This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Touchscreen Locking Up

Hello all,

As of October 4th, we have released software version 5.40 that includes improvements for this issue. If you have experienced this issue we encourage you to update your Lily. Your watch will automatically get the update if paired to the Garmin Connect app. You can also use Garmin Express to update your Lily. See Adding and Removing Devices in Garmin Express for more information about adding your Lily to Garmin Express. Post any feedback in this thread.

• I've been having the same issue since I received the Lily Sport watch 2 weeks ago. It never happens when I'm recording a workout indoors. I have used it to record my weight lifting sessions, with zero issues. However, when I attempt to record a walk or bike ride, outdoors, It goes dark within 5 minutes of beginning. I have removed the device from the connect app and my phone. I reconnected it, and will see if that does anything this evening. (It was a common thing with the Apple Watch.) The issue is either connected to being outdoors, or to the activities that are typically done outdoors. As another person said, I have also attempted to do both with and without GPS, and still end up with a dark screen. In the meantime, whenever I'm outdoors exercising, I'll make sure to carry a backup charging dock and the charging cable, while I stop my session midway through to turn it back on. Sure, it records the activity while dark, but not the steps... 

• I’ve been having the same issue on my five day old lily. First froze on a walking activity and has frozen at a random time every day since. It only restarts when plugged back in. Software is 5.30. Is there going to be a software update soon for this or have I spent a lot of money on a substandard watch. 

• As my Lily watch turns off when I do a walking activity, I went for a walk without activating the walking activity (and with the "move iq" mode deactivated too) ..... but despite everything, after 15 minutes, it froze again

• My partner also has the locking up problem when she isn't doing an activity. Although if she starts an activity, lockup is certain to follow. It looks nice though even if it has been completely useless as a timepiece/smartwatch ever since she got it in March this year. That was 6 months ago. I'm not holding my breath 

• I may have found a temporary fix. I have been testing it now for just over 40 minutes (still testing). I have used a long sleeve shirt to cover the watch while riding my bike. It seems to be keeping it from locking up. This is the longest I have gotten it to record an outdoor workout. I’m not saying it will work for anyone else, but it is certainly worth a try. Now to make a band to wear over it to block the sunlight…

• The first test I did with GPS off, the second test wasn’t as long, but I did it with the gps on, and it also didn’t shut off. Both tests had the lily sport covered with the sleeve of my shirt. 

• 1. No 

2. After recharging the Display stops showing display. Alarms still work and when alarm goes the screen displays the alarm and then time before going blank again. The app cannot find my watch either. If I reconnect the watch to the charger the app syncs and display works 

3. Is this a problem with most lilies? I have had my watch for about a month and have had the problem for the whole time. I am ready for a replacement however I am concerned that this problem is affecting most lilies.

• Hi, none of the proposed fixes work to solve the screen locking up. Above what I've read on the forums for this issue, is that for me when I start an activity, it'll be fine for about 5 - 10 minutes, then the screen will lock up AND IT WILL END THE FITNESS MONITORING. Not the time tracking which will be fine, but there will be no heart rate, no distance, no intensity. When I get a 13 mile bike ride and have no heart rate data, no distance data, nothing logged in the app, but it says the activity lasted an hour and forty minutes (the activity was an hour and twenty minutes, and then I couldn't stop the activity until I got home and plugged the watch into the charger) and I went 0.64 miles (must've been when the watchface died) - whoop-di-doo. It's a watch only at that point and I am so disappointed with this issue. When I got back and put it on the charger to reset, the battery was at 94%. 

• After reading RuffMom's post, I wonder if this has something to do with overloading the processor with the auto-brightness, even though one would think that the sensor wouldn't care about brightness if the screen wasn't on? I had the screen freeze happen one time when the watch was doing an auto-activity and I didn't want it to, so I tried to close out of the activity as it was starting and the screen froze and then died. I figured it was just because I tried to make it do too many things at once.

• I have since tested the walk function, with GPS on. I was able to go more than 20 minutes without the watch shutting down. I just made sure to keep the watch face out of the sun.