several Fenix watches in the past, the latest being the F5x plus.  My first run with the 945 with GSP+Galileo was a much better track than I saw on any of the Fenix watches.  That's just one time, though.  I'll give GPS+Glonass a try and see what I get.  I don't have any experience with other Forerunners.

• 5 laps around an athletics track in the UK in lane 4 or 5 a few days ago. GPS+GLONASS. It doesn't get much better than this.

• Full ack. The same for me, I'm also coming from a Fenix 5+. Currently I'm also using GPS+Glonass because Ray said in his review that Garmin only optimized that combination for now. They are still working on the GPS+Galileo combination right now. So let's stay tuned :-)

• That's good! So changed to GPS+GLONASS yesterday, so we'll see what I get today with it.

This is from yesterday with GPS+Galileo:

• I think that there is some algorithm to detect 400m track :D

This is what I got with GPS+GLONASS:

It's pretty similar as GPS+Galileo. It's on some parts more correct, but Galileo has more consistency on the two loops.

And then for the reference one 935 GPS+Galileo:

More loops, but more consistency and more accurate.

• In my case I'm upgrading from fenix2 and the GPS accuracy on FR945 is no better, probably slightly worse, while running in San Francisco downtown (buildings etc... I get it). On the upside it acquires signal in no time compares to fenix2.

• Your GPS recording setting is set on 1 second or "smart recording". Smart recording is not smart at all;)

• After +2 weeks testing I can say that GPS accuracy for running is light years behind Polar V800 and also much worst than Amazfit Stratos (which is 5 times cheaper and has the same GPS chipset).

I tried GPS only mode and combos. GPS+Glonass seems to be the best but, as I said before, very disappointing compared to previous watches I had.

I hope that firmware update will bring an improvement...