This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivosmart 5 receiving GPS data but does not record distance

My Vivosmart 5 stopped recording distance correctly when tracking activities. The problem started occuring after a year of use (approximately).

What happens:

Vivosmart is connected to phone correctly and says that it receives GPS data. Tracking the activities is normal.

After finishing and saving the activity, the distance is wrong: it is '-.-', 0 (zero) or a really odd distance (much too high).

The track and all other statistics are recorded perfectly fine. So GPS connectivity is ok.

Only the distance is wrong.

I already tried turning on/of, resetting to factory standards, making sure the right firmware/software is running, disconnecting/de-registering the device on my phone and registering it again, etc.

Saw some older threads with users with the same problem, but without a solution.

Anyone know what to do?

• I have the exact same issue with my Vivosmart 5 since a few weeks. Either it just stops counting the distance in the middle of my run or it says I ran 80 km in 10 seconds.

• Also had the same situation in autumn. Later I had got software (firmware) update and the issue didn't repeat. But after that I was running only few times outdoor, so it is possible the issue still exists.

To solve the issue you can restart the band - so it helps for some time.

And one time when it stopped counting the distance I have tried to pause the activity and then resume - it also started to count normally.

When I have got this issue for the first time, later I have started to use garmin app and also xiaomi app (zepp life) while running, so at the end I manully fixed the total distance.

But for really it sucs... This expensive(!!!!!!!!) band is just a crappy watch Smiley

• This has started again for my vivosmart 5, after the firmware upgrade it was resolved for about 6 six I think. For the time being I'm using Strava to fix the distance and manually update the garmin activity details.

Garmin, fix this issue!

• I’m back again with the same issue! Just started again the last 2 days, yesterday walked 89km and have just cycled 69km in 11minutes at a pace of 324kmh. Full reset to factory settings worked for a while so will be trying that again 

• It will help just for short time :D

If you will check the map, you will find that your trajectory is ok. So I guess Garmin is calculating the distance not in the cellphone, but in the band. If so, this is very dumb decision! The band can't count the distance without cellphone's GPS. So technically the distance could be counted in cellphone. And I believe we (human race) have many good solutions for this application - Garmin doesn't need to create something new. But I guess they decided to be "smarter" and they have failed!

P.S. I just stopped wearing my band. I also got pain in my elbow, but once I tried do not wear the band - the pain gone after 2 days. I started to wear it again - the pain was back. I also tried to wear it for short time (1hour/day) but it still was pain in the elbow.

Never had issue with xiaomi band. But I have used it many years ago (smartband version #2 as I remmeber). But I still use xiaomi app for running distance - it works without band.

Xiaomi is much more cheaper. And it works!!! So stop supporting this Garmin company by buying their products - they will ignore your needs anyway ;)

• I'll try the same. I walked 70+ km today, apparently. And that was just round the shops...