This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does your phone stay connected to the 830 / 530 ?

Former Member
Former Member

Like the title says...this is why I ditched my previous Edge.  Has anyone with previous 1030 issues had better luck with the 830 or 530?  I really want to keep using my varia vision and radar but this is a huge deciding factor before laying down the cash.

• Exactly. My 830 usually connects adequately with Mate 10 (9.0) once I open GCM, but will sporadically disconnect during a ride and unless I turn off Bluetooth on both devices and force close GCM, won't reconnect. GCM is excepted out from all power saving utilities on my phone and is still running when the problem happens (hence the force close and restart). 

Not scientific, but I feel like I had fewer drops on earlier Edge 830 firmwares....

• Just had my first ride after updating my 830 to Firmware 4.1. Experienced continual drop outs on my phone connection. This did not happen on the old firmware although I did also enable WiFi on the device which someone else mentioned might have caused the issue for them

• Worst Edge device i bought.

My older 810 worked flawless.  

• Problems with this firmware 4.1. 

Lost all connection to sensors (power meter, ios phone, bontrager lights and heart rate sensor)  after 58 min of riding.

after that, it was unable to pare again any sensor. Only rebooting the edge.

Please fix that.

• I just got the 830 and indeed, it won't stay connected to the phone at all. It would connect for 5 minutes, then drop. I manage to connect them again after 10 minutes of fiddling about with the Bluetooth on my phone an garmin, but after a bit it disconnects again...

Very low quality product to be honest... Live Track is rendered useless due to this and I can see many people experiencing the same issues

• It is strange why some affected by this issue and some not. I did now a number of rides with it. Neither the phone (iPhone) disconnects, nor any sensor and I am running 2 Wahoo and 1 Garmin.

• Agreed. It would be very frustrating having these connection problems.

I had one power meter drop out (Gen 1 left crank Stages) when I first got my 530 a few months ago, think I had it paired over BlueTooth.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 9 and don't have any dropouts for rides 1-2 hours.

I'm also running a Tacx Neo 2, Stages Gen 3 L/R PM, old Garmin Ant+ HRM, Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor (only for speed) and Di2 into my 530 and have't had any issues yet.

I'm only uploading rides to my phone via Bluetooth, I have NOT setup WiFi on the Garmin.

• When i got my 830, it dropped like Tmobile drops signal. post 4.10 update, it reduced. But it still looses connectivity sometimes. It lost on my phone every-time. I had to disable and reenable bluetooth on my phone. I verified its not a problem on the phone as its connected to everything else. I used to be at 30% on my recommendation (to my friends ) level. but you can say, 4.10 improved a lot. But its still not prime. 

• switch on Edge 830, connected to phone, do sync, then disconnected, some minutes later connected, then disconnected, some time later connected, same as usual as on 1030

only Forerunner 945 is connected all the time, i don't understand, why the watch makes no problem, same as Fenix 5 before, but Edge always disconnects!

• Ah - maybe one remark - It is recommended to use ANT+ for all sensors as long as there no  real good reason to use BT for sensors.

And maybe that affects then the remaining single BT connection to the mobile in a positive way?

My sensors are all connected by ANT+.