This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Consistent single altitude drop during the training sessions

I use ForeRunner 745 and I noticed that for the past 2-3 weeks, unless I'm doing an absolutely flat run (along the beach), during each of the training sessions there is a moment when the altitude suddenly drops 30-100m and then it stays there and it's wrong so I have to recalibrate. I have Auto Calibration on and sensor is set to Auto.

I run with a friend who uses Fenix 6 with the identical settings and there are no problems with their device.

Is that normal? Expected? What should I try to fix it?

• My sad personal take on this is that

• There’s a 99% chance it is a software issue. Users who have tried to rollback the firmware to version 10.40 have confirmed they are not experiencing the problem
    • People do not care about elevation data unless they are trail running, hiking, etc. so I assume they end up visiting this forum only after realizing there are some weird vertical cuts in the elevation graphs of their activities. That’s why we’re still just a minority here complaining about it
    • By exploring popular Strava segment results like the 2022 London, Berlin or Amsterdam marathons you can dig into data and realize the problem is on every 745 device
    • The 745 has probably not been a Garmin’s bestseller as the 945 or the Fenix 6 so maybe this is another reason why their internal process of investigation is so slow
  • Does anyone know how to downgrade to previous official version 11.10 or 10.40? Thanks

• Exactly! I think most people overthinking it. The problem first appeared in v11 and has been haunting us ever since. (Lately I had fewer random drops/increases but maybe it's because of the more stable summer weather in Australia). The bug seems to appear when Garmin auto-calibrates during the run. v10 didn't have that problem.

Unfortunately, I do not know any way to downgrade apart from factory reset. Even then I'm not sure of the result! 

, any suggestions?

• To those of you who have experienced the sudden altitude on multiple FR 745 units:

1. Did you make any changes to the Altimeter Settings on either watch?
      • Do you use Altimeter mode or Baro mode?
    2. Do you use the default settings for the Atlimeter?
      • Did you not change anything in the Altimeter's sensor menu?
  • Hi Kevin,

I have a default setup, I have not changed anything, please see below:

• Auto Cal. = On
    • Sensor Mode = Auto

What is the right setup to fix this issue? Should we disable auto calibrationo? 

•  altimeter default settings, auto-calibration ON, sensor mode AUTO

1. Did you make any changes to the Altimeter Settings on either watch? No, I use Auto Calibration and Auto Sensor
      • Do you use Altimeter mode or Baro mode? auto mode
    2.  Do you use the default settings for the Atlimeter? Yes, default settings for altimeter and baro
      • Did you not change anything in the Altimeter's sensor menu? No
  • Hi Kevin,

1. No changes were made to my Altimeter settings – same as they ever were. This mode has always been set to "Auto" (and not “Baro” or “Altimeter”)
    2. Yes, the default settings for the Altimeter were used. Nothing was changed.

Additionally, I have experimented with these settings, but the problem returns in every case.

This problem can only have to do with the consolidation of the 945/745 update cycles starting with Version 11. I can only imagine how much time/energy/dollars would be saved when this is finally realized to be a software problem and stopping all the senseless returns.

Also, if available could you please paste directions to returning the watch back to software 10.40 where this was not a problem.

Thanks for your continued support Kevin!

Jamey S JS

• Hey - to answer your questions:

1. No I did not make any changes to the Altimeter Settings on either watch
      • The Altimeter is set to Auto
    2. Yes I use the default settings for the Altimeter 
      • I did not change anything in the Altimeter's sensor menu

I don't know if this matters, but I almost always run with both a Garmin HRM-Pro strap connected to the watch, as well as Aftershokz bluetooth headphones connected to the watch. Who knows if that could possibly interfere with the Altimeter but figured I'd report it just in case. I'm not sure if there's any difference in the issue if I have those other devices connected or not.

• I also use headphones and the hrm-pro
    And sometimes I run without. The problem always occurs.