This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does your phone stay connected to the 830 / 530 ?

Former Member
Former Member

Like the title says...this is why I ditched my previous Edge.  Has anyone with previous 1030 issues had better luck with the 830 or 530?  I really want to keep using my varia vision and radar but this is a huge deciding factor before laying down the cash.

• 830 works properly (stays connected to the phone) only for a relatively short period of time after the initial pairing (a day or two). After that it will no longer stay connected and it will not upload rides through BT, unless you manually launch Garmin Connect app on your phone. Starting Garmin Connect app usually makes 830 to successfully connect to the phone and sync the data.

I don't know what is the triggering event that makes it switch from proper operation to this "broken" mode (a phone reboot? another BT device connected? something else), but the problem is 100% reproducible with all users, no exceptions. It is just a matter of "when". This is a major issue that makes this device virtually useless.

BT stack implementations used in virtually all Garmin devices has always been utterly incompetent. But this time they somehow managed to make it even worse than in my previous 510. Personally, I will return my 830 to Amazon for a full refund if the update fixing this issue is not published within the next week.

• Yes, no difference seen between my old Edge 1000 and new Edge 830. Both stay connected without problem, and the sensors also work flawlessly. Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8+

• I have never had the 830 disconnect from my phone ever. I commute daily. What does happen is the phone does not connect to the 830 initially and I have to open GCM to get it to connect. Once connected I have never had a dropout whether the phone has been in my back pocket or pannier.

• I am now finding that, pretty consistently, my device is losing contact with my phone and not restoring it. It doesn't happen every ride, but I would say that it's doing it on most decent length rides.

e.g. last night, I arrived home at 6pm and noticed from the alert on my phone (helpful new feature!) that it had lost connection to the Garmin some 45 minutes earlier, after only 30 minutes riding, and had not recovered again. As a result, LiveTrack didn't work properly, and the ride didn't automatically sync. I had to cycle bluetooth on both phone and Garmin, wait a bit, and then it reconnected. I then had to manually stop LiveTrack, and initiate a manual sync from Garmin Connect on the phone, at which point the ride sync'ed with GC and Strava.

I've also now seen at least one instance of my cadence sensor disconnecting and not recovering, mid-ride:

I'll raise a support ticket with Garmin on both issues today.

• ...and the reply comes back: "Can you please factory reset your <almost brand new> device?"

I really dislike lazy technical support and I'm afraid that this is the laziest of lazy replies. No request for additional diagnostic data, or any constructive options to make things better. Just reset it and hope it goes away.

Very poor and I've replied to tell them as much. Maybe my device will end up being returned too...

• I have issues as well. My 530 disconnected maybe half my rides with original FW 3.5.

Trying beta 3.55 I've had it disconnect on 2 of 2 rides so far. So that messes up Live Track, makes incident detection and phone notifications and stuff useless. This is with a Samsung S9.

Really, really frustrating on a brand new device with a pretty new phone that they still can't get this right. 

• Mine even with Beta 3.55 keeps drooping phone connection. 
    Xiaomi Mi A2 with latest Android 9 update.

• I have just upgraded(?) from my trusty Edge 810 to an Edge 830.

I have been happily using Garmin Connect on my Android phones for many years with my Edge 810 and 9 times out of 10 it would connect and upload fine without issue. However with the 830 as some people have reported I need to go into Garmin Connect before the device will connect and upload. My Fenix 5 plus also seems to maintain connection and upload without issue.

Not sure if the bug issue actually the Edge or the Android software but it is something Garmin should really have got sorted by now

• Same issue with my just purchased 830, Livetrack doesn't work. At the start of a ride need to have Garmin connect open and make sure the device says connected. Off on the ride it may stay connected for a minute, or an hour - who knows. Once it disconnects it will not reconnect automatically. If you stop and faff around with the connect app and the 830 you can get it connect, then off you go again and it may stay connected for anything from a few minutes to a who knows? Latest firmware installed  (4.1) and some improvement in staying connected.  Previous Garmin 510 - Livetrack worked, (same phone) at the start didn't need to open the connect app on the phone. Phone in pocket, press start on the Garmin 510, livetrack started when I finished I pressed stop on the Garmin 510. Livetrack stopped and data uploaded. So I have spent more money and gone backwards - more than disappointing, No wonder my mates are migrating to Wahoo. Oh and btw I have factory reset the 830, removed the app on the phone and re-installed. No difference.

• I'm having similar connect and disconnect issues as others have described here. I find that turning off WiFi seems to make the BT connection to the phone more stable...