This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pace During Workout is Incorrect

The calculation of the instant pace in version 7.11 deviates from the actual speed in about 0.5 min/km to 1 min/km.

• Any news on a fix for this issue?

I'm not happy to spend my time moaning on a forum but I own this watch since less than a year, it was the top of the Forerunner line at the time I bought it, and I can't believe that since more than four months it is basically unable to provide a reliable instant pace.

All the new features are nice, I appreciate the fact that Garmin improves the device functionalities for free, but here we are talking of a very basic function of supposedly the best running watch at the time of release, come on Garmin!

Is it so difficult at least to restore the old algorithm used to calculate instant pace before 7.11?

Kind regards

Pierangelo Marenaci 

• Yes, it takes a while before auto pause actually recognizes that you are not moving. Happens on both running and walking activities for me.

• It would seem that a fix for this bug will not be prioritized until it is clear that a significant number of customers are affected.

Please, please, please ...

If you are affected by this bug, please respond to Garmin-Kevin's request for info a couple of weeks back and/or post here.

• My faith on a resolution is waning. It appears as if the issue has existed for years in one way or another and on several models of watches. Why more folks don't come forward in reporting the issue is just baffling. As strange as it may sound, to spread the word, we need a young social media influencer to put a Garmin challenge out there to run an interval workout with audio alerts on and watch their data screen to see if they experience the same issue, and although the thought of a class action lawsuit is not appealing, it is also not appealing that over $600 was spent on this watch and now, after several updates it doesn't accurately calculate something so basic as current pace within an acceptable range. Here's a link: Incorrect pace alerts during workout - 945 SW 2.60 - Forerunner 945 - Running/Multisport - Garmin Forums of yet another person who posted over 4 years ago with basically the same issue. Out of curiosity today from reading that post, I put on my foot pod and set the speed and distance settings to always then did a suggested workout which was a 30-minute base run which I did outside. Normally, I don't see a huge problem with the voice alert on a base run. However, the voice prompt, data screen, and slow/fast alert were all reporting differently up to 9:00 in difference on pace and for the entire workout the pace showed anywhere from 17:00 to 19:00 minutes as if I were walking. Needless to say, it gave me a 6% execution score for the workout even though perception wise I was likely in target. There were even 2 occasions today where the slow/fast alert and the voice prompt actually said the pace was 0:00 when I was moving! At that point in the workout the data really became laughable. A Tempo training effort was applied for that 17:00+ average pace, I appreciate all the extra metrics Garmin has applied to the 945 but if it's at the expense of current pace then maybe it's not worth having because if current pace and the voice alerts and the data screens are constantly playing catch up with one another all of the data for that workout will be skewed in one way or another. I hear that they are supposedly releasing yet another watch next week. If that's true, this issue probably hasn't been given much if any attention as we are being led to believe. Oh, and just out of curiosity, is anyone else having the partially compatible device issue? Go to manage devices in Garmin Connect and click on Manage Device Priority. My 945 LTE and 4S both show partially compatible, seems rather odd that a Garmin device used on a Garmin application would only be partially compatible. It's not like either device is a Fit Bit or some other brand watch. It's a Garmin device, for what reason would it be considered only partially compatible? That nonsense started on February 1st, no answer from support on that yet either and the help feature provides no information as to why the devices are being considered partially incompatible only that your training information may not be accurate if they are set as your primary device...go figure, one of the top-of-the-line Forerunners is only partially compatible! So is that too, another factor that's driving this issue, who knows! 

• I feel bad for anyone still using 945LTE I had to sell mine and get the 255s the instant pace made the watch unusable. Couldn't do workouts by pace and it screwed up the metrics. Now with 255s I actually have correct training load with anerobic bar filled up. Love the smaller size too.

• I believe that some inaccuracy in the instantaneous pace is unavoidable, due to the relative error when measuring two positions at a very close distance with GPS.

Nevertheless it became MUCH WORSE with software 7.11 as all of us noticed and as I show with two similar interval workouts with old and new software.

Garmin should QUICKLY restore the old algorithm to allow us using the watch, then they could take the time to overcome the physical limitations of GPS accuracy by correcting the change of instantaneous pace with data from the accelerometers.

BTW, I read people complaining about the same problem also in the 955 forum:

forums.garmin.com/.../running-pace-filter-time-now-set-to-a-minute

• I can confirm, that I also have a more or less unusable instant pace. It seems to be a rolling average, I would guess of about 500-800m maybe? Short intervals are not detected at all, the pace is still rising when you have allready finished the interval and then it will come down pretty slowly prompting you that you are way too fast in your recovery bit..

I don't get why Garmin wouldn't just revert that commit that destroyed the (probably) most important feature. I don't know if you can call it even a feature because it's the core of the watch.

Furthermore, all the new features are more or less worthless if the data that goes in is not correct. Yesterday I did sprint intervalls (9x0:10s) and I haven't got any anaerobic benefit lol.

The watch is broken right now (at least if you want to train seriously with it). It is amazing that this is going on for months in such a big company. Are you not using your own products? Don't you care at all?

• Software version 13.24 was just released: hopefully Garmin fixed it.

• The 13.24 has already been updated on my watch for at least a day or two. It hasn't made a bit of difference. My experience actually seems a bit worse as the issue happened about 4 minutes into a 15-minute threshold segment on last night's run. Normally it's only prevalent on shorter intervals. Support had emailed me just two days ago on 02/14/23 at 8:18PM EST saying, "The engineers are investigating the issues with the voice alerts and pace." Not sure I buy that statement because apparently the scope of this issue has existed for years according to other posts in this forum under multiple watch models with no posted resolution. 

Although I don't believe that the partially compatible device issue is anything to do with the existing instant pace issue since that's been going on for years, it is still bothersome because when I ask what is causing my device to be partially incompatible the only answer I get from support is "I apologize but I don't have any additional information to provide at this time". So as of today, my watch is still showing partially compatible which makes it day 16 now. Support's response to that is, "We are also sending out an update for the 945LTE to show it as fully compatible in the same area shown in the provided screenshots beforehand, that should be showing up on the watch soon to install, it's currently being released in batches to users."

• Quick update:

Today I did the suggested workout of 3x 6min at threshold pace. It was the first interval run that I had with firmware 13.24 and I weared the HRM pro.

I had a usable and much more reliable instantaneous pace, similar to what I remember before firmware 7.11.

At the transition from high to low pace there is still a latency of approximately 15s, a bit less when the pace is increased from low to high.

Even if I was running at a very constant speed I noticed a couple of anomalous "bumps" in the instantaneous pace during the first half of the first interval and at the end of the second interval, but I think they were relatively short and not dramatic.

Thank you Garmin for addressing this bothering issue, I hope to see further accuracy in the next firmware release.

My workout data: