This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes - Edge + watch

Hi all! 

I'm new owner of Edge 830. Before that, I've used my FR935 for bike activities, and every ride increased my Intensity Minutes. Now I'm riding with Edge, without FR935 on my hand. In both cases I always use HR strap. Edge do not increase my Intensity Minutes. What's more - day HR timeline don't shows graph for bike activity. Of course in concrete ride I can see HR graph. On both devices I have Physio TrueUp set on.  Do you have similar behaviour or it's something wrong with my setup? Garmin can't help me... Disappointed

ps. e.g. recovery time from Edge, activity is visible on my FR935.

• Guys, I dont want to speak too soon, but I have a feeling that there are other solutions, too, not just wearing and pairing a HRM-Pro I simply feel that I got some IM once when I used my Edge 530 and wearing my Fenix 6x on my coat (in the winter) .

Let me test it in the coming weeks. I will try to figure out what happened then exactly.....

• You need any heart rate chest strap and you need it paired to the watch, and you need to have the watch with you while you do the activity.  The watch can be in a coat, your Camelbak, anywhere just so long as it is receiving the heart rate info.

I currently do a version of this; I have my chest heart rate paired to both the 530 and my Instinct watch.  When I put on my chest HRM, it doesn't matter that I'm still wearing the watch because it is getting the heart rate from my chest strap.  The 530 has nothing to do with getting Intensity Minutes or Body Battery.  As has been noted, it all happens in the watch, so the watch must be receiving heart rate info from somewhere.

• Sure, but my practice is different.

I use a HRM-3 from Garmin, so I can confirm that any HR monitor may be OK.

paired it with my watch, but during my rides I never connect it. Why? It would be impossible to do it without starting an activity app on my watch  which I avoid in order to not confuse Training Load. I observed that if I record an activity both with my Edge and my Fenix then the result is a chaos as regards 7 days TL numbers even if I discard the activity after stopping it instead of saving it.

Another option would be to constantly usethe HR widget or a similar in order to keep the HRM onnected, which is impossible, because after a couple of minutes my watch returns to the watchface from HR widget, so the HRM would disconnect.

I agree that 530 has nothing to do with getting IM. All happens in the watch, I can confirm it.

My point is that it may happen that if your watch later gets the info of your ride logged by 530 due the enabled Physio True Up it has the chance to re-calculate IMs of the relevant period. Of course, it may happen later with a time lag, but at the end of day the daily IM can include it.

But I am quite sure that it does not happen always. When may it happen? Maybe only when Fenix did notrecord any HRs in the relevant time span like when you switched off its OHR, or when it was not worn, etc. 

But your post made me think that during the ride I remembered and mentioned earlier maybe my HRM was connected to my watch during the whole ride without starting any activity on my Fenix which was looking for nearby sensors..

• It is a false piece of info, alas. Earlier it needed 10 minutes at least, but Garmin has modified its algorithm (at least on newest watches) in order to adapt to the change in the IM protocol. And now there is no minimum of 10 minutes.

My exhaustive tests with my Fenix 6x confirmed that after 4 minutes of moderate and/or vigorous HR I get IMs. And not just 1, but all the 4 minutes. And I feel that this minimum of 4 minutes is not  an alignment to a new standard, it is more like a cautiousness of Garmin, because it does not trust the accuracy of the very short OHRs.

Check  my posts here and you will see that it is not me who says that there is no 10 or minutes rule, but it said by Garmin itself: 

forums.garmin.com/.../1408951

• My Instinct watch stays connected to the HRM-Dual without recording an activity on the watch and it does not need the heart rate screen to stay active to stay connected.  If I'm wearing the HRM it takes precedence over the wrist heart rate until I remove it.

• I don’t disagree that it happens in fact, although it is not what Garmin says: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix66s6xpro/EN-US/GUID-0AA57B88-BA13-4983-ADAC-7EA7DABC735D.html

And if it has been implemented so as you experience, I mean for all the Garmin watches with activity tracking then it is possible to fully get rid of the relative inaccuracy of the OHRs of the watches not just when one records an activity, but for the whole day. One just has to be ready to wear a HRM with a chest strap constantly or more favourably a more comfortable hrm with an armband. As a byproduct one will get reliable HRV (R-R) data, too. On the other hand it must have an effect on the battery.

Out of curiosity: what happens when you wear you Instinct displaying the watch face and you put on your hrm dual? Do you get a pop-up msg “hr sensor connected” the same way as when running the sports app?

• Out of curiosity: what happens when you wear you Instinct displaying the watch face and you put on your hrm dual? Do you get a pop-up msg “hr sensor connected” the same way as when running the sports app?

"What happens..."  No message or indication it has connected other than if I am on the heart rate screen of the Instinct I'll see the heart rate momentarily go blank as the HRM-Dual takes over.

"Pop-up..."  No, again, nothing.  But, if I navigate to the "Sensors" menu within the watch it shows the HRM-Dual connected.  Right before I take it off I also generally navigate to the heart rate screen and again see the heart rate go blank when it is removed and the wrist heart rate takes over again.

I'll agree that a little icon on the main watch face would be nice to verify that the HRM chest strap is actively connected.

• Thanks for guiding me.

Now I can confirm that it works the same way with Fenix 6X, so Garmin should finetune its support article.

I wonder whether any other ANT+ sensors work in the same way (I mean I use my HR strap through ANT+), so if I wear my shoes with Suunto footpod then maybe it is connected if I start to walk even if I dont run any sport apps??

I tested Garmin Tempe earlier, and it connected only if either I ran a sports app, or used the Temperature widget or I manually connected it in the Sensors menu.

• I also run an Edge 530 and a Phenix 6. I normally don't wear my watch when I ride and connect a chest-strap to my edge 530. Always seems that my 530 activities don't properly count towards my intensity minutes. since this thread if over 3 years old, this is still not fixed. I'm about ready to drop the Garmin ecosystem all together. 

• It's not fixed, before I saw this thread, I posted about it here, because a recent update ALSO broke Training Status on my 1040. 

forums.garmin.com/.../1457649

Honestly, I bought my Fenix 7 and 1040 from Best buy with an extended policy, so I might just return those items if this is Garmin Product Management's attitude. It's not the CS team's fault, it's the result of bad PM teams and poor roadmap prioritization.