This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 satellites lost

Anyone still exp this problem? I get a sattelites lost message almost every time I ride under a bridge/road, no matter if it takes me 5 or 30 seconds to get to the other side.

I will try using GPS only or GPS+GLONASS, which will hop help prevent this from occurring again. 

• Can anyone confirm whether this has now been fixed?

• Not to my satisfaction. Did a ride today down the Henry Hudson Greenway in NY, which sort of goes under the elevated roadway for a bit. Running the current beta on my 830, using GPS+Glonass, I lost the satellites multiple times. By comparison, my Edge Explore 1000 (for which Garmins forums no longer exist, grrr), also on GPS+Glonass and mounted next to my 830 (to its left, so, technically, it was even further under the roadway), did not lose satellites even once.

That cinched it for me. I returned the 830 (thank you, REI) and will keep on keeping on with the Edge Explore 1000 (which also has the benefit of not having: a virtual partner that you can't shut off, sharp turn warnings that go off even if you have them turned off in all your navigation profiles or a grade data field that over smooths and has ridiculous lag).

I liked the improved battery life of the 830, but I think it came at the expense of using a GPS chip that is not up to snuff, and I doubt very much that software will ever fix it. Kind of an analogue to the situation with the 820, where Garmin underpowered the processor so much in search of battery savings you could not meaningfully ever pan the map page (it didn't want to redraw). So they fixed that in the 830 hardware, but then screwed up the GPS.

Now that it has Varia integration, will give the Wahoo Elemnt Roam a go. Not quite as many hardware bells and whistles, but they seem to have their software act together (and the smartphone companion app actually makes sense).

• That’s such a shame:( I got the Satellites Lost message myself on one occasion thus far.

Former Member is anything being done to fix this?!!

• Any news here with the new Beta Firmware and GPS Update? Still considering buying a Edge 830, but the satellite lost thing is a big bummer. 

• Nothing at all, unfortunately. The GPS update was just a fix for slow satellite lock times.

• and - We did add a fix for the satellites lost message in 5.24 and subsequently the 5.25. This is outlined in the change log under the 5.10 to 5.24 changes here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14955 

• When will the 5.24 vesion officially being released?

• I just cycled in to work for the first time in a while (due to bad weather lately); 

I work in central London and I have always had issues with the Edge 830. For comparison purposes, I recorded this morning's ride on my 6X Pro Solar (track was near perfect in spite of the tough environment);

The Edge 830 was beyond horrible- just looking at the line on screen crisscrossing the entire map screen told me something was wrong (or should I say, the same as before); This must be a hardware problem as I am now on my second unit and seeing the exact same unacceptable performance.

• I am on the latest beta (5.26); yes, this time I didn't get a "satellites lost" message but I suspect this is due to Garmin removing this notification altogether, rather than solving the problem.

Unacceptable...I don't get how it is possible for a tiny wrist-worn device to massively outperform a bigger device like a GPS computer that is mounted on my handlebar and, therefore, comparatively more static.

I will be reaching out to Garmin for an exchange or a refund...